Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
jpringle1
Human being with feelings

Default ASIO4ALL high guitar latency

Ok, so i have ASIO4ALL set up normally, but even on lowest buffer and sample rate settings, the latency for my guitar is almost a second long. My keyboard however is practically perfect. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks
jpringle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
mschnell

The guitar needs to go in and out via ASIO, while the keyboard only passes ASIO once.

I suppose such problems are normal with ASIO4All.

Get a decent audio I/O box.
You might want to read the introductional thread in the "Live" subforum here.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-06-2018 at 10:18 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
drumphil

Depending on what on board sound you have, it is completely possible to get good low latency performance with asio4all.

Or are you using it with a usb audio interface?

Exactly what audio device are you using?
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Steviebone

Dump ASIO4ALL. Generic drivers never work as well as a device specific one.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
jpringle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
Depending on what on board sound you have, it is completely possible to get good low latency performance with asio4all.

Or are you using it with a usb audio interface?

Exactly what audio device are you using?
Im using it with an audio interface. I know it seems pointless to be using ASIO4ALL when i have a perfectly functional interface/external sound card, but i want to try and play my instruments while playing PC games, all while using Bluetooth headphones. Now obviously the sound quality/latency produced in this way is going to be far, far from anything you would use to actually record, but for the sake of tinkering while playing games without wires i don't care if the sound quality is borderline useless, or a bit of latency either, i just want it to the point where its playable.

So far i have managed to get nearly all of it functional, with the one problem of the guitar having high latency.

As i said, i know that the latency isn't going to compare to an actual sound card but it doesn't need to be perfect. SURELY there's a way to get guitar playing at a reasonable speed on ASIO4ALL? even without the Bluetooth headphones, keyboard, game running alongside it and all the extras. If i can just find a way to get decent guitar latency with ASIO4all on its own, i should be able to work the rest out myself.

(Note: i am using ASIO4ALL to take input from my interface and give output to my headphones)

Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #6
jinotsuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpringle1 View Post
i want to try and play my instruments while playing PC games
Thanks
Do you have more than 1 set of arms? Just curious, when I played PC Games back in the Quake/DOOM/UT days, it usually required the use of both my upper limbs and hands. Funnily enough I found guitar playing to have the same requirements.
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
JamesPeters

Here are two realistic options:

1) Get an interface which works the way you expect (and also has headphone output you can use the way you want), or

2) Monitor the guitar separately using any of a number of inexpensive amp simulators, so you're not relying on monitoring the guitar through Reaper. You can split the signal from the guitar (using a buffered splitter, ideally) so you're always recording a dry guitar signal (if you want to use amp sim plugins in Reaper) but also sending signal to "a POD" (or whatever) stritctly for zero-latency monitoring via hardware. Combine the sound of "the POD" and your computer's audio card output using a tiny inexpensive desktop mixer.

(edit) A third option: use a separate computer for Reaper than the one you use for gaming. Reaper can run on lots of computers, so if you have a laptop or older computer (not as powerful as your gaming PC) you don't have to use your gaming PC for Reaper during the composition stage. If it doesn't have enough CPU, bring the project over to your gaming computer later when you have time to focus on mixing it (the part which would require more plugins and more CPU).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 12-07-2018 at 04:49 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
jpringle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinotsuh View Post
Do you have more than 1 set of arms? Just curious, when I played PC Games back in the Quake/DOOM/UT days, it usually required the use of both my upper limbs and hands. Funnily enough I found guitar playing to have the same requirements.
Mainly just during loading screens, or for the numerous filler missions that only really require one hand to progress for 20 minutes. I dont often play shooters so i never have to be quick on any triggers.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
foxAsteria

ASIO4ALL is a last resort!!! Use it ONLY if you want problems or have no other option. Otherwise use the drivers made for your device. Spread the word.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #10
drumphil

Quote:
Im using it with an audio interface.
What interface?

Quote:
I know it seems pointless to be using ASIO4ALL when i have a perfectly functional interface/external sound card, but i want to try and play my instruments while playing PC games, all while using Bluetooth headphones.
Bluetooth headphones = high latency regardless of anything else, and trying to use a USB interface as an input while using another device as an output = trouble because there is no word clock link to keep them in sync.

Does your interface have it's own ASIO driver? If it is a cheapie that just used the class compliant USB audio driver built into windows, then you'll never get very low latency from it. It may have a direct monitor option that feeds the input directly back to the headphones without going in and out through reaper. This fixes latency, but means that you can only monitor a dry signal with no effects.

You might get latency low enough to be acceptable to you, but you won't know until you try without bluetooth headphones.

Quote:
Now obviously the sound quality/latency produced in this way is going to be far, far from anything you would use to actually record, but for the sake of tinkering while playing games without wires i don't care if the sound quality is borderline useless, or a bit of latency either, i just want it to the point where its playable.

So far i have managed to get nearly all of it functional, with the one problem of the guitar having high latency.

As i said, i know that the latency isn't going to compare to an actual sound card but it doesn't need to be perfect. SURELY there's a way to get guitar playing at a reasonable speed on ASIO4ALL? even without the Bluetooth headphones, keyboard, game running alongside it and all the extras. If i can just find a way to get decent guitar latency with ASIO4all on its own, i should be able to work the rest out myself.

(Note: i am using ASIO4ALL to take input from my interface and give output to my headphones)

Thanks
If you want low latency you'll have to abandon the idea of using bluetooth headphones.

So you'll be using wired headphones connected to your audio interface. You could just run everything through that setup, or switch back to your bluetooth headphones for gaming and youtubing.

Alternatively, if your audio interface has a built in mixer you could take a line out from the on board sound, feed it into the interface, and monitor with wired headphones connected to the interface, letting you use the on board sound and the audio interface at the same time with no clashes from reaper and games/youtube/whatever trying the access the one audio device at the same time. Or, if you have a stand alone analog mixer, you could feed the output of your audio interface and the on board sound into that, and then connect your wired headphones to the mixer.

It would seem to me that the simpler solution is just to use only your usb ausio interface for everything, and abandon the idea of laying guitar tracks down while listening to computer game sound. But what I explained above will let you do that if it really matters to you.

It would be helpful if you could be more specific about your desired workflow, and what equipment you actually have.

Last edited by drumphil; 12-07-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:40 AM   #11
mschnell

Quote:
i want to try and play my instruments while playing PC games, all while using Bluetooth headphones.
All this necessarily adds latency .
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
ASIO4ALL is a last resort!!! Use it ONLY if you want problems or have no other option. Otherwise use the drivers made for your device. Spread the word.
+9999999
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:32 AM   #13
ivansc

I love the way people act so surprised (on a lot of fora, not just here) when ASI4ALL lands them in the poo. Even when googling ASIO4ALL problems brings up a mountain of hits.

If you have a decent interface it should be able to handle everything you throw at it, although thinking in terms of games and howe many resources they suck up, this doesnt surprise me at all.
Use a practice amp or an acoustic if all you are doing is noodling to pass the seconds it takes to load a game screen
Old 12-09-2018, 04:05 AM   #14
vitalker

If you have Windows7+, then use WASAPI Exclusive. It works way better than ASIO4ALL.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:07 AM   #15
drumphil

If that was universally true, life would be much simpler.