Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
tusitala
Human being with feelings

Default copy / paste between tracks in score editor

hi, is it possible to copy and paste inside the notation editor, between different tracks/staves?

thanks!
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
tusitala

Default EDITABILITY question

and also, as a side question:

can anyone help me understand how "EDITABILITY" works and how can i prevent the Notation editor to constantly grey out some tracks?

here's what i mean:

thank you very much for your help
all the best
Old 11-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
hi, is it possible to copy and paste inside the notation editor, between different tracks/staves?
Yes. If you make sure the track you are pasting from is the active track (track title in blue, track appears with arrow icon in the MIDI editor track list), you can copy, then activate the destination track (click the track title, or the arrow icon) and paste.

The editability (unlocked) flag just means that the MIDI item is not locked and can be edited. If you want things to generally be editable, you can enable Contents/Options when using one MIDI editor per project/Selection is linked to editability.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #4
tusitala

thanks Schwa, what i don't understand is why i can't select all the tracks, flag them as "editable" (so not greyed out) and have them be like that and stay like that...?

what happens instead is that no matter which option i enable, tracks get "greyed out" when i click around...

i also didn't manage to understand how copy and paste works in the notation editor...sometimes i manage to paste where i want in the same track but i can't in another track and i don't understand how to tell Reaper where i want to paste

thanks for your help!
-t

PS: as you may have noticed i'm trying to understand how to apply a "score-centric" approach to using Reaper...being used and accustomed to working with notation programs i find some behaviours a little illogical or hard to get
Old 11-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Enable:
- Contents/One MIDI editor per project
- Contents/Behavior for open items in built-in MIDI editor/Open all MIDI in the project

Disable:
- Contents/Options when using one editor per project/all of the first three options

Reopen the MIDI editor and show the MIDI editor track list (Contents/Track list). If all items are not editable, select everything in the track list (control+A) and click the unlock icon to make everything editable. Then save the project. You don't need to click in the MIDI editor track list any more; you can just close the track list if you want. All of the above preferences should persist and you shouldn't need to repeat any of it ever again.

The track whose name appears in blue in the notation editor is the active track (also marked with an arrow in the MIDI editor track list). That will be the destination for any paste actions, or any keyboard actions that insert notes. If you copy or cut notes from anywhere in the editor, click the name of the track where you want to paste, and then you should be able to predictably paste the notes to that track.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

To be fair, it might make sense for us to always have every track that is displayed in the notation editor be editable always. Unlike in the piano roll, there is not much value from having tracks be uneditable (locked) by default.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
tusitala

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
To be fair, it might make sense for us to always have every track that is displayed in the notation editor be editable always. Unlike in the piano roll, there is not much value from having tracks be uneditable (locked) by default.
that's EXACTLY what i mean! like in a notation program :-)

let me try your previous suggestions and get back to you

thanks!
-m
Old 11-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #8
tusitala

Quote:
Enable:
- Contents/One MIDI editor per project
- Contents/Behavior for open items in built-in MIDI editor/Open all MIDI in the project

Disable:
- Contents/Options when using one editor per project/all of the first three options

Reopen the MIDI editor and show the MIDI editor track list (Contents/Track list). If all items are not editable, select everything in the track list (control+A) and click the unlock icon to make everything editable. Then save the project. You don't need to click in the MIDI editor track list any more; you can just close the track list if you want. All of the above preferences should persist and you shouldn't need to repeat any of it ever again.

The track whose name appears in blue in the notation editor is the active track (also marked with an arrow in the MIDI editor track list). That will be the destination for any paste actions, or any keyboard actions that insert notes. If you copy or cut notes from anywhere in the editor, click the name of the track where you want to paste, and then you should be able to predictably paste the notes to that track.

Hi Schwa, i'm sorry but unfortunately this doesn't work...i did everything you suggested but every time i click on a track name (so that it gets blue and i can paste there) some other tracks get "greyed out"...

and also, i was using the arrow keys up and down, to scroll through tracks automatically record arming them, so to be able to audition instruments...i let these commands pass through the midi editor but with the settings you suggested i only change instruments in the track list but not in the notation editor...

Last edited by tusitala; 11-29-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
that's EXACTLY what i mean! like in a notation program :-)
We'll add this feature for the next build.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
tusitala

unfortunately:

Old 11-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #11
schwa
Administrator

That feature (all tracks editable in notation view, always) should be available within 24 hours or so.

In the meantime, if you really want to get to the bottom of the previous behavior, could you post (or email to support at cockos) both your .RPP project file and your REAPER.ini file? Though honestly, unless you are on a deadline, it will be easiest just to wait for the new feature.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #12
tusitala

Quote:
We'll add this feature for the next build.

thanks Schwa...i also posted a feature request that's strictly connected to this...

I'm an expert notation programs user (Sibelius, Notion, Overture) and have been working on looking for a "score-centric" DAW that's simply not yet available at the moment (Logic can get close but with many drawbacks), so if i can help you guys at this with suggestions and beta testing, i would be more than happy to do so.
:-)
Old 11-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #13
tusitala

Quote:
That feature (all tracks editable in notation view, always) should be available within 24 hours or so.

In the meantime, if you really want to get to the bottom of the previous behavior, could you post (or email to support at cockos) both your .RPP project file and your REAPER.ini file? Though honestly, unless you are on a deadline, it will be easiest just to wait for the new feature.

thanks Schwa, no worries i'm not on a deadline...i would rather help you with suggestions and testing...

please take a look at this feature request i posted, always regarding the score editor:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=184238
Old 12-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #14
tusitala

Quote:

Hi! is this feature being implemented? i see it's not mentioned in the pre-release logs...

thanks!
-t
Old 12-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #15
schwa
Administrator

Yes, it was added in 5.30pre4 on November 30.

+ Notation editor: all visible tracks are editable by default [p=1763657]
Old 12-05-2016, 05:42 AM   #16
tusitala

sorry i missed that by just looking at the pre5 changelog

thanks!

i'll wait for the official release though...

any idea on when could we possibly expect the other "linking editors" features we discussed about? ...you said it could be on another point number release, but could we have an approximate expectation on when this could happen? i need to know if it makes sense to invest energies in learning to work with the score editor as it is now or wait a little.

thanks again!
kind regards!
-t
Old 12-05-2016, 05:58 AM   #17
schwa
Administrator

We really try not to give timelines for features because things change, sometimes it takes a lot longer than we expect (or never happens), but sometimes it happens a lot faster. Having said that, my best guess is that the linking feature will probably happen, but not within the next couple of months.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #18
tusitala

Thanks Schwa!

You're an amazing team! it's so nice to be able to interact with you guys!

Thanks again, a lot!

All the best!!!

-t