Old 04-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
ginodi
Human being with feelings

Default Three albums completed with Reaper

https://soundcloud.com/user-316287814/albums

I am looking for some input and commentary on the work I have done with Reaper. I have completed three albums, and I am hopeful I progressed; the first one "Where You Are I Shall Be", was my first attempt with recording like this since the good old days when it was done with tape reels, and, while some like it a lot, it does have flaws. Learning process!

There is no need to comment on my vocals, for I am well aware I am not gifted in that department, but finding a singer to work around my schedule proved impossible, so I did it myself. I am taking lessons now.

I have an obsession with writing music, and I play everything myself, except the drums are MTK (I am looking to get EZ Drummer). I am doing this most for my legacy in this life, as I just hit 59 years last month. Thank you! Grazie!
ginodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
Sinner

Enjoy the guitar playing and interesting song structures in particular.

AS far as improvements, the main thing that jumps out to me on the rock pieces is that is doesn't have that cohesive room sound. Like it sounds very much like you, as it sounds like you did, recorded each part in isolation.

Of course, this is quite a subjective thing and much, for example, dance music, makes no attempt to get a sound like things are in the same space. But a lot of rock, even recorded with isolated overdubs often goes for this.

Techniques include, in the simple sense, using 1 or 2 reverbs that are the same on different parts of the mix. Often a 'close' verb and a 'far' verb that might be similar. But EQ and panning also matter.

Here is an example of something I recorded that was done 100% track by track. In fact, I recorded the drums, my (male) lead vocals, synths, and rhythm guitar in my basement studio. I recorded the female vocalist with a laptop in a closet in another state. The lead guitar and backing male vocals were recorded by two other friends in bedrooms in 2 other states. All except what was in my studio was recorded dry and I used a couple reverbs, and eq, and panning or lack thereof, to give them some cohesion, reverbs that sound similar in size to my studio.

http://www.agreeablerattles.com/1/Ohio.mp3
Old 04-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
ginodi

Thank you, Sinner! That widening of the overall sound is what I haven't learned yet, and I do so want to get this down before I start recording the next one in late fall (I need a break). I like your song, and it does have that width.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginodi View Post
Thank you, Sinner! That widening of the overall sound is what I haven't learned yet, and I do so want to get this down before I start recording the next one in late fall (I need a break). I like your song, and it does have that width.
I'm sure you can find other good info on this, but I wrote this on this topic for a local studio. I hope that is helpful.
https://www.blueroommusicstudio.com/...n-a-1d-system/
Old 04-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
ginodi

Yes! This is great! Your band is quite good as well.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
RDBOIS
Banned

Salut

There is really a lot of great ideas in your work. I could go on and point out some technical issues, but I'm sure you're probably aware of most of them. Honestly if these issues were corrected you're songs would compete with some of my favorite bands of the 70's and 80's. Some of your songs reminded me of YES and also Marillion (the early years) - two very creative progressive bands.

The first hurdle in making music is coming up with creative ideas, melodies, and lyrics that fit well together. You are talented at this part. The second part is getting these ideas out as best as possible - recording, mixing, and producing - which is a completely different art form and also very technical. This part is lacking, but we do what we have to do, with what we got. I'm also lacking in gear and technical skills - I can't seem to get my ideas to sound the way I'd like them to sound.

Recording your songs is a great legacy. Keep doing it - it's all good.

Singing properly is very difficult. We all sound great in the shower, but when we record ourselves and listen to the result we realize that singing professionally is art form that requires technical skills. For some it comes easier, but for most it requires a lot of work. When I record my lyrics I typically record 5 to 10 takes of the same song - and sometimes I delete everything and start all over another day. Most of the time I have to cut and paste the best parts of the 10 takes I did. Most lyrics are done this way - read up on this on the Internet - you'll see how Mariah Carey uses Auto-Tune and Micheal Jackson had to record up to 48 takes!

A trick I found is to sing many takes, cut and paste the best parts, slap a VST aut0-tuner, add some effects and render that track. Then bring that vocal track back into Reaper and set yourself up to record the vocals all over again. But this time, put that auto-tuned track in your headphone mix while you sing over it. Do it this way you'll have a proper guiding track to help you locate and aim for the correct pitch/notes. Essentially you are DUBBING the vocal, but once you're done re-recording you delete the auto-tuned track and keep the new one. You'll notice right away how this new vocal track sounds better! Having a guiding vocal track really helps. It really is a lot of work.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #7
ginodi

RDBOIS: Thank you for your commentary and contribution. The early Marillion was a huge influence, and the band, Mercyful Fate (minus the Satanic stuff) was another. The influence of the later band can be heard on the songs: Speak Nostalgia, and Like Paper Dolls. The comments on the songwriting is where I feel quite happy, for I have worked on that since I started many years ago. Nowadays, when I approach songwriting, it is like something to play around with and mold. Every song is written on piano, even if the song doesn't have a keyboard part.

I am quite limited on what I have to use. My interface is a Presonus USB, and while it is quite low-priced, it gives zero latency and has never failed me once. On vocals (being what they are), I use a directional microphone, no pop filter, and I approach it from the side, then I normalize everything after recording the tracks, apply Reatune (a must!) but I let it run automatic to correct pitch. All guitars are run through a guitar processor (Korg AX1500G--never used an amp plug-in) into the interface. My main piece is a Yamaha DGX-650 and it runs straight into the interface. I have only played keys for two years, never had a lesson, but I know scales and chords of all sorts, and my main goal is to make it sound good...nothing more. I have an old Midi controller but haven't used it. I like the MTK drums, but they can't play in anything but 4/4 or 6/8. So, I do understand the limitations on equipment, but I have a wife and family, so anything that hurts the household budget is a no go.

I will take all advice and apply it on the next one, and I am so grateful for the input given. On "Where You Are I Shall Be" I followed some bad advice on Youtube, and did a less than fair release, though the songs are quite good. On "Philosophical Observations" I mixed everything HOT, and at -3 on the Master Fader. My listeners like this album the most for some reason, even though the bass on Upheaval will blow one out of the car. On "Maladies" I went back to -5 as the focal point. I keep trying to improve each one.

I see the big thing as not rushing through, and I guess the advice of. "if you want to get anything done in life, do it NOW" may have been reason to rush. When we are young we have lots of time, and as we get older time is limited...may be all in our head in truth, but to some degree...a bit true. Once again, Thank you!