Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #41
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Yes, consistency rules!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #42
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
If you select several tracks and run an action called "insert FX" would you not expect that FX to be inserted in all selected tracks? I'm always surprised by the fact that most things in REAPER work like that: select several things and what you do in one of them isn't changed in the rest as well. I call that overkill because you have to go changing things one by one instead of having some sort of intelligence from the program itself: if the user selected all these things and he's changing one then the most probable expectation is to change it on everything that's selected.

Simple examples: select 4 tracks and try to change their pan law, or pan mode or even try to show/enable the volume envelope. There are tons of cases where things are changed only on the track you're touching. That's what I would call overkill, having the user to deal with the same thing over and over again when the program could easily do it in one pass.
great!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:45 AM   #43
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
If you select several tracks and run an action called "insert FX" would you not expect that FX to be inserted in all selected tracks? I'm always surprised by the fact that most things in REAPER work like that: select several things and what you do in one of them isn't changed in the rest as well. I call that overkill because you have to go changing things one by one instead of having some sort of intelligence from the program itself: if the user selected all these things and he's changing one then the most probable expectation is to change it on everything that's selected.

Simple examples: select 4 tracks and try to change their pan law, or pan mode or even try to show/enable the volume envelope. There are tons of cases where things are changed only on the track you're touching. That's what I would call overkill, having the user to deal with the same thing over and over again when the program could easily do it in one pass.
I have to agree on this one.really good point
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #44
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Still in pre3:

When I render my regions to stereo WAV, the render speed gradually ramps up when before, it was always consistent around 107x real-time. There are no plugins active or SRC needed etc. When I use 5.76 the rendering speed is correct and constant for the entire process, no ramping up from roughly 80x to 107x.

I even tried using a different SSD and got the same result.

So I guess nobody is experiencing the render speed ramping up in 5.79pre when in 5.76 the render speed is constant the entire time?

If not, I guess I'll dig deeper on my system and test on my laptop but since it's a REAPER version change that induces the issue I'm not sure the issue would be on my end.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #45
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
So I guess nobody is experiencing the render speed ramping up in 5.79pre when in 5.76 the render speed is constant the entire time?

If not, I guess I'll dig deeper on my system and test on my laptop but since it's a REAPER version change that induces the issue I'm not sure the issue would be on my end.
no one else gets render speeds eve close to that so I don't think you'll get much sympathy :lol:

can you also compare that with the "icc18" version?
Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #46
BlackBart

My render speeds are much slower...tons of plugins...but I have noticed the render "ramp-up". So yes, for me it seems like something has changed recently. Other than the pre3, nothing has changed in my system. Win10
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #47
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
no one else gets render speeds eve close to that so I don't think you'll get much sympathy :lol:

Fair enough. I guess I'm not complaining about the speed of my renders but it's definitely a new behavior that the render speed ramps up to full speed. Up until 5.79, my render speed was the same from start to finish because I don't have any plugin processing happening at this time.

I use REAPER differently in that when I render my stereo WAVs as regions out of REAPER, there are no plugins or sample rate changes needed. My sounds are already dialed in when they are recorded from the analog chain and captured on to a new track.

All my plugins are fully bypassed using REAPER's method of bypassing.

I do have plugins on items but since the audio has been captured back from my analog chain on a new track, no plugins are needed for the final rendering. I just render a stereo WAV of each region at 32-bit floating point at the same sample rate (96k) and then I finish the mastering processing in WaveLab.

I'll test the "icc18" version tonight.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #48
EpicSounds

Quote:
since the audio has been captured back from my analog chain on a new track, no plugins are needed for the final rendering
Is a render even necessary? What's different between the analog capture and what you are exporting?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #49
citizenkeith

Quote:
Is a render even necessary? What's different between the analog capture and what you are exporting?
I'm not the OP, but I would still be editing audio even if I wasn't using plugins.
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #50
MRMJP

Quote:
Very precise beginning and end trimmings/fades of items after the analog captures, and lots of item copies sent to RX6 standalone for spectral repair. This way when I load the songs into WaveLab, they are perfectly edited other than the spacing between songs.

It wouldn't really work to just grab the raw audio from the audio files folder. I set my regions to render from REAPER with all the edits, plus 200ms of digital black before the first beat/audio so that in WaveLab, my track markers have 200ms of digital black (silence before anything happens).

I actually love doing spectral repair work in REAPER with RX6 set as REAPER's primary audio editor. I have custom actions to get item copies sent there very quickly, it's usually just a few seconds of audio and not an entire song.

Then, if I have to do a recall of a song with a new mix, I know exactly where all the spectral edits/repairs were done and I can find and redo them quickly.

Here's an extreme example of that:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/97kwq79ybo...AQTlL.jpg?dl=0

When you do all the spectral repairs in RX6, there is no real record of where all the edits were made so doing them in REAPER with RX6 as the primary editor gives you a good record of where all the edits are, and gives you an easy way to get back to the original audio and try the spectral edit again or just forgo it.

Last edited by MRMJP; 02-26-2018 at 01:00 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #51
MRMJP

Quote:

The ICC version has the same seep ramping up issue though it interestingly never broke 100x speed whereas the non ICC version goes from about 80x to just over 100x speed.

I just triple checked and the official 5.76 version renders at 109x speed right from the start through the end like all previous versions of REAPER have done.

Very strange.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #52
MRMJP

I think I've narrowed this down to the Monitor FX slot.

I removed NUGEN VisLM2 VST3 from the Monitor FX slot and I get a normal and consistent full-speed render.

Are there any changes in 5.79 that would cause Monitor FX to affect the rendering speed?

I know that I said I had no FX enabled but I've never had the Monitor FX influence the render speed until now so I didn't think to mention it.

Last edited by MRMJP; 02-26-2018 at 07:28 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:36 AM   #53
MRMJP

I tried even more testing and with some meters inserted like Waves Dorrough, I get the rendering speed decrease and slight ramp up.

Then there are times that even after removing any Monitor FX I get the rendering speed decrease and slight ramp up but then if I restart REAPER and test the rendering it's OK.

Did anything change in this area from 5.76 to 5.79?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:34 AM   #54
sievr

when vlc3 support?
sievr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #55
daxliniere

Quote:
v5.79pre2 - February 23 2018
+ FX: fix updating bypass checkbox in floating window when bypassed from FX chain window
Regarding synchronised refresh, if you use the Routing window to create new channels on a track, you need to close and reopen the Routing window for those new channels to be available to all sends.

daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #56
MRMJP

FWIW, my previously mentioned issue of RX losing focus when item copies are sent to RX seems to be caused by the Leapwing Audio DynOne plugin. When I put all instances of that plugin to be fully offline, the problem goes away.

I've of course reported this to Leapwing Audio incase anything might be done on the REAPER side to prevent things like this from happening with other plugins.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:06 AM   #57
mustgroove

I'm also seeing MRMJP's "ramping-up" render speed issue on v5.76 - no Monitor FX at all, and on a fairly simple project in the scheme of things
mustgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #58
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
I'm also seeing MRMJP's "ramping-up" render speed issue on v5.76 - no Monitor FX at all, and on a fairly simple project in the scheme of things
Interesting. It seems to be related to 5.79 but then again, maybe installing 5.76 to A/B clears up whatever the issue is and it could come back.

Either way, this is a pretty new behavior.

FWIW, the RX focus issue seems to be narrowed down to the Soothe plugin and having many instances of it. It seems that when REAPER goes Offline as RX6 takes focus, Soothe causes the GUI to kick back to REAPER.

If I take the instances fully offline or take my computer offline entirely, the issue is gone. Probably something that needs to be fixed by Soothe.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:30 AM   #59
Justin
Administrator

The ramping-up-of-render-speed issue probably has to do with the Live FX multiprocessing improvements that are in the prereleases but not the RCs/releases. I'll see if I can duplicate or see why, I assume you have Live FX multiprocessing enabled. Do you have anticipative FX on as well?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #60
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The ramping-up-of-render-speed issue probably has to do with the Live FX multiprocessing improvements that are in the prereleases but not the RCs/releases. I'll see if I can duplicate or see why, I assume you have Live FX multiprocessing enabled. Do you have anticipative FX on as well?
Thanks. Sorry I didn't see this earlier but I can look at it today.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #61
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I do have anticipative FX enabled. I can't remember if I had Live FX multiprocessing but I probably kept that to the default setting.

I'm using the official 5.77 release now so I guess I can't see my Live FX multiprocessing settings until the next pre-release with it.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:26 AM   #62
Travesty

I agree, it always gets me that you can create sends to multiple tracks at once, but you can't set them all to a different output from the pop up which appears after you do this. It just pops up the individual io page
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote