Old 12-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Waves tune and rewire

Waves manual says that rewire will automatically launch rewire when you launch Waves tune, but whenever I do it says "failed to establish rewire link.

Can I just stick rewire on a dead track somewhere?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Also, rendering waves tune moves the audio inside the item ahead in time the same amount as the PDC showing in the FX window at the bottom left

Old 12-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
chucky5p
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Waves manual says that rewire will automatically launch rewire when you launch Waves tune, but whenever I do it says "failed to establish rewire link.

Can I just stick rewire on a dead track somewhere?
In Reaper, AFAIK, any Rewire enabled plugin will NOT launch Rewire automatically. You need to insert it manually, as shown in the screen-cap below. Also, note that you will need to change the default rewire "Audio From Rewire" settings from "Channel 1/Channel 2" to <none> , otherwise you won't get any sound passing thru the Rewire plugin.

Hope this helps

Chuck

Last edited by chucky5p; 12-10-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added details
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
songsj

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but if I'm not mistaken you do not need to use Rewire with Waves Tune in Reaper. I went through this when I first got Waves Tune, I have used it on 6 songs and do not use Rewire.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Goldreap

Quote:
Also, rendering waves tune moves the audio inside the item ahead in time the same amount as the PDC showing in the FX window at the bottom left
I'm interested to know exactly what's happening here? Are you rendering an item? Are you rendering from the main render dialogue and rendering online? Have you ticked "Add rendered items to new tracks in project" and is that where you are seeing the moved audio? And by moving 'ahead in time' do you mean earlier or later?
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #6
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but if I'm not mistaken you do not need to use Rewire with Waves Tune in Reaper. I went through this when I first got Waves Tune, I have used it on 6 songs and do not use Rewire.
Without rewire it will still work (tune things) but you need rewire if you want REAPER's edit cursor (and thus 'play from' position) to follow what you do in Waves Tune, AND if you want REAPER's loop selection to follow the loop you set in Waves Tune.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #7
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky5p View Post
In Reaper, AFAIK, any Rewire enabled plugin will NOT launch Rewire automatically. You need to insert it manually, as shown in the screen-cap below. Also, note that you will need to change the default rewire "Audio From Rewire" settings from "Channel 1/Channel 2" to <none> , otherwise you won't get any sound passing thru the Rewire plugin.

Hope this helps

Chuck
As you say "you will need to change the default rewire "Audio From Rewire" settings from "Channel 1/Channel 2" to <none>", but you only need to do that if rewire is on the same track as Waves Tune...if on a 'dead track' you don't have to do that.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
I'm interested to know exactly what's happening here? Are you rendering an item? Are you rendering from the main render dialogue and rendering online? Have you ticked "Add rendered items to new tracks in project" and is that where you are seeing the moved audio? And by moving 'ahead in time' do you mean earlier or later?
"Apply FX to items as new take"

The item itself is still the same length and in the same place in time, the audio inside the item is moved to the left by the PDC amount, in this case 3072 samples

I did find that I was trying by making an empty track and sticking waves rewire on it (and which of the waves rewire am I supposed to use? "Rewire" or "Rewire/32" ?) would end up with the timing error but if I removed rewire from the project completely, I got no timing error

However, I have not tried sticking rewire on the same track the way you showed, so I will see if that works

By the way, does rewire have any purpose for this honestly? You cannot seemingly control reaper from inside waves tune so it seems not to serve any purpose as far as I can tell
Old 12-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
Goldreap

Ignore please

Last edited by Goldreap; 12-11-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I just tried an extreme case and apply fx as new take (mono) worked as expected...I threw some really extreme tuning blasts to make it obvious
Old 12-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #11
pipelineaudio
Mortal

What a confusing mess. I love the interface, so much less hassle than melodyne and so much less money than full melodyne too
Old 12-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Well now my confidence is totally destroyed...maybe save up enough to buy a car so I can get melodyne
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #13
Mind Riot

Once I've got all my tuning done I just make a new track and route the Waves Tuned track to it and record the output in real time. I make sure the gains are at unity and no other effects are on, so I'm just getting a new .wav file to work with that's been tuned but with no other changes. Then I mute the original track and minimize it and work off the new tuned one. If I find later I need to change something with the tuning it's easy to go back and adjust things in Waves Tune and record another file with the changes.

I don't know if I'm describing it in an easy to understand way, but it's really a pretty simple and flexible workaround. Any kind of offline rendering, with or without other FX, I've never been able to get to work without the delay.

Also, in my experience I have to put Waves Rewire on its own track and Waves Tune won't work for me without it. For some odd reason, sometimes I have to click on each of the tabs in Waves Rewire to get them to find each other but everything works fine after that.

I should probably mention that I'm working with an older version of Waves Tune. I updated all my Waves plugs and suddenly Waves Tune wouldn't show any audio in its interface. I uninstalled and reinstalled and yada yada, but in the end going back to the older version was the only thing that solved it. So if they've messed with Rewire since 9.2 or so then I may be out of date on that.

Last edited by Mind Riot; 12-10-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:44 PM   #14
songsj

I just make all my tuning corrections then render a stem to new track with the Waves tune FX enabled. It renders with all the corrections and the stem then becomes the vocal track I work with from that point on.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #15
Goldreap

Quote:
I just tried an extreme case and apply fx as new take (mono) worked as expected...I threw some really extreme tuning blasts to make it obvious

I've just deleted my last post because I think something has changed over the last couple of years with how Waves Tune works or how REAPER interacts with it. Previously I had found that 'Apply FX as new take' did not actually render the tuning adjustments (and Waves Support confimed this to me), but now I see that (as you have found) it does work.
EDIT: And with ReWire on the same track (with the Audio out set to none) I'm getting the rendered audio about 100 samples shifted earlier rather than the 3072 samples with ReWire on another track.
Anyway, all very bloody messy.

Last edited by Goldreap; 12-11-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #16
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
I've just deleted my last post because I think something has changed over the last couple of years with how Waves Tune works or how REAPER interacts with it. Previously I had found that 'Apply FX as new take' did not actually render the tuning adjustments (and Waves Support confimed this to me), but now I see that (as you have found) it does work.
EDIT: And with ReWire on the same track (with the Audio out set to none) I'm getting the rendered audio about 100 samples shifted earlier rather than the 3072 samples with ReWire on another track.
Anyway, all very bloody messy.
Its scary anyway, what if sometimes its applying the effect and sometimes not?

Waves has had YEARS to fix this...I feel a bit ripped off that they didnt say it was broken in the description in their site. I guess I should have wondered why such an expensive one was 29 bucks all of a sudden
Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #17
pipelineaudio
Mortal

weird on my home computer it makes neither timing error. My project is 48k and my home computer can only do 44k, thats the only difference I can think of, same project
Old 12-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #18
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Im still not clear, is there something rewire is supposed to do to enhance this plugin? As far as I can tell, you cant control reaper from inside Tune through rewire anyway
Old 12-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #19
Mind Riot

Just starting and stopping playback and having the cursor in Reaper follow your commands in Waves Tune, as far as I know. But that's all I need it to do; everything else is handled in the plugs' interface.

Sorry you're having such trouble. I've been using Waves Tune for several years now with no problems, once I worked out how to get around a couple quirks. Wish I could be of more help.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #20
pipelineaudio
Mortal

How do you start and stop playback from inside waves tune? I see no transport of any sort
Old 12-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #21
ChristopherT

I threw WavesTune out (and wiped all waves software from my computers)
I was a big time Waves user for 10-15 years.
For many many reasons, never again.
Even when those ridiculous sale prices happen - I don't succumb...

For tuning I use AutoTune, or RX7 < both get the job done.
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
Mind Riot

Quote:
How do you start and stop playback from inside waves tune? I see no transport of any sort
I just meant that starting and stopping playback with space bar still works normally when the Waves Tune window has focus, and you can put the cursor wherever you want in the project in Waves Tune and the cursor in Reaper will match it. That's what I think Rewire is for in this instance; to lock the plug in with the DAWs' transport.

I might not be explaining this very well, I hope you can dig what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by Mind Riot; 12-17-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:20 AM   #23
Sibben

Necroposting for posterity and reference.

I am using Waves Tune in REAPER and it works fine for me. I put a ReWire instance after it on the FX chain to get the transport working properly but it works without is as well albeit without proper transport controls.

The only issue I found so far is that custom Project Start Time in Project Settings dialog seems to confuse the region markers in Waves Tune.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:24 AM   #24
AlanC76

Quote:
As you say "you will need to change the default rewire "Audio From Rewire" settings from "Channel 1/Channel 2" to <none>", but you only need to do that if rewire is on the same track as Waves Tune...if on a 'dead track' you don't have to do that.
New to Waves, you've just saved me a lot of wasted time ! ! All working great now and no noticeable latency ;-) Thanks !
AlanC76 is offline   Reply With Quote