Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #41
airon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
pans, levels, filters, crossfades. i'm sure there's something else but,
not yet using reaper, it's not coming to mind at the moment.

thanks,
BabaG
That's a good idea. I'm not sure anyone has put that in to a well thought out feature request (problem/solution or why/how arguments) yet.

Updated the first post. We've had an influx of votes on many on all but one of the feature requests. Area Selection now stands at 339 and the edit groups which I believe should come after area selection because that is best suited for edit groups, is approaching 250 votes.

Last edited by airon; 06-24-2010 at 03:43 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #42
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
* make a new track
* click fx to open fx window. right click in blank fx pane. select 'add fx chain'
* add the attached fx chain in the zip file in this post
* right-click there again, and select 'save chain as default for new tracks'

now,

* right click on the master track 'master' label.
* select 'show FX paramters when size permits'
* UNTICK 'show fx inserts when size permits' and 'show sends when size permits'
* stretch the mixer window up a bit so it's big enough to show the sends

that's it - every new track should show those controls

We've had some ideas to include coloured versions of these knobs to group them better. Some mechanism to make them appear and hide them per plugin wouldn't be bad either, don't you think ?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #43
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
pans, levels, filters, crossfades. i'm sure there's something else but,
not yet using reaper, it's not coming to mind at the moment.

thanks,
BabaG
I imagine this may a good job for a slot system, like the SWS Snapshots or the Nudge setting slots. Select item, save to slot(or copy to clipboard slot), select other items, apply slot of paste from clipboard slot).

Work out an FR and post it.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #44
AdventSorrow

MFX support and full stereo panning are my top picks!
AdventSorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #45
d. gauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
We've had some ideas to include coloured versions of these knobs to group them better. Some mechanism to make them appear and hide them per plugin wouldn't be bad either, don't you think ?
or... perhaps just build an eq into the mixer
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #46
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
or... perhaps just build an eq into the mixer
again: lots of people don't want an EQ cluttering up every channel, or would prefer a different EQ. or want a 4-band EQ on by default. it doesn't make sense to have it on there like that. why keep asking for it when it's been clearly demonstrated how to add it for your own setup?
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #47
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventSorrow View Post
MFX support and full stereo panning are my top picks!
from memory, MFX support got shot down pretty brutally a little while back - apparently the API is even more ridiculous than the DirectX one.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #48
bblue

Quote:
again: lots of people don't want an EQ cluttering up every channel, or would prefer a different EQ. or want a 4-band EQ on by default. it doesn't make sense to have it on there like that. why keep asking for it when it's been clearly demonstrated how to add it for your own setup?
I, for one, wouldn't want the same eq set on each track. Equalizers are like any other fx, they can sound quite different one to the next even when you try and match slopes and amplitudes. Generally speaking, you don't want every track eq to have the same characteristic or 'color'. In fact, just the opposite. Choose an equalizer based on the specific sound you're working with and want on that track.

-1 for built-in track eq. Templates are perfect.

--Bill
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #49
EvilDragon

Quote:
from memory, MFX support got shot down pretty brutally a little while back - apparently the API is even more ridiculous than the DirectX one.
But it's tied to DirectX in a way, right? It should happen sometime, it's an elevated FR ;_;
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #50
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
But it's tied to DirectX in a way, right? It should happen sometime, it's an elevated FR ;_;
Yeah I know, -sad face- .

Sorry
Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #51
d. gauss

Quote:
let's see if i can explain why... (sorry if it rambles as i haven't had me coffee yet )

Quote:
it's been clearly demonstrated how to add it for your own setup
true, and while i appreciate that it can be done, it is still a kludge and not easy on the eye. (someone mentioned colors?)
since i often use a 32 channel analog console for mixing/summing (or 24 channels of motorized controller faders), many times i don't even need to see the TCP.
reaper doesn't have a "true mixer/mixer view" and that leaves a ton of empty screen real estate.

btw, have ya'll seen the mixer in propellerhead record? nice looking job.

Quote:
lots of people don't want an EQ cluttering up every channel
again, true for some folks, but after 30 years of recording/mixing on large format analog consoles, i personally don't mind seeing a "console view," as i can tell what is going on in a single glance. and... if it is hideable, where's the clutter?
to reaper's credit, the "hideabilty" part is already there with the "show knobs" option.

Quote:
would prefer a different EQ. or want a 4-band EQ on by default. it doesn't make sense to have it on there like that.
agreed. sometimes the console eq may not be the right tool for the job on a few tracks, but, just as any decent analog console (ssl, neve, api, trident) should be able to handle the bulk of the heavy lifting, so should a quality built-in DAW eq. (and naturally reaper's would be quality)
fwiw, when i started out, i used to assist for an "a-list" mix engineer, and you'd be surprised at how little outboard gear he used on a mix. over 90 percent was just the SSL plus maybe 2 delays and an 1176.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblue
I, for one, wouldn't want the same eq set on each track. Equalizers are like any other fx, they can sound quite different one to the next even when you try and match slopes and amplitudes. Generally speaking, you don't want every track eq to have the same characteristic or 'color'.
ok, but that's your preference not mine. a neve has a "sound." an ssl has a "sound." an api....etc.
passing all audio through the same path gives the mix "that sound," and for me that's a good thing.

which leads me to my next point/suggestion/FR/whatever...

hard as it may be, assume for a second that reaper decided it was going have a dedicated eq/mixer view.

now cockos, being the innovative aces they are, really go all out and take it one step further...

they build 3 accurately modeled consoles natively into the program: an SSL style, a neve style, and an API or a Trident style. in options/preferences you can pick any one of them. (or of course none at all for those who prefer)
and just to be clear, these aren't "themes," but actual models. you don't just get the look and feel, you get "the sound" from the get go without the need for waves/URS/nebula etc.

i would love that (and i know others who would too)

some of you, well, not so much

cheers
Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #52
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
reaper doesn't have a "true mixer/mixer view" and that leaves a ton of empty screen real estate.
Er, what? You can undock and stretch the Mixer fullscreen and place it on its own monitor, if you want. :/
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #53
d. gauss

Quote:
Er, what? You can undock and stretch the Mixer fullscreen and place it on its own monitor, if you want. :/
yes, you can have big tall faders and little monochromatic circles that you added for sends or plug parameters... but i wouldn't call that a mixer view because other than faders/pans there isn't much to the mixer natively.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #54
EvilDragon

I dunno, I find the big Mixer view very comprehensive, you can see all your sends and FX if necessary, you can drag&drop them around, it's extremely useful. You can put plugin parameters on it which would then control EQ and/or compression you put... it goes beyond what mixing consoles was, it actually builds upon it and makes it better.

My 0.02$.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #55
captain caveman

Quote:
I dunno, I find the big Mixer view very comprehensive, you can see all your sends and FX if necessary, you can drag&drop them around, it's extremely useful. You can put plugin parameters on it which would then control EQ and/or compression you put... it goes beyond what mixing consoles was, it actually builds upon it and makes it better.

My 0.02$.
On the subject of mixing desks, a welcome enhancement to the FX parameters in the mixer would be to have the current size of knobs, plus a smaller one that could be offset to the side to reduce the vertical room required. This and having a small knob on top of the big one like a double EQ pot on a mixing desk to have 2 seperate assignments per knob would make things a bit more compact.

You could get an EQ section in there with a fraction of the real-estate.
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #56
EvilDragon

Yes, I agree to all of that.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #57
d. gauss

Old 06-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #58
EvilDragon

You can pretty much have all that in Reaper as well using track templates. Not necessarily laid out in the same way, but it's doable.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #59
babag

Quote:
I imagine this may a good job for a slot system, like the SWS Snapshots or the Nudge setting slots. Select item, save to slot(or copy to clipboard slot), select other items, apply slot of paste from clipboard slot).

Work out an FR and post it.
don't know what a slot system is. have asked on the feature request forum before. find the whole voting for features system confusing. noone usually responds to things like this that i've asked about. maybe i need to be a registered user. in any event, since i'm not an official user (yet), and since i've tried before, and since it seems confusing, i'm not inclined to try again. just wanted to find out if this is available yet.

ed's workarounds seem a possibility, however, since different parameters seem to need different workarounds, it seems like it could run into a lot of work to do something that should be offered in a simple copy/paste operation. we are a decade into the 21st century, after all.

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #60
EvilDragon

What's confusing in tracker/voting system?

1. You first post in FR section of the forum, NOT in the tracker!
2. After some people reply with their opinions, you...
3. Open a post in the Tracker, mirroring the opening post from FR section and possibly including ideas from other users that replied to your FR if you liked them
4. Link back to the original FR thread
5. Link from the FR thread to the tracker thread for people to vote
6. Let the people vote

Now of course we're all different and have different needs, so depending on type of FR you might or might not get a lot of people following your ideas. I know my FRs have been hit and miss quite a few times!

There are plenty of copy/paste actions in Reaper, actually (if you take SWS extensions into account as well). You are invited to check up on Actions List, since it's your best friend in Reaper after all, along with the right-click!

Don't know what a slot system is? This, for example, is a slot sytem.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #61
matthias.matthias

Default This might go a long way

Quote:
there is one basic request for a notation kind of view. Staff view on top of the piano roll , posted almost a year ago.
I think this along with inline viewing/editing would be really helpful. I don't necessary need reaper to print scores, but I'd like to be able to look at chords or polyphonic lines more easily while composing.
matthias.matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #62
babag

thanks for clearing that up about feature requests and voting, ed. i
have to say, though, that that's a lot of work for a non-user to go
to with all the composing and cross posting for a request that might
or might not result in action. for the time being, magix will continue
getting my upgrade money and i'll just keep checking in as to whether
copy/paste has made it to reaper on this level. kind of too bad as my
current samplitude upgrade will run me more than a full reaper license.
magix has the feature set i use, though.

the good thing is that reaper updates come so fast it may get this kind
of functionality before long with or without my continued input.

thanks again,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #63
airon

Quote:
You can pretty much have all that in Reaper as well using track templates. Not necessarily laid out in the same way, but it's doable.
Except for the coloured buttons. It's possible the developers are reluctant to make the user use a lot of screen space for the mixer, which things like this would require.

Quite a few users, me among them, have posted plenty of decent ideas on this subject. One problem is that you never know whether the developers will ever join the discussion until they actually start on that feature. I guess it's not a good idea to do it any different. It's the best way anyone's come up with so far.

The native actions for the snap commands are coming along nicely. It's spawning some rather clever stuff too, with snapping item starts while leaving its end in place for example.

I'm curious what you ladies and gents think of this idea for the trim commands.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #64
Sound asleep

i've said it before and i'll say it again, what i find reaper is missing most is snapping t ogrid with grid having swing settings. ideally you could have your grid pegged to your qantize value. i think this is the one thing about cubase that i like more than other programs i've tried. they made their quantize/grid functionality work in a really efficient way with their drop down menus. plus you can make your own quantize map which is amazing. you can even do it with audio, so like beatbox a beat and you use those transients for mapping out your quantize/grid settings. awesome.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #65
Gromit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
All good, but I'd put NOTATION right at the top.
Absolutely.

The only thing that I'm missing in Reaper at the moment is the ability to edit and view a score (or just a few individual parts) in musical notation. I don't need Reaper to 'do a Sibelius' and produce high quality printed scores, but to my mind notation editing is very important.

I've seen several threads suggesting adding an external MIDI editor, but to be honest none of them works very well for me. People also say that it would be a tremendous amount of work to implement, and as an ex C++ programer I can appreciate that, but I don't see it as necessarily any more difficult than for example the video stuff.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #66
Gromit

Quote:
Not before some crucial functionality is added.
You see, for me notation editing is crucial functionality. My job of creating music is made considerably more difficult than it needs to be without it.

I'm not a keyboard player, as you may have guessed.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:05 AM   #67
EvilDragon

I AM a keyboard player, and still don't think of notation as a top priority. There are producer FRs that are simply much more important right now, to me at least.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:16 AM   #68
Gromit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
I'm sensing that some people here seem to be prepared to go to considerable lengths in order to find reasons NOT to be asking for a notation editor from Cockos as a FR, and I don't really understand why.

Surely such questions as exactly how difficult it would be to add notation and whether it should be implemented natively or via extensions (or at all) are issues for the Cockos developers themselves to decide upon, and not for us to pre-empt (unless I've misunderstood something and some of you have inside information to which the rest of us are not privvy)?

Rather than continue to proffer reasons to avoid asking for a notation editor, why can't we just add notation to the list and leave it up to the devs to decide for themselves if, whether, when and how to implement it?
Good point.

Please can we have this FR taken seriously enough to be passed on to the devs, so that they can decide on whether it's feasible for them to implement?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:55 AM   #69
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Good point.

Please can we have this FR taken seriously enough to be passed on to the devs, so that they can decide on whether it's feasible for them to implement?
I'll repeat what I stated in post #40.

The way this works is that somebody posts a well worded and thought out feature request in the issue tracker.

There are quite a few discussions in the feature request forum where ideas are proposed and discussed before they are refined in to the entries for the issue tracker. The most recent one appears to be this : http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=60001

There is one basic request for a notation kind of view. Staff view on top of the piano roll , posted almost a year ago.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #70
Gromit

Quote:

The way this works is that somebody posts a well worded and thought out feature request in the issue tracker.

There are quite a few discussions in the feature request forum where ideas are proposed and discussed before they are refined in to the entries for the issue tracker. The most recent one appears to be this : http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=60001

There is one basic request for a notation kind of view. Staff view on top of the piano roll , posted almost a year ago.
There's absolutely no need to be rude, friend.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #71
The Spark

Quote:
Id like to give this one a huge +1.
The Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #72
cerberus

another pitch for "freeze"; more than just a snowflake
toolbar icon cast adrift and seeking a function, please.
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #73
airon

Added FREEZE - per track with one button

Added Uncomfortable Fader Scale
Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #74
Xasman

Quote:

Looks like somebody just did

Folks, can we please work together with all this stuff, rather than allow ourselves to get on our "high horses" about certain issues (in this case, the notation FR)? There's really no need to be either defensive or aggressive (or officious) about any of this.

Whilst I accept that many of the things on Airon's list are important to many (and some would benefit me too), at the same time could I respectfully ask those who responded negatively to requests for a built-in notation editor to kindly please stop doing so and just accept that some users DO rate this as an important FR, even if you don't. If you don't want it, all you need do is choose not to vote in the tracker to say you'd use it.

Our opinions are all equally vaild; let's respect that. Thanks.

Last edited by Xasman; 06-27-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #75
airon

Of course. I simply have no knowledge about what's important in notation and what its users expect of it. That's why I can't help anyone with that, and thought it would be beneficial if I pointed folks to a discussion where folks who do know a lot about it discuss it.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #76
airon

Bump. The Freeze request has taken off. Don't forget to post your thoughts in the requests' discussion threads.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:41 AM   #77
shakey.oberon

The old classic:

Built in pitch bend envelope

and a couple of speedy editing tweaks from me:

Snap to grid lines when moving contents within items

Actions to reverse item fades and item envelopes when item is reversed
shakey.oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #78
airon

Bump. Freeze is growing in votes nicely.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #79
airon

added Disable/Deactivate Track Option
Old 06-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #80
WyattRice

Airon,
Here's another one worth taking a look at. Check it out.

Discussion: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=60470

Issue Tracker: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2680

Thanks, Wyatt