Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #81
pac-man
Human being with feelings

Adam: Om, that looks nice!

But... possible to make the empty spaces "transparent"?
pac-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #82
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
Adam: Om, that looks nice!

But... possible to make the empty spaces "transparent"?
Yup just replace the "PT Paste" action in the first macro with the regular Reaper Paste function.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #83
pac-man

Hmm, I really don't know how to create a macro in the first place. Do I do this from the action list?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #84
gofer
-blänk-

Yes, from the action list. Hit "New" and follow your nose, (or read chapter 13.8 of the f user guide ).

Also recommended for everybody diving into custom actions: read the SWS extension manual available at http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/manual.php

Lots of hot tips in there, even for people not using SWS extensions, though everybody should.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #85
schwa
Administrator

"Duplicate selected items" and "Duplicate selected area of selected items" coming soon.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #86
pac-man

Schwa: oh man, then i'll just do the reading
Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #87
pac-man

BTW, please implement Area Selection (track independant and so on), so that the "duplicate" will follow that... Duplicate won't be really useful unless you can make the copy start at the relative time in the next measure/bar/specified
Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #88
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
"Duplicate selected items" and "Duplicate selected area of selected items" coming soon.
schwa, can we please have it set up so that if "Trim behind" is enabled, the empty space in the selected area will delete anything it tries to paste over top of? I think that is something we missed during the beta phase for that implementation in general... Copy and paste should include the empty space and the empty space should delete whatever it runs into if "Trim behind" is enabled.

http://screencast.com/t/YTU3ZDZkYmEt
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #89
hopi

got curious about this request so made a custom action..

but you'll have to decide if this is what you want...

this does not work while the project is playing... and is not for the midi editor nor for midi items.... just for a piece of audio wav file:

I set the keybinding to Ctrl-Shift D

Custom action name: Duplicate Item paste next

Item: Select item under mouse cursor
Item: Glue selected items
Edit: Copy items
Item navigation: Move cursor right to nearest item edge
Item: Paste items/tracks
View: Move cursor right

you may want to modify this and season to taste....

If I understand the req, coming from cubase thinking, I assume you were after the 'fill time selection' that duplicates a piece of audio across the length of a time selection...?

one thing in reaper to keep in mind about loops.... say you slice out a little section and you want that to be your loop to copy and paste... OK... if you take it as it is, then later you drag it larger, it will still have all the original wav's data with it... BUT if you first just select your sliced item, and glue it [sounds funny, but I mean just glue it to itself] then it becomes it's own unique item and will loop only itself...

so this action does that...
Old 06-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #90
pac-man

Duplicating one item is really not worth the hassle, I'd say it's all about duplicating a selected area.

Lets say you have 45 items over a period of 2 bars. The first item starts 5 samples past the second beat, and the last one ends 3 samples before the last measure ends. ctrl+drag or duplicate is really not useful here because you will have to zoom in before you can even drop it, just to make sure it lands in the same place within the bar.

This is a ESSENTIAL workflow thing if you are making music in an editorial way.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #91
hopi

45 items over 2 bars? on how many tracks?

I have not a clue as what sort of music this would be.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #92
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
schwa, can we please have it set up so that if "Trim behind" is enabled, the empty space in the selected area will delete anything it tries to paste over top of? I think that is something we missed during the beta phase for that implementation in general... Copy and paste should include the empty space and the empty space should delete whatever it runs into if "Trim behind" is enabled.

http://screencast.com/t/YTU3ZDZkYmEt
+1, definitely.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #93
pac-man

hopi: Imagine a 16th note bassline (or hihat, whatever...) with some "ghost" note fills/variation, 2 bar loop - where you want another type of swing/groove than the one recorded. This bassline loop is then to be slightly varied so that every 2 bars will not sound the same.

And no, tracking another take is just not an option to get this (slightly mechanical if you wish) groove...

i can totally understand not everybody is into this type of editing, but this scenario is really not something rare as a "computer musician", using the DAW as an "instrument" if you so wish...

Just as an example of extensive/creative editing, not me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBfj6khrG4
Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #94
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
I'd say it's all about duplicating a selected area.
I agree with this. Duplicating the selections, length, empty space and all.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #95
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Looking forward to this Scwha!

but don't forget to have a well deserved break first!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #96
hopi

pac-man... ummm still not clear on the actual process you desire

but let me see if I understand it at all...

what I think you are wanting is to be able to select multple items on multiple tracks [say two bars worth] and then copy and paste those as a 'two bar' group [I use the term group losely here]... so you might end up with 8 or 100 pasted copies of that 'group'

Now what I still don't know is this:
..Is this all audio data [wav] or all midi data, or some of each?

Also, when you then say you want to make variations of the data... is that variations after pasting it? This part of the process is not clear to me... I mean exactly what [for example] will be done and done to exactly what???

You mentioned Cubase before.... how and what functions in Cubase would you be using to do this?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #97
pac-man

hopi: Strictly audio in my case (midi is easy enough to edit thru midi editor anyway), and mostly one track at a time. For multiple tracks it would be handy to be able to select several different areas in time, and make [duplicate] follow some (user preferable) pattern/length. For example, the way we now can set time/loop selection to force certain bars/beats or multiples thereof.

As far as the variations i'm referring to - think pitch shifting some items, changing item order, reversing, applying FX, that kind of thing. This is done after duplication, when the basic structure/form of the song is set.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #98
Dstruct

Coming for the MIDI editor too? Duplicating notes/controller data ...
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #99
dsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Coming for the MIDI editor too? Duplicating notes/controller data ...
i was just coming here to ask this same question, its good in the arrange window now but the piano roll/midi needs ctrl-d functionality badly, ableton also does this, so now thats cubase, logic & ableton
dsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #100
hopi

I just droped back again to this discussion and was looking further into it

I can have macros to do pretty much what I want with duplication in the arrange window.. EXCEPT for one thing...

I cannot include in the macro a way to make each item unique so that it will NOT loop [like if you drag it out to the right]...

I think this is because the action for loop item is a toggle... so every time I run the custom dupe action, every other item has loop off... leap frog style, eh?

So thinking if there were two actions.... loop item on and loop item off... it would work better than a toggle...

...or is there a way I've missed?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #101
dsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp View Post
i was just coming here to ask this same question, its good in the arrange window now but the piano roll/midi needs ctrl-d functionality badly, ableton also does this, so now thats cubase, logic & ableton

I just can't find a way round this for midi,I can understand some people don't see the need for this but when im working with 100 keys of a chopped drum loop an trying to program its causing me to go back to cubase to do my editing then export back as a midi file which is not ideal being that reaper is almost perfect for me in most other features
Old 03-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #102
dsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp View Post
I just can't find a way round this for midi,I can understand some people don't see the need for this but when im working with 100 keys of a chopped drum loop an trying to program its causing me to go back to cubase to do my editing then export back as a midi file which is not ideal being that reaper is almost perfect for me in most other features
does any one have a work around yet?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #103
djjedidiah

Can someone repost Adam Wathan's dupe macro steps, they seem to be invisible to me, perhaps they were images that don't exist anymore?
djjedidiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #104
djjedidiah

I was always trying to create something as close to PT duplicate feature. This is where I ended up:

SWS: Select only track(s) with selected item(s)
Edit: Copy items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart copy)
Item navigation: Move cursor to end of items
Go to end of time selection
SWS/AW: Paste

Seems to work just like Pro Tools. Has anyone improved on this?
djjedidiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #105
StuhRAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjedidiah View Post
I was always trying to create something as close to PT duplicate feature. This is where I ended up:

SWS: Select only track(s) with selected item(s)
Edit: Copy items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart copy)
Item navigation: Move cursor to end of items
Go to end of time selection
SWS/AW: Paste

Seems to work just like Pro Tools. Has anyone improved on this?
Hmm, tried this an it just pasted it randomly towards the end of the track. Is there a way of recreating Studio One's duplicate feature? Theirs figures out smartly where it should go depending on the positioning of multiple selected items, or it just pastes it immediately after the single selected item.
StuhRAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #106
vanhaze

Hey StuhRAH,

Did you try mpl's Script: Script: mpl_Smart duplicate items grid relative.lua ?
When you have ReaPack installed and synchronised, this Script should be in your Reaper Action List.

Hope this helps you.

Warm Regards,
Rob.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #107
StuhRAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Hey StuhRAH,

Did you try mpl's Script: Script: mpl_Smart duplicate items grid relative.lua ?
When you have ReaPack installed and synchronised, this Script should be in your Reaper Action List.

Hope this helps you.

Warm Regards,
Rob.
Thanks, that's perfect! I didn't actually have ReaPack installed so there's a lot more useful actions I'm sure will come in handy!
Old 07-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #108
vanhaze

Aha, good 4 U !

Yeah, ReaPack adds dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) extra Actions to Reaper, which extends the already great functionality in Reaper even way more.

Insane stuff, mostly not find in other DAWs, for free !
Old 08-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #109
StuhRAH

Quote:
Aha, good 4 U !

Yeah, ReaPack adds dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) extra Actions to Reaper, which extends the already great functionality in Reaper even way more.

Insane stuff, mostly not find in other DAWs, for free !
It's incredible just how much there is to customize, no other DAW comes close for sure! It would be cool if this script could either follow grid visibility (not snap to 16ths if only quarters are visible, say) or do as Studio One does and take into account the other selected items (if you have more than one selected) and duplicate according to their relative distance, so the duplication is "smart".
Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #110
vanhaze

Maybe try this:

Open Action List.
Put this in the search field: zoom grid

You will now see another great mpl script:
Script: mpl_Zoom horizontally, change grid relatively, preserve grid visibility and snap state (mousewheel).lua

Assign this to your mousewheel.
Now, whenever you move your mousewheel, you zoom in or out horizontally and the Grid value will follow.
So let's say you had your Grid set to 1/8.
Moving your mousewheel can let you zoom in and the mpl script will now automatically change the Grid to 1/16.

About the mpl smart duplicate script:
For me, it does work on multiple selected Items, so the script will duplicate the selected items but keeping their relative start positions..
For you not ?

Warm Regards.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:20 AM   #111
StuhRAH

Quote:
Maybe try this:

Open Action List.
Put this in the search field: zoom grid

You will now see another great mpl script:
Script: mpl_Zoom horizontally, change grid relatively, preserve grid visibility and snap state (mousewheel).lua

Assign this to your mousewheel.
Now, whenever you move your mousewheel, you zoom in or out horizontally and the Grid value will follow.
So let's say you had your Grid set to 1/8.
Moving your mousewheel can let you zoom in and the mpl script will now automatically change the Grid to 1/16.

About the mpl smart duplicate script:
For me, it does work on multiple selected Items, so the script will duplicate the selected items but keeping their relative start positions..
For you not ?

Warm Regards.
Thanks for the tip! I'm using grid snap settings follow grid visibility, would this script work differently?

Also, I *think* it might have to do with the swing settings? I'm not sure if the swing values I'm using might cause a disruption?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:23 PM   #112
StuhRAH

Could someone try it with swing on and tell me if it works properly? Mines all offset by some amount.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:23 AM   #113
neovich

Default Hey

Hi. It makes me laugh. This post is ancient now.
But.... Did the people here ever realise the creator of reaper
replied to above posts ? Mmmm

hint .... Justin !!
neovich is offline   Reply With Quote