Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > JSFX and ReaScript Discussion

Old 03-30-2018, 02:04 AM   #1
metal_priest
Human being with feelings

Default REQ: change new recordered file names into the same project

Hello guys, I really can't figure out how to accomplish this need I have...and this would be a must for my workflow.
I already asked in other topics for ideas but nobody was been able to help me, so last try here

In this picture you can see an example of my standard kind of works, where I have a bunch of channels, different songs and markers (the regions are there only to make you better understand).

So what I have at the end it's a lot of files all with the same name but with the increasing number to diversify them:

You can understand that it's impossible to know to which song each file is related without open the project and see the markers...that's why I need a fast way to set the new recordered file name according to the song I'm starting to record.

Right now my settings for filename are:

I know there are scripts to modify the name of source files AFTER the recording has been made but it's a manual operation (which is time-consuming, not foolproof and easy to mess up with if you have a lot of different names to set).

In my mind it should be something like a new wildcard or a symbol in the generic filename settings with a script to just replace that pattern for all the new files that I can modify on the fly simply hitting a button and write the new name.
I don't care if it actually makes this change BEFORE the recording (even if it should be the best) but I need it's automatic so when I stop the recording all the new files are ready with the new name - foolproof, no time-consuming and no risk to make mess.

This is a mockup to show you what I mean:

somebody with better skills on scripting might help me?
No problem to make a donation for this as it will be really usefull for me (actually, I think it should be usefull for a lot of people and it sould be native but this is another topic lol)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:39 AM   #2
metal_priest

is this actually impossible to be made?
Old 04-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #3
mespotine

You can alter the name of the track before recording the next song, as that influences the name of the recorded-audiofile...

https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/reascript/...ackInfo_String

Code:
MediaTrack=reaper.GetTrack(0,0) -- the second 0 is for track 1, set it to 2 for track 2, 3 for track 3, etc.
retval, string stringNeedBig = reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(MediaTrack, "P_NAME", "your_new_trackname", true)
should be the function you need, to change the name of track 1 (hope I didn't include a bug there...can't debug it right now...)

You can use https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/reascript/...#GetUserInputs to get a input-message-box, where you can enter the new name and give it's parameter retvals_csv instead of "your_new_trackname" in the GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String-function...

Last edited by mespotine; 04-08-2018 at 06:20 AM.
mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
metal_priest

thanks mespotine!

I can't get this working but...as far as I understand, this will change the track name, so I should apply the script to all the tracks I have in the project, right?
I work usually with a large different number of tracks depending on the project...sometimes i have more than 40 mics...
That's why I was thinking a way to change the actual "predefined" filename form...and that's why I was thinking a sort of new wildcard to automate this.
anyway, thanks for your help
Old 04-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
mespotine

I could try to code it for you, if you could wait until in two weeks, when I have some time to do such things...
mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #6
metal_priest

I'm waiting for this since 2012 so I think I can wait some other weeks
thanks!