Old 09-26-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper audio through zoom?

I would like to use reaper audio through zoom. I found someone on YouTube with a way to do it, but that won't work for me. They used REAStream through OBS, and then cast through screen share. But, I won't be able to do that, as I need to be able to control the computer that will be sending me the reaper audio through the stream.

I have VB Cable, which I think might be able to get me what I'd like to do, but I'm trying to test it out, and reaper just doesn't appear in my list of programs in app volume and device preferences of windows. Otherwise I could set the output of reaper to be a VB cable I think, and then set that as the microphone input in zoom. But if reaper doesn't appear there, I can't do that. And I can't change the output from within reaper, because it needs to be my ASIO device for latency purposes, which doesn't allow me to select VB cable as an output device.

Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2022, 09:24 PM   #2
JRTaylorMusic

Best solution I’ve found (I’ve been doing this a lot for people since pandemic).

-REAPER using ASIO driver
- - ReaRoute (not ReaStream)

-OBS
- - ASIO OBS plug-in
- - ASIO input capture => ReaRoute ASIO (client 1-2)
- - OBS settings => Audio => Advanced: Monitoring Device: VB Cable

-Zoom
- - VB Cable

**Important - ensure consistent sample rate of all playback devices in Windows’ Sound Control Panel, as well as in REAPER/OBS!!

You could use Voicemeeter Banana in lieu of OBS, but I find OBS more stable.
JRTaylorMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #3
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTaylorMusic View Post
Best solution I’ve found (I’ve been doing this a lot for people since pandemic).

-REAPER using ASIO driver
- - ReaRoute (not ReaStream)

-OBS
- - ASIO OBS plug-in
- - ASIO input capture => ReaRoute ASIO (client 1-2)
- - OBS settings => Audio => Advanced: Monitoring Device: VB Cable

-Zoom
- - VB Cable

**Important - ensure consistent sample rate of all playback devices in Windows’ Sound Control Panel, as well as in REAPER/OBS!!

You could use Voicemeeter Banana in lieu of OBS, but I find OBS more stable.
Ok thanks. What's the ASIO OBS plug-in? That's an additional download?

This will be my backup plan.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:08 AM   #4
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Ok thanks. What's the ASIO OBS plug-in? That's an additional download?

This will be my backup plan.
asio obs plugin is currently broken with OBS v28
Old 09-27-2022, 11:15 AM   #5
serr

There are a few ways to make the connections. (Including Dante network audio solutions.) The older simple way is to use a virtual audio device app like VB Cable you mentioned. (Soundflower, Loopback, Black Hole, Jack, etc)

The issue with OBS is it assumes a simple 2 channel audio interface. You can't connect to anything beyond channels 1/2. Make an aggregate device with your normal audio interface + the virtual device. Output to the virtual device from Reaper. (You can output to both if you wish.) Then select the virtual device in OBS and the audio will be there.

I haven't played with the ReaStream option myself yet. (Just used to doing it like I said above.) That looks easy and slick too though.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
EvilDragon

I'm super happy that RME has software loopback, making this sort of thing a cinch.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:22 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'm super happy that RME has software loopback, making this sort of thing a cinch.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #8
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
asio obs plugin is currently broken with OBS v28
Ok, that will no longer be my backup plan lol. Thankfully Sonobus is actually fucking awesome, and works really well for this.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #9
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
How does that work?
Old 09-27-2022, 12:40 PM   #10
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
There are a few ways to make the connections. (Including Dante network audio solutions.) The older simple way is to use a virtual audio device app like VB Cable you mentioned. (Soundflower, Loopback, Black Hole, Jack, etc)

The issue with OBS is it assumes a simple 2 channel audio interface. You can't connect to anything beyond channels 1/2. Make an aggregate device with your normal audio interface + the virtual device. Output to the virtual device from Reaper. (You can output to both if you wish.) Then select the virtual device in OBS and the audio will be there.

I haven't played with the ReaStream option myself yet. (Just used to doing it like I said above.) That looks easy and slick too though.
For this I had a couple issues with OBS route. The first is that OBS lets you stream your cam, but doesn't let you stream the audio separately. Works fine for most applications as they will just happily accept the feed with audio and video. But zoom appears to require a separate feed for audio.

If I understood you correctly, with reaper, when my ASIO interface is being used, I only have the option to send outputs of the interface. So, I can't use VB Cable with that. I would need to go directlink, or waveout or something, which would destroy my latency.

But sonobus worked amazingly well. Insanely easy to setup, and worked immediately like a charm. It's really cool.

If you haven't heard of it before, essentially it's a plugin you put on whatever track, it will take that audio, and send it to a server you name, and can password protect, person on the other end does the same, in our case stick it on the master, or they can use a standalone version as well, and there you go, you both hear whatever you play. But it doesn't duplicate your own thing, it only lets you hear what the other person is sending you.

Pretty sweet. So, I am able to use zoom for video and to control my nephew's PC, and see whatever he does, and then sonobus let's him hear me, and I can hear him as well, and we both have good latency on our own end.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:53 PM   #11
serr

Yeah there are a handful of solutions now.

I'm pretty sure you need ASIO4ALL in Windows to aggregate multiple interfaces. So one of the other solutions might be easier.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:09 PM   #12
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Yeah there are a handful of solutions now.

I'm pretty sure you need ASIO4ALL in Windows to aggregate multiple interfaces. So one of the other solutions might be easier.
Oh, asio4all makes sense. I just never had that on my PC. Didn't think of that.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:21 PM   #13
TheMoth

Listento from Audiomovers is an excellent - but sadly not free - solution for this.

You can insert the plugin on the master channel and then generate a link where folks can listen to all audio passing through the bus in PCM quality

Edit: This way you can bypass Zoom audio conversion entirely. Last time I had to listen through Zoom the quality was rather bad.
TheMoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:38 AM   #14
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoth View Post
Listento from Audiomovers is an excellent - but sadly not free - solution for this.

You can insert the plugin on the master channel and then generate a link where folks can listen to all audio passing through the bus in PCM quality

Edit: This way you can bypass Zoom audio conversion entirely. Last time I had to listen through Zoom the quality was rather bad.
Sonobus works very similarly, except you can't just use a link, you need to run the software and join a room. But it is free.

Your solution would be a lot better for say, you wanted to show your work to a number of people in various locations, and didn't want to have to bother them with downloading anything though. Sounds pretty cool actually. But sonobus is perfect for my situation.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:38 AM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
How does that work?
It's built-in to it's driver/mixer software. It's sad all sound card vendors don't offer this feature in 2022. I was lucky that I was aware of this type of functionality way back in 1998 when I purchased my first sound card (M-Audio Delta 66), which also had this feature - it essentially loops the sound card output back to a set of inputs so you can record/route it etc.

That's why I say it's sad, as it's been available, if the sound card vendor cared to add the functionality for at least 25 years.

On a side note, I hope you are doing well my friend. I haven't hung out here as much lately but only because I've been so busy.

Take care!
Old 09-28-2022, 05:50 PM   #16
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It's built-in to it's driver/mixer software. It's sad all sound card vendors don't offer this feature in 2022. I was lucky that I was aware of this type of functionality way back in 1998 when I purchased my first sound card (M-Audio Delta 66), which also had this feature - it essentially loops the sound card output back to a set of inputs so you can record/route it etc.

That's why I say it's sad, as it's been available, if the sound card vendor cared to add the functionality for at least 25 years.

On a side note, I hope you are doing well my friend. I haven't hung out here as much lately but only because I've been so busy.

Take care!
Oh ya, my old interface had that, it was very handy. You pressed a button and whatever you played on there was recorded in stereo. It is a feature I miss on my current interface for sure. But VB Cable is a workable workaround.

I'm doing alright. Have been doing more mixing and recording lately so I've been kicking around here more than I have normally since back in the day. Found a great YouTube channel, mixing with mike. Man, I wish I would have found that sooner lol. It's really great. Learned a lot from it. My mixing sucks less now lol.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:08 PM   #17
Tod

I don't know if this will help, but when I use zoom, I patch my outputs 3&4 to my inputs 3&4.

Then in Reaper I setup a track to record from my voice and send that track out though Audio outputs 3&4.

If I want to record from the internet, I set up a track with inputs set to stereo 3&4 and simply record it. However, I have to also set my Windows-10 Sound Control Panel for Outputs 3&4.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #18
Sound asleep

Wdym? how do you patch inputs and outputs like that? You mean for your hardware? Like your hardware has 4 outs? I feel like these are things my setup can't do, but I'm not sure I fully understand.

I actually got everything sorted out with sonobus though. It's pretty cool. it's a VST or standalone. And whatever track you put it on, it sends all that audio to some room you create and name whatever you want, with password if you want. Then other person does same, goes in same room, and you hear each other. So, I will put that on master, and so will my nephew, and we will use zoom just for video.

But I'm interested to understand exactly what you mean, because that might be useful to me for other things.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #19
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It's sad all sound card vendors don't offer this feature in 2022. I was lucky that I was aware of this type of functionality way back in 1998 when I purchased my first sound card (M-Audio Delta 66), which also had this feature
I think it was back in the late 90s I had 3 Direct Pro Q-10 interfaces, each having 8 mic/line inputs and 10 line outputs. It was put out by a company called "Aardvark", it had software with the ability to link any input to any output. They sold for about $800 each.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:58 PM   #20
Tod

Quote:
Wdym? how do you patch inputs and outputs like that? You mean for your hardware? Like your hardware has 4 outs? I feel like these are things my setup can't do, but I'm not sure I fully understand.

I actually got everything sorted out with sonobus though. It's pretty cool. it's a VST or standalone. And whatever track you put it on, it sends all that audio to some room you create and name whatever you want, with password if you want. Then other person does same, goes in same room, and you hear each other. So, I will put that on master, and so will my nephew, and we will use zoom just for video.

But I'm interested to understand exactly what you mean, because that might be useful to me for other things.
I use regular patch cords to connect output to input. I've got over 60 patch cords left over from the old days, I had over 230 points patch bays in those days.

But yeah, you do need at least 4 inputs/outputs to do this.

I'm looking for a new interface that can do this with software, they're hard to find without having to pay almost twice the cost for the same amount of inputs/outputs, just for the software. I suppose there are some extra hardware parts that are needed for the software to work.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #21
Sound asleep

Oh I see what you mean. Smart. My interface actually does sort of have 4 outputs. It's a behringer UMC404HD. Pretty decent budget interface. Suits my needs, anyway. But I'm not making hit records either lol.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:17 PM   #22
Tod

Quote:
Oh I see what you mean. Smart. My interface actually does sort of have 4 outputs. It's a behringer UMC404HD. Pretty decent budget interface. Suits my needs, anyway. But I'm not making hit records either lol.
Oh yeah, I just checked your behringer UMC404HD out and you've got the necessary ins and outs. You've also go 4 mic inputs, mine only has 2.