Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
Silver70
Human being with feelings

Default Computer requirements for reaper.

My computer crashed and i need to buy a new one. I want a desktop that will support reaper. I do a lot of recordingon a fostex vf-16 and mixing in reaper. I want to record more directly into my computer. I use a focusrite scarlett as my interface. I wouldlike to use some of the reaper addons at some point. I will mostly be recording solo, complete songs, but recording tracks one at a time. When i go to Bestbuy tolook at computers i just can't figure out what i need. The computer i used was probably 10-12 years old, so i assume anythingi get can handle what i want to do, but i also don't want to get the wrong thing. I don't plan on using the new desktop for anything other than recording.

So here are my questions:
1. How much Ram will i need?
2. Will i need a video card? What kind?
3. What type of processor?
4. What storage type? SSD or HDD?
5. How mucg cache memory?
6. Hard drive size?
7. What feature will make my computer run faster?
8. How many ports do i need? I also need an optical port for my VF-16. I need one for my focusrite.

Thanks,

John
Silver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
SkunkStyle77

If you've got some patience, I would suggest building the computer yourself. There's a guide on which components should fit together here: http://www.logicalincrements.com/
I built my own about two years ago and now it would be somewhat in the "Very good" tier. Never had a problem recording, video editing, design and some gaming as well.
I'll answer your questions according to what my experience is, but I'm no expert in this matter.

1. RAM: I think 8GB is enough, you can always increase in the future if you feel you need more.
2. GPU: I would get one, and I think the GTX 1050 Ti is sufficient for recording.
3. CPU: One with as many cores as possible. I have an IntelCore i5, but depending on what you do I'd save on the GPU and invest on an i7.
4. Storage: SSD is much faster. You can always have an HDD for your other things that don't have to do with your musical production.
5. Cache memory: as much as possible, again.
6. Hard drive size: 256GB is kind of enough for me, with another HDD. You can recycle the HDD from your old computer. If you only rely on an SSD, go for the 500GB.
7. It's a mix of various factors, the guide on logical increments is quite good.
8. I can't answer this question and I don't want to say something stupid.
SkunkStyle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

If you're going to be recording audio and not using any virtual instruments, and are happy with 20-40 tracks or so, then something like a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, Windows XP or 7, is probably fine. Video card doesn't matter much (other than the impact it could have on the audio drivers), hard disk also doesn't matter much. Not that you could buy that now, but if you have it around the house...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
foxAsteria

More RAM the better, 8GB min, 16GB is plenty.

Desktops tend to have more powerful processors than laptops (and cost less) and that's the most important thing, i7 if you can afford it, but i5 is plenty and a newer AMD is fine as well. Try to get 3GHz or better and 4+ cores is also a good idea. This should help.

Don't waste money on GFX card. Absolutely unnecessary for recording. The above advice is incorrect. You can save a lot by skipping this. It's only needed for gaming and video editing etc (Reaper can do video editing though, so maybe you'll want one down the road).

Get a big drive, 500GB or more. Recordings take up a lot of space and if you install other programs, with the OS that's easily up to 100GB or more. You don't want to get into the position of having to delete recordings to make room for new ones.

You should look for lots of USB ports. Never can have too many. You probably don't need the optical port, but they are common enough. But you should check the ports on your TV, since many new HD models can be used as a computer monitor. Getting a computer with a compatible port could save you money on the monitor too if you needed one.

If you want to keep your computer running fast, only use it for music. The more programs you install and the more you use the internet with it, the more potential there is for problems.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-25-2018 at 12:15 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
drumphil

If you do definitely want a discrete graphics card, I recommend AMD cards as they seem to have fewer DPC latency issues than NVIDIA cards that can get in the road of low latency sound card operation.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:14 AM   #6
mschnell

AFAIK, you even can run Reaper on a Raspberry Pi (some $40).

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote