Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-14-2021, 06:11 AM   #1
mike@overtonedsp
Human being with feelings

Default [ANN] ACM-5A Mid-Range EQ Plug-In for Linux Released

Applied Computer Music Technologies - developer of the OverTone Range of plug-ins have a new mid-range EQ plug-in available.

Inspired by the vintage Pultec MEQ-5 mid-range EQ, the ACM-5A perfectly complements the ACM-2A Program EQ, emulating the sought-after passive filter character. The ACM-5A is a versatile mid-range equalizer capable of subtle sonic enhancement or more obvious presence, highlighting elements of a mix without harshness or fatigue.

• Smooth controls with no ‘zipper noise’ when adjusting the plug-in settings.
  • Physically modelled rotary control modes.
  • Modern resizable graphical user interface.
  • Ideal for acoustic instruments, drums and vocals.
  • Transformer-coupled valve / tube amplifier emulation enhances the vintage tone.
  • Easy to install. Professional audio for Linux, made easy.

The ACM-5A is available to demo for free, as a VST2 and VST3 compatible plug-in for Linux.
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
PMan

Hi Mike;

I'm curious - are the ACMT plugins updated or different from the OvertoneDSP units?

I like to support Linux devs by purchasing Linux plugins - and I'm happy to purchase the ACMT plugs, regardless. I'm just curious (and hoping you are free to comment on the situation).

BTW, a nice Reaper only differentiator (if the ACMT plugins use Juce) is this Reaper GUI integration: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=254565

Thanks for supporting Linux!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:56 AM   #3
mike@overtonedsp

Quote:
I'm curious - are the ACMT plugins updated or different from the OvertoneDSP units?
The DSP has, lets say, some heritage - as you would expect, but there have been some changes as well. For example the ACM-2A (and the 5A) employ an improved transformer saturation model, and the reference levels have been brought more in line with relative analogue levels so they now operate at a standard of -18dBFS for 0dBu.
Similarly the ACM500 EQ features improved filter modelling, changes to the control ranges to focus better / finer control in the ranges that are important, together with a Q instead of bandwidth control and an optional HPF to tame subsonic issues - especially when boosting the low-end.
The ACM510 is more aligned to analogue levels too - it was a conscious design decision in the DYN500 to aim it more at digital levels, however some users have found this made their gain structuring less intuitive.
What we are trying to do with these is to focus on delivering a high-end option for Linux, which is easy to install, setup, and use, without interrupting your creativity. At the same time we can introduce improvements without altering aspects of the OverTone plug-in's character which users have come to enjoy.
With more DAWs for Linux now available, and greater ease of setup, its never been easier to tap into the power of Linux for professional audio, so, as long time supporters of Linux audio, this is kind of our bet on that - lets hope it works out...

Last edited by mike@overtonedsp; 06-17-2021 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:20 AM   #4
elcalen

Speaking of easy to install and setup, having bought ACM-2A not long ago, I think this is mostly true, but I wish there was an option to set the knob control mode in the plugin itself, rather than just the DAW side. It's not very intuitive—in fact I didn't even know Reaper had this option before I started using the ACM-2A, it's so rarely used... Also the setting didn't seem to work right for the VST3 version of the plugin, I have no idea if this is an issue with Reaper or the plugin...
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:04 AM   #5
mike@overtonedsp

Quote:
...I have no idea if this is an issue with Reaper or the plugin...
I think there was an issue with the ACM2A knob mode setting which is fixed in the current release, the VST3 certainly seems to work as expected here. Perhaps you had an earlier version?
Old 06-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@overtonedsp View Post
I think there was an issue with the ACM2A knob mode setting which is fixed in the current release, the VST3 certainly seems to work as expected here. Perhaps you had an earlier version?
Hmm, the version I had installed did say 3.0.0, same as the current one available, but I tried re-downloading and installing anyway and it appears as if it's now working...
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote