Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
PitchSlap
Human being with feelings

Default Media Explorer: MIDI files not respecting Start On Bar

When previewing MIDI files in the Media Explorer they start on bar regardless of whether the box is checked or not.

Audio files preview as normal.

I don't know what pre this started in. Can anyone else confirm?

Last edited by PitchSlap; 01-03-2018 at 06:13 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
vanhaze

Yes, i can confirm this.
For me, a longstanding issue.

OSX 10.13.2
Reaper 5.71pre7 - 64bit
Old 01-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
PitchSlap

Interesting. It seems recent for me.

(pitch-shifting not working with MIDI on the other hand is definitely a long-standing issue for me )
Old 01-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Interesting. It seems recent for me.

(pitch-shifting not working with MIDI on the other hand is definitely a long-standing issue for me )
AFAIK: pitchshift control in Media Explorer doesn't work for MIDI files by design, so it's not a bug.

Altough i can understand it's confusing to dial that pitch shift control and experience that a MIDI file isn't affected.
Maybe Cockos should make the pitch shift control greyed out or disappear when you choose a MIDI file in Media Explorer ..
Old 01-06-2018, 01:07 AM   #5
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
AFAIK: pitchshift control in Media Explorer doesn't work for MIDI files by design, so it's not a bug.

Altough i can understand it's confusing to dial that pitch shift control and experience that a MIDI file isn't affected.
I swear it worked years ago, and can't understand any design reason for it, and plenty of usability reasons for it.

Surely pitch-shifting a MIDI file is ridiculously trivial from both a coding and computational resources perspective, but obviously there could be other factors I'm unaware of.

It's kind of off topic, but it might make sense to get two birds stoned with one rock if the MIDI playback portion of the Media Explorer is revisited anyway...
Old 01-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #6
vanhaze

Dunno if this is useful info to ya but what i always do is inserting the JS Midi snap to Key on the VSTi Track through which a midi file in ME is monitored.

That way, i can set the wishful key/scale in JS Midi snap to Key plugin and any midi file i preview in ME is then transposed to that key/scale.