Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Gypsysinger
Human being with feelings

Default Hello and a little plugin help please

Hi everyone, I'm new to the DAW world and figuring out how all this stuff works. I figured Reaper would be a great place to start and wow was I right. Basically, if I can think of it....there seems to be a way to do it. MAJOR thanks to everyone at cockos for this fantastic program!

Now, I'm just getting into adding plugins and I have two questions right off the bat.
FYI: I'm running Reaper 4.61/64 on a Macbook Pro

1. I'm using Reaper's default directory Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST to install my plugins which works fine if they are in VST format but when I get a plugin as a *.dmg file and unpack it in this folder the plugin "disappears". There are no files anywhere that I can find no matter what search string I use. Here's the weird part, when I tell Reaper to auto-detect, it actually finds them and uses them but I would really like to know where my computer has (in all it's computerly wisdom) put these files so I can keep track of them in the future. Anybody know the answer?

2. I was installing the ThrillseekerLA.dll plugin in the Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST folder but Reaper doesn't even "see" it. Auto-detect and Re-scan don't work. Anybody know what's going on with this one? I searched for dll but I don't see anything on the forum.

That's it for now except to say a huge thank you to YEP for the now infamous WDYRSLA thread that finally made me believe I could do this (Smurf for taking the time to catalog it all) and Kenny Gioia for explaining how to do it over at Groove 3.

I look forward to posting my first mix for everyone to hear and criticize (creatively I hope)

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Sinner

I find it is easier in the long run to have your own plugin directory. Easier backup, delete, etc. I organize things by developer. I tried once to organize by effect type, but it became difficult since so many plugin packages had their own little dependencies.

I dont usually use Macs, but isnt there a search function in finder? That should let you be able to find the plugins and see where they are being installed from the dmgs by default. Then just move them to your new folder and direct Reaper there. See, Options/preferences/Plugins/Vsts A path to the main folder, e.g. C:Plugins will work for the subfolders (at least on Win, I assume for Mac)

As for ThrillseekerLA I thought it was windows only?

There may be a way around that. I don't have any first hand knowledge. Sorry.

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/tag/mac/
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Banned

Hi Gipsysinger, welcome to this forum!

Your issue 1. could be a permissions problem. The path seems correct, but note that there is also a similar per-user path; prefix with ~/ - compare:
Code:
/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST/
with:
Code:
~/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST/
VST plug-ins should reside in either of those folders (the former being the most commonly used).

As to issue 2: .dll files are for Windows. For OS X, the extension for VST plug-ins is .vst.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Gypsysinger

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

Banned: Good to know about the dll files. Thanks.

Sinner: You are right. There is a way to search your entire computer. Unfortunately, I've used every search string I can think of and it doesn't work.

I'll keep looking. Hopefully, someone else will have had this problem, found a solution for it and can enlighten me a bit more.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
xpander

Add one of those "disappearing" plugins into a track. Open the Project Bay from the View menu (Project Media/FX Bay) and choose FX tab. You should see the paths for your plugins currently in use in there.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
ponk

Welcome! fwiw, a Mac doesn't use dlls, that's only Windows. Mac VSTs are written for OS X, and aren't interchangable. Macs also use AUs (Apple's own Audio Units), which go into the components folder (rather than the VST folder). And don't change the default install path, it works just fine (and is preferred) for Macs. Sorry for short post which could have more detail, but on my way out the door
ponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Gypsysinger

xpander: Great idea but they don't show up there either. They are on the track and working....just invisible. Weird right?

ponk: Thanks man. I didn't realize the Mac VST's were different than the PC's. I'll watch for that in the future.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
ponk

More details regarding .dmg files and your "dissapearing" plugins. A .dmg file is actually a disk image, not an archive. So when you double click it, you are mounting a disk, not unpacking a file (don't worry about the details, it's a Unix thing), Once the image has mounted, you will see its contents - usually vsts or aus, and hopefully a readme What you need to do (usually) is drag the vsts (or au) to the Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST (or component, if AU) directory. Sometimes, you will also get an installer on the disk image, and you don't have to do any of the manual stuff (more often with pro stuff than free).

So you probably still have .dmg files in your plugins dir, but Reaper won't see them as anything useful. I usually just download the .dmg to my desktop, mount it, install as appropriate, and then drag it to the trash. Hope this helps!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
Gypsysinger

Ponk: Thanks again man. Your right, that is what usually happens. Just not in this case. When the file unpacks, the VST or AU files are not appearing for these plugins. They just "vanish into thin air".

However, they ARE on my computer somewhere because Reaper can still find them and use them.

Perhaps you're right and it is just something simple I'm overlooking but I know my way around a computer. It's just the DAW world I'm new to.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #10
ponk

If you could give me an example of one of the plugins giving you problems, would be happy to take a look at it on my system.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:02 AM   #11
RSG

Hi Gypsysinger. I also bought my first Mac earlier this month as Jamstix will soon be available on that platform. Generally I am very pleased although a bit worried about a post on the Mac forum that concerns unresponsive controls with certain vsti's (and crashes too).

Anyway. If you have a look at Reaper's preferences - (Command-P, I believe) - and go to the VST area you should see that by default Reaper selects two locations to look for vsts. One that I might describe as the 'all user' area that you have found, and the other will be a 'single user' area.
Have a look in the single user area (something like - Hard disk // Users // Username // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST ). Installers sometimes put them in there.

Good luck.
RSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
j79

I am not sure i understand what happens to you when you doubleclick a .dmg...what should happen is that it "mounts" as ponk said, and from there you should be able to either doubleclick an installer or drag the .vst to the right folder.

One thing that might be worth menitioning is that the user library is hidden by default in newer versions of OS X. The user library would be the one starting with ~

One easy way to get to that is to choose "go" from the top menu when finder has focus, the top menu is the one at the very top of your screen with the little apple to the far left, click it, press option/alt and then choose the library that will appear in the dropdown while you hold option/alt.

The many libraries can easily confuse a new mac user, as there is a library, a user library, and a system library

Library is global, user library is user specific and system library is best left alone, in this context at least.

EDIT: and check library/audio/plug-ins/components...some may be AU's instead of vst's

Last edited by j79; 04-09-2014 at 02:08 PM.
j79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
Gypsysinger

RSG and j79: Thanks guys. Yes, I've done all that. I know about the "hidden" system library and using GO to get to it. That is where I have my VST plugins installing (when they work).

What usually happens is I mount the DMG file (for any program on Apple) and then unpack it. The files that are contained are unpacked in the folder the DMG file is currently in and then I choose where I want these files to be stored.

I should explain to everyone. I am no stranger to computers or to Apple computers. Just a complete newbie to the DAW world.

This is why when files completely disappear when I unpack them I start scratching my head and asking for help. I have never seen this happen before in "general" programs. It's just these VST files that are disappearing on me.

Thanks again though for the helpful advice.

Has anyone ever had this SAME thing happen to them before??????
Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #14
RSG

I would suggest the next thing to consider is that you are installing as Admin and viewing as user.
I was reading a post in the forum recently about someone trying to uninstall a plugin completely and Reaper was still seeing it. Worth taking a read of that if you could find it from my rather sketchy description, as it was along the same lines as your problem.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Gypsysinger

ponk: Hey man I missed your post earlier. Sure thing. I was messing around with Bittersweet from Flux and the Delay Trio from Soundhack (delay, pitch delay and bubbler).

RSG: I can see the logic behind what you're saying. I've always thought I was viewing as admin but I'll have a look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have any idea where that post was?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #16
j79

Could you mention a few of the plugs that has the DMG-issue?

Havent seen it before, but i can try it out and see if its a general issue

EDIT: i need to read better...ill check it out
Old 04-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
j79

For what its worth the delay trio you mentioned works as expected here...installers show up fine when opening the dmg.

10.9.2, late 2012 imac
Old 04-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #18
ponk

Yeah, delay works as expected for me too. For shigs ang gittles, try it my way, since your description of the problem doesn't match up with the install process. Download a new copy of Delay Trio (.dmg) to your desktop. Double click to mount (this is distinctly different than unzipping an archive, more like plugging in a USB stick). You should see a disk icon, just like the icon for your HD, called SHPMsomething Double click the disk icon, and you will see installers and docs. Double click on the Delay Trio .pkg (installer), follow the prompts (choose for all users, default location). and it will place three vsts in the expected directory.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: png mounted image.png (26.9 KB, 318 views)
File Type: png vst directory.png (53.3 KB, 324 views)
Old 04-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #19
RSG

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=137219

Hi Gypsysinger,

It is the 'Uninstall plugins?' post a bit further down in this section. It may not help but it is certainly educational.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #20
Gypsysinger

Success!!!

I found out where all these plugins are disappearing to.
There is yet another "Library" folder. Here is how you get to it.

From your side panel under devices select your computer.
(Then if you are in column view this will be easy to see)

Select: Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST .... Voila!

Also there are components for these plugins
Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

Hopefully this will help some more people having this problem.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it!
Old 05-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #21
sj26

Default I need help too

So I was able to use 7-zip to mount the dmg (the file is now open-able and i can see all the contents). I put the entire folder in the VST directory/folder and in options/preferences/plugins/vsts i added the folder I was able to download using 7-zip. (It's a set of Waves plug ins). But afer re-scanning, apply, and okay, the new plug ins don't show up anywhere in FX. What am I doing wrong? I tried adding the entire folder to the list of paths, as well as the individual folders within the general waves folder.
sj26 is offline   Reply With Quote