Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
Zargon the Destroyer
Human being with feelings

Default Best way to do this please (copy tracks back and forth).

I would be most grateful if anybody could offer an opinion on the best way (easiest/quickest) way to do this:

If I record 4 channels of drums on my laptop (because I record drums in a room away from my little studio), how to I copy those INCLUDING TAKES for editing/mixing into the original project? Assuming that the drums are recorded a way into the projects developement (they almost always are).

Is this doable? I don't want to edit the drums on the laptop, I want to import the recordings of the drums with their take status etc into the original project.

Can I? If so, how?

Thankeee!

Adam
Zargon the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
andyp24

Are you recording the drums on your laptop in Reaper?

If you are, then you can simply drag the rpp of the drum recording into the timeline of the master project and it will open up directly with everything as it was in the drum session, I think.....
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
planetnine

That might not do what you want, Adam. Copy the items, not the tracks.

Open up your production project.
Open a new project tab (Ctrl-Alt-N) and open your drum project in that tab.
Select all your drum items by marquee right-dragging round them.
Go back into your production project and make enough blank tracks in the required place.
Select the first blank track (for paste reference) and make sure the cursor is at origin or the required point in the timeline.
Paste the tracks. They should appear, with takes and any envelopes or fades, in your blank tracks at the right place.

Hope this helps...

>

Last edited by planetnine; 01-17-2018 at 01:22 PM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Swamp Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
Are you recording the drums on your laptop in Reaper?

If you are, then you can simply drag the rpp of the drum recording into the timeline of the master project and it will open up directly with everything as it was in the drum session, I think.....
This doesn't work for me. It gives me three choices:

1. add project as media item (which opens it in a new tab, renders it out, and adds it as one track in original project
2. close current project and open new one, or
3. open in new tab
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
andyp24

Ok sorry, it's not something I use (obviously) but I thought you could open an rpp in a project without it creating a subproject...
Try the solution offered by the previous poster then...
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
That might not do what you want, Adam. Copy the items, not the tracks.

Open up your production project.
Open a new project tab (Ctrl-Alt-N) and open your drum project in that tab.
Select all your drum items by marquee right-dragging round them.
Go back into your production project and make enough blank tracks in the required place.
Select the first blank track (for paste reference) and make sure the cursor is at origin or the required point in the timeline.
Paste the tracks. They should appear, with takes and any envelopes or fades, in your blank tracks at the right place.

Hope this helps...
>
Hey planet, why don't you just drive over to Zargon's place to help him as he seems to be located just around the corner

My take: If both projects have the same or no pre-roll (project settings) and recording format is one that is capable of storing item location (like Wave, WavPack) then you might just throw in all items into the main project (on new, empty tracks), select them all and then trigger the action "Item: Move to source preferred position (used by BWF)". After that, you may re-arrange the track order to be able implode separate items into takes again if desired/necessary.

This procedure does not take into account anything else than the items (no automation, no track fx, etc. are take over from the other project). If this is necessary, you might save all tracks to be copied as track templates (or even more convenient as one single track template) including items and automation and then load this track template in the main project. You may then have to point Reaper to the location of the new audio items (if they had not already been copied into the destination project media folder).
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
planetnine

Different planets, different cultures...

I’ve always thought select - copy - paste seemed the easiest, esp as it takes all the item pos and prop with it. If they’re from the same template, importing and aligning to BWF should work, it’s just that he wanted the take structure transferred, too...

>
Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

You can load whole projects as track templates if you change the file type dropdown to display RPPs or all files.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:35 AM   #9
Zargon the Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Different planets, different cultures...

I’ve always thought select - copy - paste seemed the easiest, esp as it takes all the item pos and prop with it. If they’re from the same template, importing and aligning to BWF should work, it’s just that he wanted the take structure transferred, too...

>
This sounds perfect, yes!

I tried it and it's exactly the result I want. I have always use a complete mirror installation (all VSTs etc) on both PC and laptop, so always just transferred the entire project, but most recent HDD death on laptop made me question the point of having anything extra installed on the laptop since I never use it for mixing.

New work flow will be export stereo mix from PC, import on new project, add drum tracks then send that back to PC for editing and mixing.

Thanks again!

Yay Lincoln! Go Imps! (if that's what they say? I hate football).
Zargon the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #10
planetnine

Heh, I’m no football fan either...

>