Old 12-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
Bownze
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper default settings

Through my own misadventures with Reaper I have reached a point of no return. Quite literally, I can't get back to settings that work how I need them to (and have worked in the past). It all started with an ill fated attempt at installing 2 different IO's, and now everything is just whacked. Aside from an uninstall/reinstall of Reaper, is there a menu anywhere that resets Reaper to "default"? Will the uninstall/reinstall work? Thanks, all!
Bownze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownze View Post
Through my own misadventures with Reaper I have reached a point of no return. Quite literally, I can't get back to settings that work how I need them to (and have worked in the past). It all started with an ill fated attempt at installing 2 different IO's, and now everything is just whacked. Aside from an uninstall/reinstall of Reaper, is there a menu anywhere that resets Reaper to "default"? Will the uninstall/reinstall work? Thanks, all!
Yes there is a simple way to revert to the original settings. Shut down Reaper go to the start menu for reaper, there is a an menu item that says "reset configuration to factory defaults" select that and it should be back to working order.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
Bownze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnpaste View Post
Yes there is a simple way to revert to the original settings. Shut down Reaper go to the start menu for reaper, there is a an menu item that says "reset configuration to factory defaults" select that and it should be back to working order.
You make it sound so easy. I'm running Windows 10 with the most current version of reaper. What is "the start menu for Reaper" and where can I find it? I've searched through many menus and sub-menus for "reset configuration to factory defaults" and haven't seen any such verbiage to click on.

As a last resort, will uninstall/reinstall do the trick?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownze View Post
As a last resort, will uninstall/reinstall do the trick?
No, uninstalling does not touch your settings. But you could delete the whole resource folder from Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Bownze

Default Awesome, thanks!

OK, that did the trick. Thank you so much! Both of ya!
Old 12-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
Rangler

How do you do that on a Mac? I usually just Trash the Application Support folder.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
How do you do that on a Mac? I usually just Trash the Application Support folder.
There's no equivalent to that Windows shortcut on macOS or Linux.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
SoundChisel

Things perhaps have changed. I am running Reaper 6.19 on Windows 10. I cannot find the option to reset to factory configuration. I can find the resource folder but, damn, everything is in there.

If I delete that folder I lose Color themes, Cursors, Data, Effects, ProjectTemplates, much more ... and even the reaper license.

Where do we find the program to reset to factory settings.

I changed everything following Booth Junkie's ideas, but now I need to use reaper for more than just voice over. Cannot get things back.
Retired SUNY professor of Sound Engineering. Still active in studio recording, teaching and videography. Started open reel recording in 1965. New to Reaper as of March 2020. PC based, Presonus interfaces, several microphones, more guitars than I should admit to.
SoundChisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #9
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChisel View Post
Things perhaps have changed. I am running Reaper 6.19 on Windows 10. I cannot find the option to reset to factory configuration. I can find the resource folder but, damn, everything is in there.

If I delete that folder I lose Color themes, Cursors, Data, Effects, ProjectTemplates, much more ... and even the reaper license.

Where do we find the program to reset to factory settings.

I changed everything following Booth Junkie's ideas, but now I need to use reaper for more than just voice over. Cannot get things back.
Someone might chime in with a simpler way, but you could try installing REAPER as portable then exporting the default configuration from that (unchecking the things that you do not want to change in your main installation) then importing that into your non-portable installation.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChisel View Post
If you don't ever back up your stuff, at some point you are guaranteed to lose it and regret. Copy everything you see in the resource path to somewhere safe and you can always bring that stuff back in. Like valy said, you can also export Reaper configurations, they contain most of the stuff you see in the resource path. Options/Preferences/General, import/export configuration...
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 04:09 AM   #11
lostcowboy

Default Found it!

In Windows 11, in the Start Menu, select all apps, then go down to the Reaper folder when you open that up you will find the reset to factory setting.
lostcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote