Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
orbiterred
Human being with feelings

Default Bypass global FX monitoring on single track?

Using global FX Monitoring to hear what my mix sounds like going through Ozone while still being able to keep my "pre-mastering" metering happening on the master bus.

I also have a reference track which bypasses the master track and sends directly to the 1/2 out so that it bypasses any processing on the master bus.

But of course with global fx monitoring my reference track now gets effected by Ozone which I don't want.

Is there any way to bypass that one reference track from the fx monitoring?

(i realize i could have all my tracks go through a folder first to see my "pre-mastering" meter levels but I'm running a faderport 8 and I'd like to keep the top of my project as clean as possible for many different reasons)
orbiterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post

Is there any way to bypass that one reference track from the fx monitoring?
Not that I know of because it truly is global and more for monitoring correction purposes so that the corrections are heard and not rendered. If your sound card has a decent mixer could you use say 3/4 hardware out for the reference, to bypass monitoring FX and mix it back in to 1/2 on the SC mixer? That's assuming that bypasses monitor FX which I can't test right now.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
mlprod

Put your ref on another muted track not going to the master. Hardware out to your soundcard on that very track. Solo the track to hear your ref.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
orbiterred

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Put your ref on another muted track not going to the master. Hardware out to your soundcard on that very track. Solo the track to hear your ref.
That's what I was doing but it is still affected by global fx monitoring.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
orbiterred

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Not that I know of because it truly is global and more for monitoring correction purposes so that the corrections are heard and not rendered. If your sound card has a decent mixer could you use say 3/4 hardware out for the reference, to bypass monitoring FX and mix it back in to 1/2 on the SC mixer? That's assuming that bypasses monitor FX which I can't test right now.
Babyface PRO using the RME TotalMix software, I'm sure this is an option as they say it can route just about anything (i've never really dove in, guess it's time).

Wouldn't have thought of this, thanks!

Just to confirm, global fx monitoring only applies to outs 1/2?

Of course for anyone else I'm still open to a reaper specific solution!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Babyface PRO using the RME TotalMix software, I'm sure this is an option as they say it can route just about anything (i've never really dove in, guess it's time).
TotalMix fanboy here and yes you can do that!

Quote:
I think but am not 100% sure and can't check right now.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

Quote:
The Monitor FX apply to whatever outputs you tell them to. They have pin connectors just like every other plugin.

You could actually use that if you wanted to avoid the messing with the routing/mixing crap your interface came with.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
routing/mixing crap your interface came with.
Actually, in TM it's a single fader, that you turn up. That's it. OK two steps, click the 1/2 out channel, which activates its submix, then turn up 3/4 - the routing is automatic in the default mode.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
ashcat_lt

Yeah, but if you can do it Reaper, then why bother? I'd rather just leave the interface as raw and direct I/O so that I can switch things around in Reaper without having to go back and forth and maybe forget some setting or...
Old 01-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah, but if you can do it Reaper, then why bother? I'd rather just leave the interface as raw and direct I/O so that I can switch things around in Reaper without having to go back and forth and maybe forget some setting or...
TM is just well better, so much so that it handles a good bit of stuff that I prefer to just leave out of reaper entirely, this would be one of them. However, nothing wrong with dorking with pins though so YMMV, horses and courses. It's open pretty much 24/7 here so it's right there all the time and far too useful to ignore.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
ashcat_lt

Since my one interface is a Steinberg VSL2020 and the other is a Tascam US1641, my mileage varies quite a bit.

Which is to say I'm really glad I don't have to worry about that proprietary middleware.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Since my one interface is a Steinberg VSL2020 and the other is a Tascam US1641, my mileage varies quite a bit.

Which is to say I'm really glad I don't have to worry about that proprietary middleware.
Yea, I get it and TM is about the only SC mixer I would feel this way about - it really is that useful - and it has pins too if you like them.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
ashcat_lt

But the actual point of my post was to point out that you can use the pins in MonitorFX to put different plugs on different HW outputs. The question was "do they apply only to 1/2", and the answer is no. A stereo plugin just dropped in MonitorFX probably will only process 1/2, but a 4 channel plugin might hit them all. A lot of that Melda stuff is 8 channel by default, though I haven't messed with them much.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
But the actual point of my post was to point out that you can use the pins in MonitorFX to put different plugs on different HW outputs. The question was "do they apply only to 1/2", and the answer is no. A stereo plugin just dropped in MonitorFX probably will only process 1/2, but a 4 channel plugin might hit them all. A lot of that Melda stuff is 8 channel by default, though I haven't messed with them much.
Yea, completely outside the main subject, I've seen more than one plugin fuck up additional hardware outputs due to poor channel handling (or something) on the hardware FX chain. As in, you go to add the hardware output on some random track, and the hardware routed signal never makes it out of reaper with zero clues as to why it didn't route. I lost a lot of time chasing that POS problem down months back, thought my interface was busted.

What makes that suck even more is when it happened the only plugins I had on MonFX were meters which is all I ever use there.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
orbiterred

@ashcat so they (the monitor effects) can apply to whatever outs I tell them, but that still won't let me bypass a single track from them right?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #16
ashcat_lt

Make a hardware send on the reference track to 3/4. Check the pins for Ozone and make sure that it's only in/out on 1/2. Insert any other plugin afterward. There are JS channel mixers dedicated to this purpose, but you can just put in ReaEQ or JS Volume or whatever. Set it up so that it takes input from 1/2 AND 3/4 and output to at least 1/2.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #17
orbiterred

Quote:
Make a hardware send on the reference track to 3/4. Check the pins for Ozone and make sure that it's only in/out on 1/2. Insert any other plugin afterward. There are JS channel mixers dedicated to this purpose, but you can just put in ReaEQ or JS Volume or whatever. Set it up so that it takes input from 1/2 AND 3/4 and output to at least 1/2.
think I follow, will test it out!

on another note... i don't think it's possible, but pre-fx metering on the master? that would make everything easier.