Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
saresu.bass
Human being with feelings

Default How to trigger MIDI through 2 or more separately audio sources simultaneously?

hi there

In this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z81ZBT0xPFE&t=310s this gentleman is triggering MIDI through audio, once a time.

I wanna trigger audio from 2 mics (or more) separately to a VST instrument. But I couldnt manage to do it so far

Is that possible?
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

The first two plugs are the ones that generate the midi. Put both of them on each audio track and adjust as necessary. Remember to set them to different output notes if you want them to trigger different drums. Put the VSTi on a third track. Send the MIDI (only) from both trigger tracks to the VSTi track.

Actually, I think you could just put the trigger plug by itself on the trigger tracks and use just one of the velocity plugs on the VSTi track. If you really want to get weird you could use multichannel routing and plugin pins to keep all of the plugins on the one track, but you'd still need two of the trigger plugs, and it really is more messing around than necessary.

Of course then depending on what you're actually doing, you will probably have to do something about crosstalk and bleed between the two microphones. Start with mic positioning to try and reject the "other pad" as best possible. That might not be enough though, so you'll have to do something in Reaper to clean it up. That starts to get a bit more complicated. I'm not actually even sure the best way to deal with it though I might need it some day. It will involve sidechaining things to things, but I just don't know for sure what the best tool for the job would be.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
The first two plugs are the ones that generate the midi. Put both of them on each audio track and adjust as necessary. Remember to set them to different output notes if you want them to trigger different drums. Put the VSTi on a third track. Send the MIDI (only) from both trigger tracks to the VSTi track.

Actually, I think you could just put the trigger plug by itself on the trigger tracks and use just one of the velocity plugs on the VSTi track. If you really want to get weird you could use multichannel routing and plugin pins to keep all of the plugins on the one track, but you'd still need two of the trigger plugs, and it really is more messing around than necessary.

Of course then depending on what you're actually doing, you will probably have to do something about crosstalk and bleed between the two microphones. Start with mic positioning to try and reject the "other pad" as best possible. That might not be enough though, so you'll have to do something in Reaper to clean it up. That starts to get a bit more complicated. I'm not actually even sure the best way to deal with it though I might need it some day. It will involve sidechaining things to things, but I just don't know for sure what the best tool for the job would be.

It took me a while to figure the proper routing to a kontakt instrument that I'm using inside a folder.

I tested miking a table with 2 sm57 spaced from each other (I routed 2 triggering tracks). It's working really nice. I'm loving this a lot. The idea of not relying on drum pads is really liberating.

Later I'll see how it's gonna work with a pair of congas.

Thank you so much for ur prompt answer.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Glad I could help.

I was really happy to be able to remove the drum brain from my live rig when I figured out I could just plug my trigger kit into spare inputs on my interface and let Reaper do the work. One rack space doesn't seem like much, but...
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
saresu.bass

Quote:
Glad I could help.

I was really happy to be able to remove the drum brain from my live rig when I figured out I could just plug my trigger kit into spare inputs on my interface and let Reaper do the work. One rack space doesn't seem like much, but...
I've been playing with it and it's working alright but it only plays the samples with a fixed velocity set at "Value Offset" in the Midi Scaler.

How do I make it trigger samples but according to the velocity matching my dynamics?
I.e. When I play quiet, it should trigger with low velocity and when I play loud it triggers with high velocity.

I hope my question is making sense.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Philbo King

Offset is added to the actual velocity. Try setting it to zero.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #7
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Offset is added to the actual velocity. Try setting it to zero.
Absolutely!

I cranked up the mic inputs and then it started to read my "velocity" fairly well I must say...
What can I do without you guys?
Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 AM   #8
saresu.bass

Quote:
Glad I could help.

Im curious to know if other daws have easy portability to do this as well.