Old 06-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
ChrisBlue
Human being with feelings

Default DRUMS

I saw a YOUTUBE thing with a street artist playing plastic tubs as drums and this is much more the kind of sound I want as I detest the snare drum in all its hissy forms and the toms tend to have too much reverb always. Does anyone know of a plugin that offers alternative drum sounds?
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
Judders

Most drum libraries include snare-off, or you can just write drum parts that don't include snare.

Another option is just to buy some plastic tubs and record them. Either play parts in live or use ReaSamplomatic if you want to programme the parts with midi.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Does anyone know of a plugin that offers alternative drum sounds?
^yus-- i take it you mean street drumming-bucket beats yeah? like so?>

if so--then yeah-- {totally wikkid m8,,loving them gnarly rickiddy rack slappin and donking type tones!!} quite a few plugs can emulate this quite nice--
your probably looking more towards physical modellers like kong or w/e.
a lot of synths can use samples as base oscillators these days-so it makes shaping them tones much easier itb.
it really depends on the characteristics of tone you want to produce+ ultimately,your not really going to be duplicating like the real player plays-because of the natural environment and recording equiptments used.
got big love for bucketbeats and all that type of freestlying rhythm performers--some of these guys are,or were pro...so they know how to bang da beats of anything-literally. =)

even your existing drum kits can be reaeffected to new tonage- modulations (especially filter and amp envelopes) can do that.
i was just mentioning the qaulities of the steel drums to an older friend the other day-and the littler use they get in some genres of music-- i really like them tones,but not all day looong.

just record your own tones from household or exotic items,whack em in a decent reasampler >> and your good-to-go-bro.
the art of emulation is studying sound and how it is produced virtually...so also knowing how your synths or samplers work fluently=obviously helps a lot!!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

I have heard a snare drum every two beats of my entire fucking life, and I'm sick of it! I have this theory that drummers have an obsessive need to reach toward their lap every so often for "some reason".

While there's no plastic buckets, the Twisted Kit EZX (for EZ/Superior Drummer) has a lot of alternative percussions. It's actually a bunch of the stuff that guy uses on Tom Waits' records. It lacks a good stereo room mic and some of the pieces don't have as many actual layers of dynamics/variations as I'd like, but I have overused that kit for years.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 06-16-2018 at 08:46 AM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
Bri1
Banned

actually quite like strike2- it has some fairly decent shaping + fx shapers=not tooo shabby..
^ 1 can sit with that plug+ kawa cat's exellent fx randomizer -and get gnarly widit.

a superb acoustic drum modeller is always handy otherwise.. hinthint@ cockos to produce it.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:52 AM   #6
ChrisBlue

Thanks everyone!
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote