Old 01-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Mickmeister
Human being with feelings

Default Mapping drum samples to specific keys

I'm going to be moving to an apartment soon, which means that recording my acoustic drum kit is going to become a thing of the past - so I've begun looking into drum plugins like EZ Drummer. Do any of these have a way of mapping the samples to specific keys on a keyboard? I don't see myself working with pre-recorded loops, I'm thinking more in terms of banging away on the keyboard as though it were a drum kit - so it would be useful to have a way of controlling which keys play which sounds.
Mickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmeister View Post
Do any of these have a way of mapping the samples to specific keys on a keyboard?
I think they all do. There is a basic MIDI standard that translates to keyboards so every software's Kick drum, for example, is triggered by the same keyboard note.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Jason Lyon

The General MIDI layout for drums is long established, and it's pretty intuitive in terms of the relative pitch of each instrument.
You can find or create a MIDI note name map file (a simple TXT file) so the names are displayed in the piano roll for reference. As for reassigning the specific notes to trigger samples, it's usually possible. I'm guessing you might have to do a bit of research into the under-the-hood features of Kontakt.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #4
mschnell

AFAIK:

- Kontakt does not use the GM standard for drum mapping
- Kontakt does not provide remapping the drums (supposedly you can use/do a Kontakt script for that, but not when using the "Player" version of Kontakt).
- There is a Midi Note remapping JSFX in the stock Reaper distribution that reads a file providing the map.
- There are several such files available in the "Stash", maybe one fits your project, but you also can easidly do one yourself.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:10 AM   #5
slipstick

In every drum/percussion plugin I've ever seen the individual drums can be triggered by MIDI notes. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to play MIDI loops. So they can be triggered from a keyboard too.

Some of them use the GM standard note mapping, some don't, often because they contain things not in the GM percussion set. But it's always possible in Reaper to map them so that at least the main drums in a conventional set use the same MIDI notes.

Have fun.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
Mickmeister

I've been messing around with this some more...Addictive Drums does what I need. You open up a window with a keyboard display, then just drag your sample onto the key that you want to trigger it. Maybe some of the other drum plugins do it as well. The standard GM mapping doesn't suit my needs, but once I've mapped the keyboard to my liking, it's the next best thing to wacking a brick and mortar drum kit.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:32 PM   #7
Hindu Stan

Check out Drums Anywhere. Triggering external good samples with fingers or sticks on any surface.
Hindu Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Mickmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindu Stan View Post
Check out Drums Anywhere. Triggering external good samples with fingers or sticks on any surface.
That looks very cool. I downloaded the demo but I can't get it working. I sent an email to their tech support...we'll see what happens.