Old 09-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Tallisman
Human being with feelings

Default Problems Galore 2.5 beta

Grain of salt: I run a hack Leo4all 10.5.2

I am getting really poor performance with this latest beta, and many poofy crashes.

buffers at 128, FireFace 800
- A simple 17 track project consisting of 2 VSTis (olga and UVI workstation 1.0.9) and 4 other FX will not play. (the exact same Project flies without so much as a hint of breaking a sweat on the XP side of this box).

using the Key Command to open and close the Screensets window/dialogue causes this crash: https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/228248/...%2011am%5D.rtf
this macro:

and it's sister mapped to the up/down arrow keys (to select and enlarge next/previous track) does not work if the TCP has focus - which is 1/2 of the point. Here is a screen capture of that frustration: http://screencast.com/t/uPUayk7w

If the arrange window is not docked, it is Always on top making it impossible to use the finder (or anything else).

I understand that I am running a shady OSX but until this build only the always on top thing was an issue.

Perhaps a real mac cat could test and confirm these quirks.

greetings
.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
brice

there's a bug in the app menu when the mixer is undocked

click "Help" then go to "Actions" the menu disapears.
brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
semiquaver

up and down arrows in the action window are not working for me in RC1. This had previously been fixed.

+ I can confirm the crash invoking the "show window sets" shortcut

Tall: not sure what you mean by "arrange window is docked" but I'm not seeing any windows stuck on top here... cheers PPC 10.4.9
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Tallisman

I mean sent to the OSX docker as in minimized!

thanks for testing folks!

.t

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Old 09-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
Thehaxx

I'm getting a crash that is making the program nearly unusable for me. I've mentioned it twice before in the past three days. I can repost it in this thread if it's going to make it more likely to get solved.

It's really upsetting because other than this one crash the program works really well.
Thehaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Tallisman

Please post it!

Old 09-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
Thehaxx

Here goes...

-----
Sorry to bring this up late in the piece (i haven't had a chance to post a proper report on this crash yet) but i've managed to reproduce the hectic crash i reported in the 2.5RC1 thread.

Essentially it occurs occasionally and somewhat randomly upon loading session files. Either the first time i've booted the program or when i'm switching inbetween sessions. I'm pretty sure it has to do with me using an external soundcard, and reaper messing up when it tries to default back to the inbuilt one.

Either way here's the report my mac gave me. I'm not sure if it's going to help or not, but this crash is pretty drastic. It's rebooted my whole computer a few times.

------
Attached Files
File Type: txt maccrashreport2.txt (32.0 KB, 226 views)
Old 09-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Justin
Administrator

OK, fixing the bug relating to the screenset window.

I'll try to duplicate the bug where its trying to open non-existing audio devices.

T, can you try to re-explain your other issues?

Also, for the performance issues you are having, T, can you check to make sure it's not running reaper.app in rosetta?

-Justin
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brice View Post

hmm? not sure I can duplicate this...
Old 09-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #10
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
OK, fixing the bug relating to the screenset window.

I'll try to duplicate the bug where its trying to open non-existing audio devices.

T, can you try to re-explain your other issues?

Also, for the performance issues you are having, T, can you check to make sure it's not running reaper.app in rosetta?

-Justin
Justin, these two macros do not work if the TCP has focus here. If I click into the arrange area (or give an item focus) then they do. https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/64670/t...e.ReaperKeyMap

Updated on the performance thing: I am pretty sure it is related to the UVI workstation that is still a beta. I opened this porject back on the windows side, and I ma having the exact same performance issues. It seems UVI is a bit of a hog.

Now the arrange/TCP main window is always on top. Always. with he exception of oterh reaper windows (FX browser / midi editor, etc...). If I want to use the finder for audio files, post on the forum or chat on irc, I have to send the TCP/arrange window to the docker by pressing the minimize button. I thought I might have set something ins sys prefs to do this, but I can't find any setting that would put this one window on top so fiercely.

cheers
.t

Old 09-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
semiquaver

Tall - have you tried options>allways on top? Its working as expected for me.

Also not sure if my problem is related but I can't use the up and down arrows in the actions window in 2.5 beta either (they zoom the arrange window instead)
Old 09-21-2008, 02:30 AM   #12
Thehaxx

This might be a good time to mention that reaper crashed on me when i tried to draw some stuff in spectropaint with no waveforms or anything else going on in the session.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:17 AM   #13
Tranquil

Quote:

i had the same side effect and more weird things going on with reaper when i used to have winxp working for about ~200 days. i restarted my os and the side effects disapeared completely. maybe some windows libraries collapse if you are using it to an extended timeframe or it's a reaper disfunction that needs time to duplicate. who knows...

ps: i have come up with this problem only once (in jan 2008) - in general i consider reaper a rock solid app.
Tranquil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:53 AM   #14
brice

it should be easily reproduced, and not caused by long use of Reaper.

- Start reaper, empty project,
- undock the only the Mixer, so you have 2 windows (Reaper's main window and the Mixer)
- select the main reaper window
- if you click "File" you can go all the way to "Window" and BAM!!!!
- if you click "Help" going to either "Actions or "Window" will cause the bug.
(so the bug might be located in the "help" menu)

As long a the mixer is in the docker, whether the "docker" is attached or not to the main windows you won't get that issue.

it does it with every other windows too, big clock, virtual midi keyboard ... but as they share the same top menu you don't really notice. (though you can see that the main reaper window loses focus and the last selected (external) window regains focus.

If you still can't reproduce the bug, I'll make a video.

this bug might be related to Leopard when using "Spaces"
Old 09-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #15
Kainer

brice I can not duplicate that in tiger, so it has to be leopard or I´m getting something wrong.

if the mixer is undocked and the focus is main tcp I can chose "file" (it opens the menu) and move to the right through all menupoints (which opens successively the menus) to "windows" and even "44100Hz 2/2ch...." and back.

I´m on a macbook pro intel. reaper 2.5

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #16
Tranquil

Quote:
it should be easily reproduced, and not caused by long use of Reaper.

- Start reaper, empty project,
- undock the only the Mixer, so you have 2 windows (Reaper's main window and the Mixer)
- select the main reaper window
- if you click "File" you can go all the way to "Window" and BAM!!!!
- if you click "Help" going to either "Actions or "Window" will cause the bug.
(so the bug might be located in the "help" menu)

As long a the mixer is in the docker, whether the "docker" is attached or not to the main windows you won't get that issue.

it does it with every other windows too, big clock, virtual midi keyboard ... but as they share the same top menu you don't really notice. (though you can see that the main reaper window loses focus and the last selected (external) window regains focus.

If you still can't reproduce the bug, I'll make a video.

this bug might be related to Leopard when using "Spaces"
no luck with that! i tried your steps but i cannot reproduce it.
no need for a video at least for me since i have come up with such behaviour in the past and i know what you are talking about.

my personal view of what i experienced is that it might be a side effect of another app/lib rather than a reaper bug.
Tranquil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #17
brice

Tranquil: do you have leopard?
if so do you use Spaces?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
Justin
Administrator

OK, fixing the focus issues with those actions (and many others), fixing the crash issue in screensets. As for the help menu behavior, trying to find a workaround, but basically OSX is screwing us over, since we "raise" the level of any owned modeless window relative to the main window, it "decides" (incorrectly) that returning focus to a window should go to the higher ones. If you ask me, this is a bug in OS X... :/ but I know that doesn't help much. Perhaps we'll make the whole "raise modeless window" behavior optional.

I'm gonna see if I can get the crash behavior described when launching and missing hardware that was previously installed.. Did I miss anything else?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #19
semiquaver

yay Justin - well so long as your head is in the mac version I might as well re-list my remaining problems:

missing video support (I mean video items and window...) ,

gui problems with Plogue Bidule, Melodyne Plugin, Cheeze Machine and others,

timing issues with Melodyne when used on items,

crash on load with many AAS plugins.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
Thehaxx

Thanks so much for trying to fix these issues.

If there's any more information i can provide just let me know. I'm not sure if mac crash reports are actually handy for you or not?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #21
Thehaxx

I'm starting to think my crash may have to do more with a buffer issue. I've noticed that when my computer gets into 'reaper struggle crash mode' i can get the session file to play by choosing certain parts of my songs. I have a quite a few fx on my tracks, but they're all rea-plugs and dont feel like they're using much of my resources (im running a dual 2.4 with 4gb ram here).

I really hope this gets fixed because it's making the program virtually unusable
Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #22
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
Tall - have you tried options>allways on top? Its working as expected for me.
Fark I am a moron

Justin forgive my pilot error ID 10T
.t

Old 09-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #23
Ben Srokosz

Default Latency issues

Hey there.....I am having issues with latency on my first serious reaper recording venture.
Have 8 tracks recorded live from the floor, playing back and trying to do the vocals over top.....but woah theres a delay

Thought it was just my cheap hardware (m-audio fast track pro)
But I tested it out on Garageband, and Pro Tools Lite. Both have zero latency....(at least that I can hear).
So thats frustrating. Looks like I have to switch to garageband to finish my song and then just use reaper for the mixing.

Any one else having similar issues? Anyone else offer help? Theres no latency settings in reaper to make adjustments.
Ben Srokosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #24
semiquaver

to change the latency go to preferences>audio>Device>request block size.

Block size / sample rate = latency so for example a 256 byte block size @ 44.1 gives 256/44100=.058 or 58milliseconds.

Justin: you might want to label this 'latency' or some such so that folks can find it
Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #25
semiquaver

yay 251 fixes up and down arrows in the actions window over here...
Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #26
The Spark

Just thought Id throw it out there that Audio Damage's Reverence works fine as a Mac VST in Reaper, but the AU does not. When the AU is put on a track, the track is totally silenced, where the VST works as it should (reverby goodness). Maybe this is an Audio Damage issue, or perhaps its a Reaper issue, Im not sure. Either way I thought Id mention it.
The Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #27
Ben Srokosz

Default Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
to change the latency go to preferences>audio>Device>request block size.

Block size / sample rate = latency so for example a 256 byte block size @ 44.1 gives 256/44100=.058 or 58milliseconds.

Justin: you might want to label this 'latency' or some such so that folks can find it

Aaaaah thanks! Admittedly I'm still not a big guru of using my comp to record. I still use a Roland workstation and then dump to reaper for mixing. So these little names and details escape me.

Now I can close cheesy garageband.
Ben Srokosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #28
bennals

Just a quick word to say 2.51 pre 1 was rock solid last night with both audio and midi/VI work. Didn't do a whole lot but didn't have any crashes, not even on project load which was happening intermittently with these projects on the previous build.

Cheers.

Bill.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #29
mrelwood

Have had very solid working hours with 2.5. But somehow quite a few of my plugins got lost yesterday. I had a pack of MDSP vst plugins, that I happily used for a while yesterday. Now after removing Dynamic EQ demo and istalling iZotope Vinyl amongst a few manual installs, I no longer see the MDSP vst's, and I can't get for example the Fishfillets AU's to show.

I uninstalled Reaper 2.5 with Appdelete, and installed 2.51 pre1, still nothing.

You guys get Fishfillets AU to show? Tried both
/User/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components and
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/mai...em=2&subItem=5

I removed all Components and VST's, then put back the ones I used yesterday and still I can't get the plugins to show! Some of them do show but some of the ones I used yesterday don't.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #30
bennals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
Have had very solid working hours with 2.5. But somehow quite a few of my plugins got lost yesterday.
No, nothing like that, though I'm on an intel machine so I don't have fishfillets installed. You're not running them on your Macbook are you? Didn't think that was possible.

Did you rescan your plugin directories from the VST preferences section?

Bill.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #31
semiquaver

the Blockfish VST is one of those which won't show any gui - scans ok for what thats worth
Old 09-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #32
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennals View Post
No, nothing like that, though I'm on an intel machine so I don't have fishfillets installed. You're not running them on your Macbook are you? Didn't think that was possible.
I indeed am on an Intel MacBook. Fishfillets is an old package, so it might not be intel-compatible. Didn't come to think of that. But how about the MDSP's that I used two days ago?! There is an amazing m/s stereo tool that I would so have needed yesterday... Mid panner was beautiful.

I restarted Reaper, cleared the cache and rescanned the directory several times, and searched for new plugins in the Add plugins window.

Anyone willing to try the MDSP plugins? I'd love to know how they behave on others.

Vst:
http://www.smartelectronix.com/~mdsp...ols_macosx.sit

AU:
http://www.smartelectronix.com/~mdsp/plugins/mdspAU.tgz
Old 09-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #33
bennals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
I indeed am on an Intel MacBook. Fishfillets is an old package, so it might not be intel-compatible.
Fishfillets never went UB and never will apparently. Some sort of IP issue as the developer went on to work for some bigger company I think...or maybe sold the code to them, dunno.

Just had a 'Get Info' look at the MS MDSP plugins and they're specified as PowerPC as well so I'm very surprised you were able to use them the other day. I've always been under the impression that plugins coded exclusively for PowerPC wouldn't work in a host coded natively for the Intel platform. Could you be running Reaper under Rosetta or something?

I suspect there would be loads of other MS plugins out there though, even some free ones. Does the soundhack one meet your needs (link below)? What about the kanaka JS mid/side decoder built in to Reaper?

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/do...esound-bundle/

Hope that helps.

Bill.

Last edited by bennals; 09-26-2008 at 06:03 PM.
bennals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:07 AM   #34
mrelwood

Quote:
Just had a 'Get Info' look at the MS MDSP plugins and they're specified as PowerPC as well so I'm very surprised you were able to use them the other day.
Thanks Bill for your insight.

I'm starting to suspect everything already, even my own existence. What I know is I had a guiless plugin that had different M/S functions, such as "Mid pan" or "Mid position". I think it also had a S balance etc. Loser's JS StereoField seems to do pretty much everything the mystery one did, so I'll manage well with that and the Flux Stereo Tool.

I do have a big problem in general remembering plugin names and locations. There are so many great JS's. I wonder if I dare suggest that the Effects folder would be by default organized by plugin type (Dynamics, Stereo, Distortion, Delay, ...) instead of the designer. That's what I did now, but updating Reaper is even more of a hassle now.

Quote:
Could you be running Reaper under Rosetta or something?
I don't know how that could be possible without me knowing. I did update the VMWare Fusion just a while ago, but I was definitely not running Reaper in Windows.

The Soundhack was just an encoder/decoder. But the Loser's Stereofield works nicely for my use. I guess I just have to get my head straight. I think I tried a limiter plugin with a prosentual Saturation slider, but have no idea if that was a dream also... P
Old 09-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #35
mrelwood

Things got even stranger. I have lost my ReaEQ. Of all the plugins in the world. I never touched the folder that ReaEQ is located, and the vst.dylib file is in place, but it is no longer to be found in my FX list in Reaper.

Projects that have ReaEQ in them opened just fine, and the ReaEQ behaves normally. Clearing the cache and rescanning the plugins directory did not help.

Edit: Adding the REAPER/Plugins/FX directory to the VST paths solved the problem. Shouldn't the path have been there by default...?