Old 12-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
zappadave
Human being with feelings

Default v5.65rc3 - December 5 2017

v5.65rc3 - December 5 2017
+ MIDI editor: add actions to move cursor to start/end of measure
+ Theme loading: fix toolbar button background preview for zipped themes [p=1799518]
+ Theme loading: increase maximum zipped file count from 2048 to 8192 [p=1919416]
+ Windows: fix VST and VLC path autodetection with non-latin characters
+ Windows: fix more issues with non-latin characters in username
# Tempo envelope: fix envelope point draw behavior when drawing over an existing time signature change [p=1921104]
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Shibboleth

Default Kirilica SWS not found bug

Kirilica SWS not found
Attached Images
File Type: png Bug.png (8.4 KB, 301 views)
Shibboleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
jrengmusic

Quote:
+ Theme loading: fix toolbar button background preview for zipped themes [p=1799518]
+ Theme loading: increase maximum zipped file count from 2048 to 8192 [p=1919416]
Thank you!

Now theme zipped from OSX Finder context menu load properly.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibboleth View Post
Kirilica SWS not found
the reapack plugin is in the wrong folder and the message tells you exactly where it is supposed to be
Old 12-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
the reapack plugin is in the wrong folder and the message tells you exactly where it is supposed to be
and it looks like ReaPack needs to use win32_utf8.h
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappadave View Post
# Tempo envelope: fix envelope point draw behavior when drawing over an existing time signature change [p=1921104]
Devs, excuse me, but all I can say regarding the current state of freehand drawing in the tempo envelope is that if point density when drawing doesn´t adapt to the grid size, then this function is not really usable. To have point drawing tied exclusively to the denominator of the time signature makes absolutely no sense at all in terms of a flexible tool to achieve real nuances in tempo editing. I hope you understand that the lack of support to my sayings from other users, at this moment at least (with the exception of ED, of course), doesn´t invalidate my claims...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
if point density when drawing doesn´t adapt to the grid size, then this function is not really usable
Processing can get inefficient with multiple tempo changes per beat. Tempo envelope drawing was not supported at all prior to this prerelease for that reason. If we're going to support drawing tempo envelope points, there needs to be a limit on how dense the point drawing is.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
Soli Deo Gloria

Well, I see your point Schwa, but with Breeder's actions (as mentioned in pre16 thread) I have been managing to draw pretty complex/dense tempo maps in pseudo-orchestral works (many tracks, heavy instruments and processing) up until pre16 broke the functionality. I don't remember any noticeable issue (well, I have an I7 but nevertheless, I've been doing some pretty extreme things without any problem...).

If at least the functionality of these actions could be brought back (as it was up to pre15) :

-SWS/BR : Freehand draw envelope while snapping points to left side grid line (perform until shortcut is released)
-SWS/BR : Set closest envelope point´s value to mouse cursor (perform until shortcut is released)

then, there would be no strong reason to complain, since what I talk about is easily achievable with them (both are equally important in this regard). Now, they don´t work anymore and this kind of drawing is no replacement at all for them. In any case, with those SWS actions the responsibility for any processing bottleneck could be on the user side, maybe. I mean, if you want to disable the native drawing again but fix the functionality of those actions is also valid, I think. You´re not allowing something potentially unconvenient for some use cases, but anyway the possibility would remain there, unofficially.

Other possibility, I think, could be to create some option in the preferences window, with an adequate warning about this issue, and allowing to set a limit to the point density in any case, choosing from any possible grid size offered by Reaper (I mean, any size really, since you´re already warned about it). It would be like routing feedback, for which we have an option to allow it with the corresponding warning sign.

Regarding all of this, just a doubt : how do other programs such as Cubase or Live deal with this? I know first hand that you can draw freely in their tempo maps without any apparent problem. Needless to say, I don´t consider them more efficient than Reaper in the processing department, so it leaves me perplexed...

Tempo envelope is one of the few sections of Reaper that doesn´t seem "Reaperish" at all IMO, due to its native limitations (apart from this topic, the lack of a proper bypass for it (leaving only the initial tempo) is also really curious, but that´s of course a topic for another thread and not as urgent as this...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 12-05-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:39 AM   #9
cfillion

To work around GetResourcePath not giving UTF-8 on Windows before I was converting it from the system default ANSI code page (CP_ACP). I'll release ReaPack 1.2.1 soon to not do this anymore when launched from REAPER 5.65+.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:02 AM   #10
EvilDragon

Quote:
These actions don't go outside the range of MIDI item. Why not? For people using one MIDI editor with all MIDI items loaded this would certainly be helpful, because MIDI items might not be placed directly one after another...

Same thing seems to be the case with other "Move edit cursor" actions in MIDI editor context. I'd suggest modifying this behavior so that it's more usable
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:02 AM   #11
Shibboleth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibboleth View Post
Kirilica SWS not found
Windows 8 64, exe: reaper565rc3_x64-install

I tried to change the location of the files but nothing helped
Shibboleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:18 AM   #12
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Well, I see your point Schwa, but with Breeder's actions (as mentioned in pre16 thread) I have been managing to draw pretty complex/dense tempo maps in pseudo-orchestral works (many tracks, heavy instruments and processing) up until pre16 broke the functionality. I don't remember any noticeable issue (well, I have an I7 but nevertheless, I've been doing some pretty extreme things without any problem...).

If at least the functionality of these actions could be brought back (as it was up to pre15) :

-SWS/BR : Freehand draw envelope while snapping points to left side grid line (perform until shortcut is released)
-SWS/BR : Set closest envelope point´s value to mouse cursor (perform until shortcut is released)
I expect (or hope) that these will work again if the API bug that was introduced in pre16 gets fixed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
In pre16, GetTempoTimeSigMarker returns timesig_denom = -1 and timesig_num = -1 for a tempo change, instead of 0 and 0.

(If -1 and -1 is then used in a subsequent SetTempoTimeSigMarker, a timesig marker is created, leading to the bugs seen in Breeder's freehand drawing tool.)
(My own tempo scripts are also going haywire.)
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:27 AM   #13
EvilDragon

I'm not sure if that's a bug, but rather an extension to support the timesig-only markers that were implemented...

Perhaps a better solution would be to revert Get/SetTempoTimeSigMarker API calls to how they were before, and introduce new Get/SetTempoTimeSigMarkerEx to deal with the new situation?

Honestly lots of people are using SWS for tempo mapping in Reaper... 5.65 is going to break that for them, and native solution, while welcome, isn't as developed quite yet. The above suggestion should happen before 5.65 sees the official light of day...
Old 12-06-2017, 04:49 AM   #14
juliansader

Freehand draw envelope in the tempo lane plays Pac-Man with my envelope:

EDIT: This is the new mouse modifier, not Breeder's action.

Last edited by juliansader; 12-06-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:08 AM   #15
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks for your thoughts and observations, guys! Your remarks are very helpful to clarify the situation...

@juliansader : yes, that's what happens exactly when I use Breeder's actions from pre16 onwards...
Old 12-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
To work around GetResourcePath not giving UTF-8 on Windows before I was converting it from the system default ANSI code page (CP_ACP). I'll release ReaPack 1.2.1 soon to not do this anymore when launched from REAPER 5.65+.
Ah gotcha, sorry about this and thanks!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #17
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
These actions don't go outside the range of MIDI item. Why not? For people using one MIDI editor with all MIDI items loaded this would certainly be helpful, because MIDI items might not be placed directly one after another...

Same thing seems to be the case with other "Move edit cursor" actions in MIDI editor context. I'd suggest modifying this behavior so that it's more usable
Agreed. These actions should definitely not be limited to the range of the MIDI item.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #18
heda

probably too late, but it would be nice if the Categories, and Developers in FX browser could be "collapsed" with a little [-] button.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #19
EvilDragon

They can already be collapsed by double-clicking on them. Just like you could on other main folders in FX browser!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #20
heda

oops ahaha ok thank you
Right click everything and double click everything!!!
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #21
Edgemeal

5.65 Pre1 - 5.65 RC3 (Unofficial Summary)
+ Audio Units: notify plug-ins of offline rendering
+ Automation items: copy mute state when duplicating regions [p=1909799]
+ Automation: always remove points from underlying envelope when creating automation items
+ Automation: monitor existing automation items when recording into an automation item
+ DX: fix memory leak when scanning plug-ins
+ Envelopes: option to trim content behind automation items when editing also trims when writing automation
+ Envelopes: record into selected automation items only
+ Envelopes: trim overlapping automation items when actions to write current value to envelope and create a new automation item [p=1904138]
+ File import: support dragging multiple files from Windows applications that place both file names and file URLs on the clipboard
+ FLAC: update to FLAC 1.3.2
+ FX: display and order FX quick-add menu according to Add FX dialog preferences
+ FX: improve TCP/MCP quick-add menu organization [p=1902034]
+ FX: in quick-add FX menu, list FX currently on the track before listing plugins available to insert
+ FX: speed up quick-add FX menu
+ FX: support developer and VST3 category listings in Add Fx dialog
+ Groups: support up to 64 track groups per project
+ JSFX/ReaScript/Video Processors: allow NUL characters in literal strings
+ JSFX: cache FX lists, clear cache on refresh in FX browser
+ macOS: autodetect and use customized system open file descriptor limit [p=1899324]
+ macOS: improve disk image window initial size on 10.13
+ Mouse modifiers: add context for tempo/time signature markers
+ Mouse modifiers: add contexts for project region and marker/region edge
+ mp3: use .reapindex for files 12MB or larger (previously was 64MB)
+ OSC: improved configuration UI [p=1912244]
+ OSC: support bidirectional communication by setting send and/or receive port to 0
+ Preferences: add option to display/hide arrange view gridlines for project regions/markers and/or time signature changes
+ Project bay: fix drag and drop of filenames with UTF-8
+ ReaComp: support TrackFX_GetNamedConfigParm(GainReduction_dB)
+ Regions: improve edits to overlapping regions
+ Regions: improve handling of tempo envelope when moving or copying regions
+ Regions: improve tempo envelope behavior when moving and copying regions
+ Regions: support dual edge editing
+ Render: clear "all tracks" in region render matrix when removing track via API [t=199671]
+ Ripple: fix "ripple-all affects tempo envlope" option, independent of "envelope points move with media items" option [t=197771]
+ Ruler: add actions to display regions, markers, tempo/time signature markers in lanes (or constrain to a single lane)
+ Ruler: add actions to set height to default/minimum/maximum
+ Ruler: add option to display tempo and time signature changes in separate lanes
+ Ruler: add option to hide tempo/time signature markers
+ Ruler: control+alt+drag on tempo markers adjusts tempo on both sides of marker
+ Ruler: control+shift+drag on tempo markers adjusts tempo on both sides of marker
+ Ruler: display linear tempo transitions in the ruler
+ Ruler: display tempo/time signature changes more like a ruler, less like markers
+ Stretch markers: avoid hangs with invalid stretch marker data
+ Stretch markers: improve loop indicator drawing
+ Tempo envelope: allow points to set time signature and/or metronome pattern without changing tempo
+ Tempo envelope: enable freehand draw (always snaps drawn points to beat, though)
+ Tempo envelope: fix actions to move points up/down, envelope control panel scroll [p=1916815]
+ Tempo envelope: fix undesired behavior when duplicate tempo envelope points exist [t=189365]
+ Tempo envelope: improve behavior when tempo envelope contains markers with "allow partial measure before this marker" enabled [p=1912250]
+ Tempo envelopes: fix actions to move points left/right [p=1916815]
+ Tempo markers: insert first marker no longer defaults to linear transition mode
+ Timeline: allow expanding the timeline to display project regions and markers in multiple lanes
+ Video: restore floating size for video processor FX windows
+ VST: ignore various notifications immediately after loading VST2 state [t=199346]
+ VST: support TrackFX_GetNamedConfigParm() with GainReduction_dB to retrieve the current GR from plug-ins that support the Presonus GR API
+ Windows: fix configuration import with non-latin characters [p=1912540]
+ Windows: fix full UTF-8 support in preset names
+ Windows: fix more issues with non-latin characters in username
+ Windows: fix various issues with non-latin characters in installation path
+ Windows: fix VST and VLC path autodetection with non-latin characters

Full changelog - Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #22
ivansc

Quote:

Agreed. Also a large part of why people like Tod and I tend towards "one big track length MIDI item" when working in MIDI. Would be nice to see this as some sort of option sometime in the near future. You might even persuade us to start using MIDI items properly....
Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 AM   #23
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Agreed. Also a large part of why people like Tod and I tend towards "one big track length MIDI item" when working in MIDI. Would be nice to see this as some sort of option sometime in the near future. You might even persuade us to start using MIDI items properly....
I think (or at least I hope) v.6.xx will be more centered around MIDI. The MIDI side of Reaper needs some improvements.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:11 AM   #24
drichard

+1. That's how I would prefer to work as well. (Please forgive me for jumping into the Release Candidate discussion.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #25
juliansader

Quote:
v5.65rc3 - December 5 2017
There is a discrepancy between the MIDI editor's new "Move edit cursor to start of measure" action, and the Main section's equivalent "Move edit cursor to start of current measure" (besides the slightly different name):

If the cursor is exactly on the grid at the bar line, the MIDI editor action maintains the cursor position, whereas the Main action moves the cursor back one measure.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #26
EvilDragon

Quote:
There is a discrepancy between the MIDI editor's new "Move edit cursor to start of measure" action, and the Main section's equivalent "Move edit cursor to start of current measure" (besides the slightly different name):

If the cursor is exactly on the grid at the bar line, the MIDI editor action maintains the cursor position, whereas the Main action moves the cursor back one measure.
Confirmed.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #27
schwa
Administrator

Quote:

The MIDI editor behavior seemed more useful for scripting. I don't have strong feelings about it though.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #28
EvilDragon

They should be consistent both in main and in MIDI editor, honestly (down to the name of the action, as well!)... But moreover, the MIDI editor action should definitely NOT be constrained by MIDI item length... Makes the action completely useless when using one MIDI editor per project (which is what most of us "serious composers" will likely use).
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #29
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The MIDI editor behavior seemed more useful for scripting. I don't have strong feelings about it though.
The new MIDI editor behavior is also more consistent with the "Move edit cursor to start of next measure" action.

If the edit cursor is at the bar line, the Main section's "Move edit cursor to start of current measure" moves the cursor back (apparently interpreting the bar line as part of the preceding measure), while "Move edit cursor to start of next measure" moves the cursor one measure to the right (apparently interpreting the bar line as part of the subsequent measure).
Old 12-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #30
TonE

Yes, bar line should count as 0, meaning always current measure, no matter if in arrange or midi editor/notation. Actually do not know how the exact behaviour is now, just wanted to make noise here, if it is not as above.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #31
TonE

Quote:
Makes the action completely useless when using one MIDI editor per project (which is what most of us "serious composers" will likely use).
Making no assumptions on composers seriousity is best, otherwise they should just remove that feature again. Keep features, plus no artificial limitations, but this is how Reaper behaves anyway, millions of features, and no plan, you have to make your own plan.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote