Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Default hide/ignore x86 plugins? find custom directory for AU?

I have reaper set to scan one directory for my AU plugins. It is bringing up a bunch of X86 plugins and it is not bringing up any that I put in the directory.

So... is it strictly VST only that it will scan? I can't specify an AU directory?
Also, why are x86 AU plugins showing from my default directory even though I have not specified to look there in my vst paths? I have one path specified. It won't find anything in that path, and it is loading AU plugs that I din't want it to.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:23 AM   #2
Futur8me

It really is simple...... Delete them.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
It really is simple...... Delete them.

It's not really simple because I have no idea where it's finding x86 plugins. And I need it to find the plugins that it is not finding that I put in the directory I specified. So no. It's not simple at all.

Last edited by pixeltarian; 10-31-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
It's not really simple because I have no idea where it's finding x86 plugins.
If it finds them, load them on a track then open the Project Bay, click the FX tab which will give you the path to the VST.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If it finds them, load them on a track then open the Project Bay, click the FX tab which will give you the path to the VST.
all it says in the path column is the name of the plugin.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
pixeltarian

also, can't I turn off x86 plugins completely? I selected "only native (disable bridging)" but they still show up and load with the bridge.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
all it says in the path column is the name of the plugin.
Gotta love ole Mr. Jobs, always hiding details from users so they think everything is special...

Excuse the apple jab, couldn't resist.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
pixeltarian

reaper forums... snarky as always.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:38 AM   #9
Futur8me

Quote:
And I need it to find the plugins that it is not finding that I put in the directory I specified. So no. It's not simple at all.

On a Mac they are automatically put into the AU and VST folders.., double click on your hard drive icon then go into library folder then go into the audio folder then go into the plugins folder then go into the AU and VST folders and delete the ones you do not want.., its simple.., also right click on the AU components and VST files and choose 'get info' to find out which ones are 32bit.., usually the older 32bit files are smaller in size.., the newer 64bit files are slightly larger.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
pixeltarian

Quote:
On a Mac they are automatically put into the AU and VST folders.., double click on your hard drive icon then go into library folder then go into the audio folder then go into the plugins folder then go into the AU and VST folders and delete the ones you do not want.., its simple.., also right click on the AU components and VST files and choose 'get info' to find out which ones are 32bit.., usually the older 32bit files are smaller in size.., the newer 64bit files are slightly larger.

Yes. I am an experienced mac user and reaper user. I have not included my default plugin directory for reaper to scan. I have deleted all all locations in settings>Plugins>VST except the custom one that I have only 64bit AU plugins.

So basically what I'm going to go ahead and assume is that reaper has no directory customization options for AU. It can only clear VST plugin paths and AU paths are automatically scanned no matter what. I think? Although that still makes no sense because I have renamed my default VST and AU (components) directories so reaper cannot find them. It still finds a bunch of x86 audio unit plugins. It makes no sense unless there is some secret plugin folder reaper scans and mac has that I am unaware of.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:48 AM   #11
Futur8me

Quote:
Yes. I am an experienced mac user and reaper user. I have not included my default plugin directory for reaper to scan. I have deleted all all locations in settings>Plugins>VST except the custom one that I have only 64bit AU plugins.

So basically what I'm going to go ahead and assume is that reaper has no directory customization options for AU. It can only clear VST plugin paths and AU paths are automatically scanned no matter what. I think? Although that still makes no sense because I have renamed my default VST and AU (components) directories so reaper cannot find them. It still finds a bunch of x86 audio unit plugins. It makes no sense unless there is some secret plugin folder reaper scans and mac has that I am unaware of.
well I do not feel your 'experienced' if you can not find these x86 plugins.., I do find this all a bit weird.., just completely erase and format you harddrive and reinstall everything and just start again.. its simple.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:44 AM   #12
vanhaze

Quote:
I have reaper set to scan one directory for my AU plugins. It is bringing up a bunch of X86 plugins and it is not bringing up any that I put in the directory.

So... is it strictly VST only that it will scan? I can't specify an AU directory?
Also, why are x86 AU plugins showing from my default directory even though I have not specified to look there in my vst paths? I have one path specified. It won't find anything in that path, and it is loading AU plugs that I din't want it to.
I assume you only want to see 64bit version plugins in Reaper and no x86 versions.

Maybe stupid question but you do have Reaper - 64bit version installed and not the 32bit version ?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
pixeltarian

Quote:
well I do not feel your 'experienced' if you can not find these x86 plugins.., I do find this all a bit weird.., just completely erase and format you harddrive and reinstall everything and just start again.. its simple.

Please stop responding to this thread. I can't handle hearing your "it's simple." catch phrase one more time. I have been using reaper since version 2 and mac for 9 years. I know where the plugin directories are. telling me to reformat is not simple. All your advice is simple advice that I am not in need of because, if it was simple, I would not be here asking. Take a hike.

Last edited by pixeltarian; 10-31-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
pixeltarian

more details:
- I am running reaperX64
Reaper being 32 bit would make some sense for this problem but it's labelled REAPER64 and it says /64 in the title bar when reaper is open.

- I have renamed my plugin directories so reaper cannot find them (in theory).
- I have pointed reaper's plugin path to a folder I put a few plugins in.
- reaper is not finding any of the plugins I put in the specified directory
- reaper is still finding x86 plugins
- I am not going to reformat my computer for this problem.

Here's what I think MIGHT be happening:
Reaper can only configure VST plugin directories and does not give me access to AU settings and is scanning some random AU location that is not in library/audio/plugins... which doesn't really make sense, but it's at least some kind of place to start thinking/looking.

Last edited by pixeltarian; 10-31-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
blommberg

Hi!
if a certain plugin is installed as x86 and also as 64 in the same VST-folder REAPER (64) sometimes first loads the x86 and then forgets about the 64 version of this plugin.
Solution:
Inside your VST folder make 3 sub folders (see attachment), then (sorry!) reinstall your plugins:
a) folder "32scan": only 32 bit plugins, that have a 64 bit brother
b) folder "64scan": only the 64 bit plugins (all of them)
c) folder "32and64scan": all 32 bit plugins that do exist only as 32 bit, the ones who need bridging.
Whith REAPER 64 than empty the VST-search and newly scan (preferences > VST > scan) only b) and C). Then never again you are anoyed by a x86 plugin that has a 64 big brother which you really wanted to load.

Last edited by blommberg; 02-13-2021 at 01:25 PM.
blommberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:46 PM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blommberg View Post
Hi!
if a certain plugin is installed as x86 and also as 64 in the same VST-folder REAPER (64) sometimes first loads the x86 and then forgets about the 64 version of this plugin.
FYI, the difference is Reaper favors the last one loaded.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #17
humbo

Mac is kinda weird that way. For instance, one should not create a folder within a "mission critical" folder e.g.. HD>Library>Audio>Components. Applications such as reaper will not read it. It pretty much has to be created by the OS. Therefore, the only solution would be to manually go into the components folder and delete the X86 plugins (unless you really require them). I had a similar situation with one AU plugin popping up that was unusable in a project, being X86. I knew I had the 64bit ver. but it kept installing the X86 ver.. I deleted the offending plugin, restarted Reaper, deleted the now unavailable plugin, reinstalled the plugin and voila, the 64bit ver.
humbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #18
vanhaze

What i do miss in this thread is the fact that for OSX, many osx plugins installs are just one file, (be it AU or VST) , containing BOTH the 32bit and 64bit versions.

For instance:

You install a plugin (32bit and 64bit compatible), which comes in AU and VST (and maybe VST3 also)
The installment does place just these plugin files on your system.

- one VST version, as 1 file , but both containing 32bit and 64bit versions.
Usually in this path: HD> Library > Audio > Plug-ins > VST

- one AU version as 1 file, but both containing 32bit and 64bit versions.
Usually in this path: HD> Library > Audio > Plug-ins > Components

Now, if you are using Reaper 64bit version and it will see only the 32bit plugin versions instead of the 64bit versions, thats really odd.
I can't recall ever experiencing that, being a Reaper 64bit user for years.

I assume Cockos support can / have to chime in for this issue:
support@cockos.com.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:57 AM   #19
Futur8me

Quote:
Please stop responding to this thread. I can't handle hearing your "it's simple." catch phrase one more time. I have been using reaper since version 2 and mac for 9 years. I know where the plugin directories are. telling me to reformat is not simple. All your advice is simple advice that I am not in need of because, if it was simple, I would not be here asking. Take a hike.

But it really honestly is just SIMPLE.. no jokes, you just make this all difficult for yourself.. very stuck in your ways.. haha.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:19 AM   #20
emarsk

Quote:
- I have renamed my plugin directories so reaper cannot find them (in theory).
- reaper is still finding x86 plugins
Sorry, now It's my turn for the stupid question: did you try with "Clear cache/re-scan" instead of just "Re-scan", right?

Quote:
- I have pointed reaper's plugin path to a folder I put a few plugins in.
- reaper is not finding any of the plugins I put in the specified directory
Maybe there's a plugin that crashes the scan procedure before it gets to that folder?

I don't have a Mac at hands today so I'm just guessing.
emarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #21
pixeltarian

Quote:
But it really honestly is just SIMPLE.. no jokes, you just make this all difficult for yourself.. very stuck in your ways.. haha.

you're not reading what I wrote. You're listening to yourself talk. I'm not going to reinstall osx for this. Your other simple solutions do not apply.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:13 AM   #22
vanhaze

I am totally with you.
The word "simple" is highly subjective.
Did you already mail Justin/schwa about your problem ?
(support@cockos..com)
I truly believe they can help you with your problem.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 AM   #23
pixeltarian

It was not simple at all. A clean install of my OS did not fix it.

After much research it appears that the security settings of OSX High Sierra conflict with SOME audio units plugins but will allow the x86 versions to load, It also explains why far less plugins would load after a clean install. It is Apple's new APFS file system. Currently the only way to fix is to roll back your OS to Sierra or use this patch: http://support.two-notes.com/knowled...hp?article=318
Old 11-08-2017, 03:03 AM   #24
Futur8me

Quote:

After much research it appears that the security settings of OSX High Sierra conflict with SOME audio units plugins but will allow the x86 versions to load, It also explains why far less plugins would load after a clean install. It is Apple's new APFS file system. Currently the only way to fix is to roll back your OS to Sierra or use this patch: http://support.two-notes.com/knowled...hp?article=318

Lol.., I have no problems here with my AU plugins being only x86.. everything is 64bit and works perfect here.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:59 AM   #25
vitalker

Quote:
Open your vstplugins64.ini file and do the next things:
1. Find lines with (x86) Example: Boogex.dll=8076FA38637CD101,895641140,Boogex (x86) (Voxengo)
2. Delete all the characters after the first comma with the comma, so it will look like this: Boogex.dll=8076FA38637CD101
3. Save the file.
4. Enjoy.

Use regular expressions to automate the process.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #26
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Open your vstplugins64.ini file and do the next things:
1. Find lines with (x86) Example: Boogex.dll=8076FA38637CD101,895641140,Boogex (x86) (Voxengo)
2. Delete all the characters after the first comma with the comma, so it will look like this: Boogex.dll=8076FA38637CD101
3. Save the file.
4. Enjoy.

Use regular expressions to automate the process.

This is good information, but I have fixed the problem with the sandbox patch.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #27
pixeltarian

Quote:
Lol.., I have no problems here with my AU plugins being only x86.. everything is 64bit and works perfect here.

I’m trying to determine the point where you started trolling. The very first response? I think it was the from the first response.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #28
vanhaze

Quote:
This is good information, but I have fixed the problem with the sandbox patch.
Here's what i did:

Restart your Mac.
Hold down Command-R and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. ...
From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
At the prompt type exactly the following and then press Return: csrutil disable
Close Terminal.
Restart your mac.

This disables Apple SIP (System Integrity Protection).
All my 64bit AU's are now seen (scanned and being visible) in all my 64bit DAW's i use, among Reaper 64bit.

But i am aware this is a "nasty workaround".
Apple SIP has a reason ofcourse and it is not supposed to be disabled.
Hope to see a fast "elegant" fix.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:10 AM   #29
Futur8me

No jokes but i 'simply' have no problems here at all with my AU plugins and setup, everything is 64bit.. haha.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #30
fundorin
Banned

It's possible to hide plugins from the list with "#" symbol, placed in from of the plugin name (in FX browser rename). In Windows version, at least.
Your other option could be installing portable Reaper, so it won't mess with your current settings, and test all plugin directories there.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #31
pixeltarian

Quote:
No jokes but i 'simply' have no problems here at all with my AU plugins and setup, everything is 64bit.. haha.

So you came to say you don’t have this problem? Ok. Thanks for sharing, I’m sure there are hundreds of threads on the reaper forums where you don’t have the problem described - you’d better get crackin on responding to all of them to say you don’t have the problem described. It’s gonna take a while but I know you can do it. I believe in you.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #32
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Here's what i did:

Restart your Mac.
Hold down Command-R and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. ...
From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
At the prompt type exactly the following and then press Return: csrutil disable
Close Terminal.
Restart your mac.

This disables Apple SIP (System Integrity Protection).
All my 64bit AU's are now seen (scanned and being visible) in all my 64bit DAW's i use, among Reaper 64bit.

But i am aware this is a "nasty workaround".
Apple SIP has a reason ofcourse and it is not supposed to be disabled.
Hope to see a fast "elegant" fix.

The fix I linked seems a bit more elegant. I think it just gives permission to the plugins.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 AM   #33
Futur8me

Quote:
So you came to say you don’t have this problem? Ok. Thanks for sharing, I’m sure there are hundreds of threads on the reaper forums where you don’t have the problem described - you’d better get crackin on responding to all of them to say you don’t have the problem described. It’s gonna take a while but I know you can do it. I believe in you.

You are such a snowflake.. your precious ego hurts yes.. haha.. get over yourself.. lol.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:24 AM   #34
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Please stop bickering or I'm forced to close the thread.

You may find some of the suggestions in this thread

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=137219

helpful. Basically, if you removed component files, you also need to delete 'reaper-auplugins-bc.ini', reboot and so on.

The default locations for AU components are kind of "hardwired" into the OS and do not differentiate between 32 and 64 bit, that's why doing what you want to do is not trivial.

Last edited by Ollie; 11-10-2017 at 04:37 AM.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote