Old 11-03-2006, 03:52 AM   #1
sinkmusic
Human being with feelings

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain
Default mid/side help needed

Hello

I have just made a raw stereo recording of a band playing using a minidisc, but the sound which in the center of the stereo field is too loud compared to the instruments which were onthe left and right side.
So i am looking for a plugin (or a way todo it in Reaper, because i know nothing about Mid/side stuff..) which could lower the volume in the center of the stereo field , while increasing the volume on the sides...

Any advices on a plugin or a configuration to do this in Reaper (withot artifacts) ?
Thank you !
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
LOSER

Even though I don't know if it's with out artefacts, since MD is compressed? format.
But anyway, just put the "KanakaMSEncoder1" and right behind it the "KanakaMS5" in your FX-chain.
Then lower the "center level" to your needs.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
sinkmusic

Thank you.
I have also found the Voxengo MSed plugin, which works quite fine. But it is not as tweakable as i hoped
Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
RedStone

Insert the JS plug-in "Kanaka MS encoder" first, then insert the "Kanaka MS5" after - you can take down the centre level with the MS5

:0)

edit: LOSER beat me to it .. hehe .. I should have read before posting
Old 11-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

MSED should do what you want using its "inline" setting - what it can't do can't be done with the AB > MS > AB technique. (Or with the JS effects of course). The only other way of doing this kind of thing is using quite different methods such as in Audition's 'centre channel extractor' but that can end up phasey if pushed very far. I think there may be something in the Elevaytor (?) plugins - Space Boy??? - that is aimed at this scenario.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
sinkmusic

Thank you Art.
I played a bit with msed, but i guess for what i have in mind it will be a lot of bothering for a not-so-good result... Because as there is a lot of different frequencies layering and gathering, the midside stuff doesn't really work like'd like. I think i iwll use it on some parts, with n-drastic settings, and i iwll try to eq it to ake the wished freq fit better in the mix. It is live recording, a amateur stuff, it might sound better "raw"
BTW, i also found this windening eq which seems nice, if anyone is interested :
http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products...ingParametrEQ/
Old 11-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
Art Evans
Mortal

Might as well mention DigitalFishPhone's "Endorphin" M/S capable compressor, which can vary width according to level, for instance, while we're kicking MS stuff around.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #8
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Might as well mention DigitalFishPhone's "Endorphin" M/S capable compressor, which can vary width according to level, for instance, while we're kicking MS stuff around.
You could also route the midside to one Reacomp and center to another. Same goes with eq.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:58 AM   #9
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
You could also route the midside to one Reacomp and center to another. Same goes with eq.
Thank you, both Olzzon and Art. I have endorphin but i don't use it a lot : i guess it's time for diving again into it !
... And yes, maybe that routing the mid to an eq and the side to another one could solve a little bit my problems (despite the phase risks, right ?).. Let's tweak !
Listening the recording one more time, i realize that the main problem is mostly that the bass player was too loud, but it is very difficult to cut his frequencies (90-200hz resonance) without affecting the overall sound too much (id i cut, i loose all the drumkicks... !), and as he played close to (and in front of) the mic, he is heard both in the mid and the side, like the drums, so it is very difficult to ake the synth parts louder.. !
Old 11-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
Art Evans
Mortal

With a straight-to-stereo recording you do tend to get stuck with what you've got. Bass can often be too heavy - sounded great on the night in the venue but you wouldn't want to record it like that.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #11
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
With a straight-to-stereo recording you do tend to get stuck with what you've got. Bass can often be too heavy - sounded great on the night in the venue but you wouldn't want to record it like that.
Yes, that's it : it sounded fine in the place where it was played, but on the recording : the bass is too loud.
I will keep this as a nice souvenir anyway !
thanks again