+ Video: do not run video processors in monitoring FX chain while rendering
+ Video: improve preview behavior when scrubbing backwards continuously
+ Video: vastly improve stopped/scrubbing video cache behavior

Full changelog - Latest pre-releases
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

a HUGE thank you for adding all these video performance tweaking options in recent dev versions!!! Makes video editing sooooo much more fun! Hoping they will make it into a final release soon (for Christmas?)

Old 11-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
_Stevie_

Bazinga!!! This is huge Justin! Makes video seeking so much more fun.

Some advice for others to try it out:

My video machine is on macOS.
I had the best results with VLC 3, although, previously VLC 2 worked better.
Not sure if *all* these options have an impact on seek speed, but I'll list them anyway:

[x] Video processor multiprocessing

Video decoder prefetch
[x] 1 Thread
[x] prefetch last 2 video sources

Rendered frame cache size
[x] 2 seconds

[x] Aggrerssively update video during arrange edits/scrolls

The rest is set to default.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #4
vanhaze

?

Where can i find all these settings in Reaper ?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:48 PM   #5
_Stevie_

Right click on the video window and they should be there
Old 11-28-2018, 02:00 AM   #6
deeb

Sorry out of topic: I am away from computer and after seeing so much effort on video lately I reminded that it would be probably nice to be able to import SVG in reaper ... And automate the vector points, colors, fills, etc .. is this already possible in reaper? Would be really nice
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:26 AM   #7
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Sorry out of topic: I am away from computer and after seeing so much effort on video lately I reminded that it would be probably nice to be able to import SVG in reaper ... And automate the vector points, colors, fills, etc .. is this already possible in reaper? Would be really nice
Deep, this is so kind of special that you probably will never see this in Reaper. There are several 2D animation programs out there which handle vector graphics manipulation over time. But as I mentioned already: They are very special. Synfig and Opentoons are good free options for that.

But what's probably possible is to shape rectangles and animate them in size, position and opacity. Only the preset for that has still to be written.

Btw. You could use a program like Synfig to create your vectors and blend them in your videos with wwwmaze's blend presets. I already used this method to make alpha blend overs/transitions.

Edit: I have to correct me as I didn't know you probably meant simple shapes in XML format. Here is a tutorial: https://www.w3schools.com/graphics/svg_inhtml.asp ... and it seems really easy to describe standard shapes in SVG. But I have no idea how this could get implemented. Could be easy as its open source. Could be difficult as it can get very complex. (What I was thinking at the first moment.)

Last edited by Eliseat; 11-28-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:47 AM   #8
_Stevie_

@Justin

Noticed something here:

For seeking, I sometimes use option key + left drag on play cursor.
Dragging left (backwards) is now super fluent. But when dragging right (forwards), there are very often buffer underruns.

Funny, I always thought, that backwards frames are the ones that use more processing.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:29 AM   #9
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
@Justin

Noticed something here:

For seeking, I sometimes use option key + left drag on play cursor.
Dragging left (backwards) is now super fluent. But when dragging right (forwards), there are very often buffer underruns.

Funny, I always thought, that backwards frames are the ones that use more processing.
I also have the same issue. Dragging forward is not smooth. Lot of under runs...

Also it would help to improve seeking in general. Actions like "forward a bit " and " rewind a bit" should seek video seamlessly...Thank you so much for looking into this Justin
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:57 AM   #10
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Edit: I have to correct me as I didn't know you probably meant simple shapes in XML format. Here is a tutorial: https://www.w3schools.com/graphics/svg_inhtml.asp ... and it seems really easy to describe standard shapes in SVG. But I have no idea how this could get implemented. Could be easy as its open source. Could be difficult as it can get very complex. (What I was thinking at the first moment.)
Thank you for all the info. I am not into video but maybe I'll try to see some demos of those apps just for curiosity.

Vectors info in XML could be parsed by reaper and would be interesting if it could allow to use automation on them ,.. I am pretty sure it's complex (maybe like everything in reaper) but seems it could be fun and useful for using on svg assets and their properties and animate them in ex: in sync with music. (Maybe a jsfx plugin? Parsing the XML and make a slider for each propertie ) Just wanted to say before I loose the thought. I am much more interested in audio features. Anyway. It would be interesting. Thanks again

Last edited by deeb; 11-28-2018 at 05:16 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #11
Jae.Thomas

the way things are going if Reaper supported OFX and some of the plugins I use in vegas, reaper would do video editing for me... lol

thank you
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
musicbynumbers

Indeed!

Thanks devs! The video stuff is a big part of game audio and film so glad to see improvements! Will test it tomorrow!
Old 11-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #13
musicbynumbers

Tested and so far it's great! super smooth on seeking with stepping through single frames. Can get stuck a bit on dragging audition but only with certain video types (and long over an hour videos)
Old 11-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
BenK-msx

all I want for Cockosmas is my pet FR

+video: record video input direct to track.

i'd PAY MONEY

all the video tweaks are good tho of course. get things upto 2019 levels.

then finesse all those fab new musical tools you have waiting to drop on us for v6...