Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Funkybot
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Editor: Only Show Selected Notes In Lane

This is something I used to do in Sonar but can't figure out in Reaper...

In Sonar's Piano Roll there's an option called "Show Velocity On Selected Notes." What this does is only display the selected notes velocities in the Lane at the bottom of the Piano Roll. This allows you to quick draw velocities for a series of notes without effecting the velocity of non-selected notes.

I've found out how to scale the velocity of selected notes without effecting others, but not freehand draw velocities on only the selected notes. Is there any way to do this in Reaper?
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
This is something I used to do in Sonar but can't figure out in Reaper...

In Sonar's Piano Roll there's an option called "Show Velocity On Selected Notes." What this does is only display the selected notes velocities in the Lane at the bottom of the Piano Roll. This allows you to quick draw velocities for a series of notes without effecting the velocity of non-selected notes.

I've found out how to scale the velocity of selected notes without effecting others, but not freehand draw velocities on only the selected notes. Is there any way to do this in Reaper?
hmmmm that would be a nice feature to have, but don't think we have it directly... scale velo's for selected yes but not just paint the velo's for selected.

However you can do a workaround while you create a feature request for that wish.

Select what you want to draw velo's for, rt clk and choose note properties and set all those to channel 2 [or 10 or whatever as long as it's not 1]
Then at bottom of midi editor use the Chan: drop down menu to pick the channel that you set them to... now only those notes will show in the editor...

and now if you hold control you can paint their velocities...

Then of course you again rt clk on them and with note properties set their channel back to 1, and finally at bottom of midi editor, set the Chan: drop down back to 1

Actually it's much easier to do than to type these hints.

I do think being able to just paint velo's or other cc controls just for selected notes is a good idea and if you make it a FR, I will vote for it.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
hopi

Hey.... guess what... I did not know we CAN do it

select your notes and hold Alt+Shift and paint the velocities or other CC's for ONLY the selected notes. geeez I'm so glad to find that sonar didn't trump reaper on this.... I'm so dumb
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
Wolffman

Or you could use the midi filter ( top left ) button.

Choose the midi chanel
Choose the event type ( note for eg: )
Choose the note number

Edit velocities

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Hey.... guess what... I did not know we CAN do it

select your notes and hold Alt+Shift and paint the velocities or other CC's for ONLY the selected notes. geeez I'm so glad to find that sonar didn't trump reaper on this.... I'm so dumb
Alt+Shift...perfect! Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Or you could use the midi filter ( top left ) button.

Choose the midi chanel
Choose the event type ( note for eg: )
Choose the note number

Edit velocities

Cheers
Thanks for posting this suggestion, but I was trying to avoid all the extra steps. Check out the wonderful Alt+Shift method if you haven't been using it. It makes painting velocities fast and easy.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Wolffman

Hmmm, i can'y get the Alt+Shift thing working.

If i select just the hi-hat notes for eg:, i have the velocity values shown in the cc lane, i hold alt+shift and try to adjust the vel values but nothing happens.

What am i doing wrong ?

I am on pc btw

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
israeltandrade

Wow, old topic, but I´m trying to solve the same problem. I simply don´t want to see other velocities that I´m not currently editing. (even with the awesome trick of Alt + Shift)

Other discussion thread anyway:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....66#post2013866

Someone? I´ve come up with the idea of a script (I think this could be native) for the filter option "Set filter from selection". So I would right-click a note on the keyboard roll and use some shortcut and voilá.

The only problem is that I suck at coding. :P
israeltandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
israeltandrade

Problem here... Even if that script made it possible, as soon you select a note the filter goes away.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #10
xpander

I think the problem here is that when you set the filter from selection, all the different filter values will get set up automatically according to the values from the selected notes. Then when some of the filter parameters don't match any of the (selected) notes anymore because of some edit, filter becomes inactive.

To work around this, you could set eg. velocity fields from 0 to 127 and as long as you only adjust velocities, filter stays active. But if you then eg. move the notes to another pitch, filter goes off again. You could of course keep on unselecting other parameter fields or adjusting their ranges before using the filter but this is surely inconvenient if you only wanted to keep showing the selected notes.

This behavior goes back at least some versions of Reaper 5, but I can't remember if it's been different earlier on.
edit: just checked further, same in 4.78.

Last edited by xpander; 07-20-2018 at 01:27 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
juliansader

If you are not using MIDI channels for other purposes, you can perhaps isolate the selected notes by temporarily changing their channel to X and then running "Show only channel X".

Or have "Show only channel X" permanently on in the filter, and temporarily switch non-selected notes to another (hidden) channel.

For example:
* Invert selection.
* Set events to channel Y.
* Invert selection.
* Set events to channel X.
* Show only channel X.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #12
israeltandrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I think the problem here is that when you set the filter from selection, all the different filter values will get set up automatically according to the values from the selected notes. Then when some of the filter parameters don't match any of the (selected) notes anymore because of some edit, filter becomes inactive.

To work around this, you could set eg. velocity fields from 0 to 127 and as long as you only adjust velocities, filter stays active. But if you then eg. move the notes to another pitch, filter goes off again. You could of course keep on unselecting other parameter fields or adjusting their ranges before using the filter but this is surely inconvenient if you only wanted to keep showing the selected notes.

This behavior goes back at least some versions of Reaper 5, but I can't remember if it's been different earlier on.
edit: just checked further, same in 4.78.
Wow, thanks! That was a precise analysis of the problem! :O The filter function is becoming clearer to me now and I will try the custom action suggested above by juliansader.

Last edited by israeltandrade; 07-20-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #13
israeltandrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
If you are not using MIDI channels for other purposes, you can perhaps isolate the selected notes by temporarily changing their channel to X and then running "Show only channel X".

Or have "Show only channel X" permanently on in the filter, and temporarily switch non-selected notes to another (hidden) channel.

For example:
* Invert selection.
* Invert selection.
* Show only channel X.
That did the job perfectly! But how can I go back to original state?

I think in another action macro like:
* enable/disable filter (it would be in hand if there was an only enable option)
* select all notes
* set events to channel X

AND tryied to make these two macros a cycle (toggle). BUT, two problems appeared:

1. How do I make a MIDI Editor Cycle action? (I´ve never did one before for the MIDI Editor)
2. Because the action is "enable/disable" for the filter, it could become very messy if I enable the filter for other purposes.

Any light on this please?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #14
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by israeltandrade View Post
1. How do I make a MIDI Editor Cycle action? (I´ve never did one before for the MIDI Editor)
It's the same procedure, but you'll have to select MIDI Editor in top right Section of the Cycle Actions window. That way it should become accessible in MIDI editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by israeltandrade View Post
2. Because the action is "enable/disable" for the filter, it could become very messy if I enable the filter for other purposes.
Sorry, couldn't quite grasp it, could you elaborate on this one? What are the dangers you want to avoid?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #15
israeltandrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
It's the same procedure, but you'll have to select MIDI Editor in top right Section of the Cycle Actions window. That way it should become accessible in MIDI editor.

Sorry, couldn't quite grasp it, could you elaborate on this one? What are the dangers you want to avoid?
Thanks! Just made a cycle with juliansader macro:

* Invert selection.
* Invert selection.
* Show only channel X.
STEP
* Filter: enable/disable event filter
* Edit Select all notes
* Edit: Set events to channel 01
* Edit: Select all notes at pitch cursor (so I can back again to the first selection)

Very well RESOLVED guys! You are the best! Long live the REAPER community! \o/
Old 04-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #16
Buy One

My rendition of this step cycle action in two variations for 1 note and for a number of selected notes. The 1st one i've bound to MIDI note Ctrl + double click, the 2nd to MIDI note Alt + double click. The bindings are of course not written into the attached .ini dump file.
Buy One is offline   Reply With Quote