Old 02-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
CrankyChris
Human being with feelings

Default Sounds like a dull film over all my mixes

No matter what I do in my mixes, they are cloudy. I don't know if it's too much reverb or it needs a low end cut.... I just never can get to the level of clarity of commercial mixes. It's like there is a dull film covering and clouding the sound.

This is just a demo (results are always regardless of time spent) but if you go to 3:50, everything in the mix is a sample....and I still hear it. So it's not the room, or poor recording technique....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xe...ftdu8__8MwJzIQ

Your advise/suggestions would be appreciated
CrankyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
RDBOIS
Banned

Hmmm... I don't know, but I kind of like the 'smoothness'.

I'm not a fun of harsh sounding mixes, nor do I enjoy extreme high end sheen.

But, if that's your thing, you can try boosting around the 10-15K region with EQ. Maybe not on everything, but on things you want to cut through - perhaps the cymbal crashes, or maybe a bit on the snare? Both are very far back and dull sounding. But that song is piano driven, and I think that part is doing a good job.

If you want the vocals to pop out a bit, perhaps a small boost around 3-5K? Be careful if you boost higher because you will get good sizzle but also sibilance (SSSSS and CHHHH's).

Again, I don't mind the smoothness in your song. Perhaps a bit more presence in the snare and cymbals.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
CrankyChris

Thanks for listening and thanks for your input!
Old 02-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
smueske

Bear in mind, I'm no expert, but here are a few things I noticed in looking at / listening to the file.

1.) Are you comparing mix versus master? This hasn't been mastered, so you can't compare loudness levels.

2.) The vocals, I feel, are too loud, and the drums can come up a touch, so the mix feels a little weighted toward the frequency areas where the vocals sit.

3.) Your mids appear to be notched in some way. There is a clear comb in the frequency pattern.

4.) It needs more body in the 200hz area. For yucks, I threw on a linear phase multiband compressor and emphasized the lower mids / upper lows, which helped considerably.

Just a few thoughts for you to take or toss.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
msundh

It's not dull as such, but I understand what you mean.
I don't think the vocals are too loud, but they don't get thrue enough.
The harmonies could be louder in some places.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
zacki

I'm also no expert, but you can try the JSFX exciters from Stillwell and Loser. Theres also a Presence EQ from Liteon
Old 02-27-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
CrankyChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
3.) Your mids appear to be notched in some way. There is a clear comb in the frequency pattern.
Thanks for the feedback. What are some keys I can listen for to identify the comb filtering? which instrument? What part? I'm not hearing them...but I believe you.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
It's like there is a dull film covering and clouding the sound.

.. advise/suggestions would be appreciated
Hello--you know,i think it's the midside processing and a lot of tones are sounding to be sitting around the same 'middy' frequency range--there's a lot going on between 300>>1.5khz. for me-- around 5-600 hz is my 'pressure zone'..
TBCH- think the drums don't have enough weight--sounding a little dry and flaky here-- not much oompf with that mix m8... fwiw.
When you fold it down to mono,your loosing a lot of bv's it seems---when folded to reaper's mono mode l-r (sides) the piano is main focus--lots of cymbal splash..
When integrated over 5secs-the scope seems quite full and even over the range but...maybe,,,, dial back the midside and go full throttle with spreading full mix and maybe a touch of extra dynamics on drums-tad wet fx on vox..? dunno.
Also liking the smoothness...it's a really pleasing track and vocal.t4s.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #9
jonboper

Good advice here already, but just to add, I think the rhythm section could be crisper, could have a little of that sparkle, and could be louder as others have said (but I think the snare is at a good level). Vocals sound a little far away - could this be a mic distance thing?

I too like that smooth thing with the guitars - great guitar tone happening there.
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:11 AM   #10
dePUNDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris View Post
No matter what I do in my mixes, they are cloudy. I don't know if it's too much reverb or it needs a low end cut.... I just never can get to the level of clarity of commercial mixes. It's like there is a dull film covering and clouding the sound.

This is just a demo (results are always regardless of time spent) but if you go to 3:50, everything in the mix is a sample....and I still hear it. So it's not the room, or poor recording technique....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xe...ftdu8__8MwJzIQ

Your advise/suggestions would be appreciated
This is a lovely song.
The mix isn't dull at all for me but I get what u mean. It's actually more to do with depth. It kinda sounds extremely light, flat and devoid of any warmth.
I guess that's what you're actually complaining about.
dePUNDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:21 AM   #11
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Hi Chris! Haven't heard from you in a long time!

Remember this???

HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #12
timothys_monster

The mix definitely works as it is. I really dig the arrangement and vocals!

Drums sound awfully like samples, though. Doesn't match the overall smooth sound.

It is definitely more about putting different elements in focus. You can achieve it through automation or better through dynamic playing.

I always like to quote Graham Cochrane when it comes to commercial songs/mixes:
Try to always catch the listener's attention! In each part of the song something has to be slightly new or in a different balance.

Regarding the vocals: If you want to go more pop, try more compression to get the "in-your-face" feeling and a really nice plate verb. Maybe 1.8s of decay...

On new trick I learned about reverb (in parallel processing): compress the reverb track, so that it doesn't affect the attack of your original vocal track too much.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #13
ROOST

What a lovely song.
Gives me a Counting Crows.. Recovering the Satellites (album) with a hint of Jackson Browne vibe.
I would agree the drums could use a bit of tweaking.
Rest of it sounds fantastic through my cheap bx5 d2's.
Overall I would say it's warm sounding not dull or film like.
ROOST is offline   Reply With Quote