Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #161
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Right now you're left with controlling the fader on the envelope control panel with the mouse.
I'm working on "regular" envelope access via volume fader but since none of that is in the original FaderPort code, it's taking me some time to figure it all out and do some tests. That and the fact that I'm very unfamiliar with the API so it's very slow going until I get over the initial WTF hump.

I'll be much closer once I get GetSelectedTrackEnvelope() implemented and working.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #162
luke.b.weld

Default Thanks

Interesting, thanks for the help. Still getting the hang of Reaper so didn't realize that wasn't possible. I work as a programmer in real life though so I'm going to start digging into the API pretty soon.

Still considering going with the FaderPort given the amount of great work you guys seem to be doing on it.
luke.b.weld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #163
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.b.weld View Post
Interesting, thanks for the help. Still getting the hang of Reaper so didn't realize that wasn't possible. I work as a programmer in real life though so I'm going to start digging into the API pretty soon.

Still considering going with the FaderPort given the amount of great work you guys seem to be doing on it.
Welcome fellow dev me too, well I'm rather mostly a debugger in WinDbg as of late but I still do a fair amount of "above of the compiler" stuff here and there. I already know I'm simply not declaring the functions I need properly because their addresses in the resulting assembly call instructions are bogus. I should have it worked out before too long but not before Christmas.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #164
alphasports

Thanks for all your effort Karbo...just got my FP today, followed the instructions here and got everything including the firmware patch installed, works like a champ.

Cheers
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #165
stinky634

Just wanted to say thanks. Got my faderport installed today, works great. I especially love the pan knob to scroll tracks. Now on to developing that muscle memory from years of mousing it.

I did have to delete the reaper_csurf file to get it working properly, took a while to find that fix, is it common enough to add to the OP?

Last edited by stinky634; 12-27-2013 at 10:29 AM.
stinky634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #166
Masr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigopigo View Post
Hey!

Just in case any of you have the "FP doesnt activate when choose track with mouse" problem, i read from another thread to uninstall reaper and delete appdata/roaming/reaper folder before reinstalling.

Instead i move the folder to my desktop. Opened reaper. Reaper rebuilt the folder. Them went folder by folder copying themes, templates, etc.

Now its working.
Wow, thanks so much for this info. I had exactelly the same problem. FP used to work properly, then suddenly I crashed Reaper during a new theme install and the left mouse click stopped working. Even reinstalling Reaper did not help. Finnally the new "AppData" folder solved the issue. Such a relief.
Masr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #167
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky634 View Post
I did have to delete the reaper_csurf file to get it working properly, took a while to find that fix, is it common enough to add to the OP?
I thought I had that step in the instructions and I didn't. I just added it and big thank you for pointing this out as I had completely forgotten about it not being there. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #168
alphasports

Karbo,
Just something I noticed the other day when I was messing with getting TouchOSC running on my iPad, which requires its own DLL in the same folder as yours: when this one is added to the plugins folder, I have to disable yours and reinstall the original Reaper csurf dll in order to see OSC as an available option in the Control Surface dropdown list in Reaper.

No biggie for me, was just playing with the Touch device for fun. Not sure what complication it would cause to have both devices active simultaneously?

Dumb question?!

Cheers
Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #169
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasports View Post
Karbo,
Just something I noticed the other day when I was messing with getting TouchOSC running on my iPad, which requires its own DLL in the same folder as yours: when this one is added to the plugins folder, I have to disable yours and reinstall the original Reaper csurf dll in order to see OSC as an available option in the Control Surface dropdown list in Reaper.

No biggie for me, was just playing with the Touch device for fun. Not sure what complication it would cause to have both devices active simultaneously?

Dumb question?!

Cheers
Sounds like I may need to update the SDK I'm building from. I'll check when I can and if that is the case, if so, I'll see if can get it updated. I'd prefer to make FPXT work without having to disable the native csurf.dll but I've fallen short on figuring out the best way to compile and keep that from occurring.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #170
A Bannister

Default Faderport footswitch solution

First time on forum. Genius solution. Thanks for your help.
A Bannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #171
alphasports

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Sounds like I may need to update the SDK I'm building from. I'll check when I can and if that is the case, if so, I'll see if can get it updated. I'd prefer to make FPXT work without having to disable the native csurf.dll but I've fallen short on figuring out the best way to compile and keep that from occurring.
Thanks...XT is the bomb as is, love it. I messed with OSC but I find it pretty confusing, I mean it's a nice -- if a bit unintuitive-for-the-sake-of-sexy -- interface, but basically useless for me since I have no use for remote control. I have my faderport right beside my mouse, and it rocks.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #172
worldoftwilights

just wanted to say thanks.. it's AWESOME!
worldoftwilights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #173
planetnine

Did you get anywhere with porting this to the Mac Karbo?

Could Tim or any other of the SWS guys help you with it?

I'm PC myself, but some of my clients are Mac, would be good to be able to set it up on their machines...

Thanks in advance

>
Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #174
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Did you get anywhere with porting this to the Mac Karbo?

Could Tim or any other of the SWS guys help you with it?

I'm PC myself, but some of my clients are Mac, would be good to be able to set it up on their machines...

Thanks in advance

>
I checked into it and I have no idea how to compile it for Mac without having a Mac. I know there is some breaking code in it, or I assume it's breaking... That's the routine that reads from INI files which I assume is platform specific but that just shows how much I'm in the dark on the cross-platform part of C++.

If anyone in the know has suggestions, I'll be happy to try.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #175
planetnine

Thanks Karbo.

Is there no functionality at all as standard with the Faderport for Mac, or is it limited and your DLL just gives extra functionality/ access to all controls/ programmability for it on PC?

I'm not sure of how it's supported natively, what your replacement code gives as extra (browsing on my BB, not easy to search, sorry).

>
Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #176
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Thanks Karbo.

Is there no functionality at all as standard with the Faderport for Mac, or is it limited and your DLL just gives extra functionality/ access to all controls/ programmability for it on PC?

I'm not sure of how it's supported natively, what your replacement code gives as extra (browsing on my BB, not easy to search, sorry).

>
I only modified existing code that was already in reaper_csurf.dll (from the original Reaper SDK) so that part I would assume would compile for Mac. "My Dll" from that perspective is only adding functionality to the original code that Justin wrote for Faderport. The only exception is code that we added to read the config settings from the faderport.ini file (that doesn't exist in the original Faderport code).

If I remember correctly there are #IF DEFINE statements in the code that are used to compile based on platform so I have to make two assumptions:

1. It has to be compiled on Mac or some tool/platform designed for that purpose in order to act on those conditional #DEFINEs.

2. My INI reading code is just the standard Windows API code for reading an INI file so I have to assume that won't magically compile/work on Mac. Obviously an INI file is just a text file but I don't know how to do the equivalent on Mac or adjust for it cross-platform.

I can ask around to some friends since one of them may know the answer.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-10-2014 at 05:04 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #177
serr

I downloaded the source from you, Karbo a while ago but haven't followed through. The Faderport of course works right out of the box in OSX. But the workaround you made for Windows also allowing it to be used as a MIDI controller vs. the 'one size fits all' control surface would be a welcome addition and make it a lot more user friendly.

My computer skills hover somewhere around "knows enough to be dangerous" and I just haven't really gotten my hands dirty compiling apps yet.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #178
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
But the workaround you made for Windows also allowing it to be used as a MIDI controller vs. the 'one size fits all' control surface would be a welcome addition and make it a lot more user friendly.
Other than the INI piece I mentioned, I actually think all the functionality I added would work fine. I just have zero resources for digging in to compiling for Mac and the INI piece is what allows you to decide which actions are fired by which features.

It's too much overhead/curve (I think) for something I'm going to do on one single coding project. If I were doing more stuff that was cross-plat it would be different but my plate of commitments/interests is too full to explore it properly. For a Mac developer familiar with C++ and compiling for that environment, I actually think it would be extremely easy but I'd really need to do that refactoring code tidying I've been putting off for ages.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #179
planetnine

Thanks Karbo, I didn't know what the score was with the default csurf.dll on the Mac. Fader and some buttons, I guess, but not the extended setup that your version gives on PC.

Sorry if my questions were ambiguous. I've not got a Mac to try stuff on either

>
Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #180
rickydiaz

Default Win XP 64bit presonus faderport?

Hi guys, does any one here is running fader port over win xp64 bit? i can´t find my faderport in reaper x64 over XP64, does any one have any advise? it works fine over win7 64bit, but not over xp64. cheers.
rickydiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #181
fredmatthew25

Default Got it!

I have had issues with my Faderport (4.62 version of Reaper). This thread solved the problem. Download the link in the first post, insert the file into the Reaper / Plugins folder. Also, deleted the csurf.dll file that comes with Reaper upgrades. So, I might have to go back in and delete that file with each upgrade, but will be worth it to continue working with Faderport. Thanks guys who posted here. You are all way over my head with the programming and looking forward to trying out some of the additional functionality you have all added.
fredmatthew25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #182
Totonno

Default hey

Hi guys, I'm new in the forum and happy Reaper user since a couple years... i'd like to know if someone has succesfully compiled the code/found some workaround to achieve the same results as this plugin for OSX? I searched deeply in this forum, and found nothing. I don't want to think about going back to windows after 10 years just to use this little but powerful dll...(and I'm really considering it) Thanks everyone!

Totonno
Totonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #183
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totonno View Post
Hi guys, I'm new in the forum and happy Reaper user since a couple years... i'd like to know if someone has succesfully compiled the code/found some workaround to achieve the same results as this plugin for OSX?
Unfortunately, not that I know of. I wonder, if I were to clean up the code all nice like if Justin would ever consider migrating these changes into the default csurf/faderport support. It's a longshot, but the code that others, then I added has been extremely stable for several years now. I don't think there has been a single crash to my knowledge since I first updated it in November of 2011 so we at least have a good track record.

However, I did hack some of the code in out of ignorance so it would likely require a full day of work to formally take what we have done and properly merge it assuming we had any chance whatsoever of it happening. I'm sure I added some code outside the Faderport C++ file before realizing how everything was structured and since it was mostly for me at the time, I worried less about coding it properly against the paradigm. It also isn't 100% user friendly (aka the ini file has to be edited directly).

I do think though that it vastly expands on the default support for Faderport and I personally couldn't live without it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-22-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #184
Totonno

Default wow

Thanks Karbo for taking time to reply, great to hear directly from you. You definitely did an AMAZING job for the community. Thank you.

Still, I think many Osx users are using the Faderport with the limited default functionality...so I totally agree with you, it would be AMAZING if Justin could add your code to the default Faderport support. It truly would be a GIANT improvement for a lot of people (including me).

What do you think we can do as a community to make this happen?

Cheers!

Totonno
Totonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #185
gappie

Default thanks

I bought a faderport just recently to use with reaper.. worked ok, but was expecting more.. then I found this thread, and now it works great.. thanks mister karbo.

this morning I did an upgrade for the firmware of the faderport, had not done that yet. the motorized fader stopped working after that. I had to roll back to and older firmware to get it working again.. this has nothing to do with reaper or the faderportxt . just wanted to tell for people having the same problem.

gab
gappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #186
Mace404

Karbo,

Saw you mention working on automation lanes controllable from the Faderport
I was wondering if you made any progress with the GetSelectedTrackEnvelope()

That would make this already awesome mod even better!
Mace404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #187
ST.

I've had to reinstall everything on my computer and downloaded the newest version of Reaper (4.75) and the newest driver for the Faderport XT (1.38) and this message keeps coming up in Reaper:

"The following MIDI inputs could not be opened: Faderport"

I've deleted the existing csurf.dll file this time too...

Can anyone help me fix this?

Thanks again for all your hard work Karbo!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #188
karbomusic

Hi ST..

Do you have it set up in MIDI devices or under "Control Surfaces"? It needs to be enabled in control surfaces (in preferences) and disabled in MIDI devices.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #189
ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Hi ST..

Do you have it set up in MIDI devices or under "Control Surfaces"? It needs to be enabled in control surfaces (in preferences) and disabled in MIDI devices.
"disabled in MIDI devices" is what I missed!

Thank you .
Old 11-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #190
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST. View Post
"disabled in MIDI devices" is what I missed!

Thank you .
Nice!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #191
JHughes
Banned

Hey karbo,

I have a Faderport under my tree. I can't google up anything about an "XT" version though. Help me, I'm confused.

<edit> NM I see it's the name of your custom SW. I guess I'm glad you didn't call it FaderReaPort, or something worse.
<edit> The readme's in the download need updating with the latest installation instructions, and to change the release status from Beta.

Last edited by JHughes; 12-17-2014 at 04:08 PM.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #192
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Hey karbo,

I have a Faderport under my tree. I can't google up anything about an "XT" version though. Help me, I'm confused.

<edit> NM I see it's the name of your custom SW. I guess I'm glad you didn't call it FaderReaPort, or something worse.
<edit> The readme's in the download need updating with the latest installation instructions, and to change the release status from Beta.
Good points will do. ��
Old 12-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #193
JHughes
Banned

Thanks man, I'm not nit-picking, I know you pay attention to detail is all.

BTW, some important info I can't find is: How does Faderport work with Reaper OOTB? I notice Presonus doesn't mention Reaper compatibility, but there is HUI, but they say buttons don't work with HUI emulation.

Anyway the first post should start by telling how Faderport works stock, then readers like me will know why the XT version is an improvement.

And a Youtube video would be good too.

And it would be nice to have this enhanced functionality rolled into Reaper.

What does it take to qualify as having "native support" status for Faderport anyway?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #194
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks man, I'm not nit-picking, I know you pay attention to detail is all.

BTW, some important info I can't find is: How does Faderport work with Reaper OOTB? I notice Presonus doesn't mention Reaper compatibility, but there is HUI, but they say buttons don't work with HUI emulation.

Anyway the first post should start by telling how Faderport works stock, then readers like me will know why the XT version is an improvement.

And a Youtube video would be good too.

And it would be nice to have this enhanced functionality rolled into Reaper.

What does it take to qualify as having "native support" status for Faderport anyway?
At rehearsal more later... Very basic support is fine out of the box thus xt stands for extended
Old 12-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #195
karbomusic

Quote:
The first step would be for me to clean up my code. It was the classic proof of concept that turned into the final product. Most programmers know what I mean by that I'm sure. It isn't that bad, it just needs some refactoring and organization.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #196
JHughes
Banned

My Faderport is unwrapped. I had some time today to start digging in, testing with Windows 7 x64, 32 bit Reaper 4.76. I have an MBox2, no MIDI device is assigned.

Some buttons weren't working, so I installed a portable version too to compare, and promptly found something else.

OUTPUT works properly on the installed version. But on the portable version, the light comes on when the Master track is selected, regardless of state. The light stays off with any other track selected, regardless of state.

If I open a portable Reaper and then close it without doing anything, the Stop light goes out, the Output light stays on. If I close installed Reaper while the Output light is on, it stays on.

Last edited by JHughes; 12-29-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #197
karbomusic

Quote:
My Faderport is unwrapped. I had some time today to start digging in, testing with Windows 7 x64, 32 bit Reaper 4.76. I have an MBox2, no MIDI device is assigned.

Some buttons weren't working, so I installed a portable version too to compare, and promptly found something else.

OUTPUT works properly on the installed version. But on the portable version, the light comes on when the Master track is selected, regardless of state. The light stays off with any other track selected, regardless of state.

If I open a portable Reaper and then close it without doing anything, the Stop light goes out, the Output light stays on. If I close installed Reaper while the Output light is on, it stays on.
Can you check you have the very latest bits? I would assume so since I think the stash version is up-to-date.

I thought I fixed the light already and don't have a repro here, I run code to specifically loop through and turn off all lights when Reaper closes.

You might also post your settings in the reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini file.

And I assume you have it loaded as a control surface not a midi device as per what you said above and that control surface is listed as FaderportXT... and...

deleted the deleted reaper_csurf.dll which is required.

FYI, I pretty much only use the portable version and there should really be zero difference.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-29-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #198
JHughes
Banned

Yes, I have the latest from the stash. My ini file is stock. I've deleted csurf and etc.

I'll try a different USB port although I don't think the one it's on is being shared.

There's more weirdness I haven't reported either. In the installed version the Mix and Trns windows don't toggle. I can't get Punch to work correctly in either version, that could be user error.

What does work is still helping me a lot though so thanks greatly for that.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #199
JHughes
Banned

Installed version:

Launch Reaper to blank project. Don't click on anything.
Stop button lights up.
Hit output button, it lights up.
Close Reaper. Stop button goes off, Output button stays lit.
Launch Reaper again, Output button goes off, Stop button lights. It does seem to at least initialize consistently.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:00 AM   #200
karbomusic

Since I don't know of anyone really seeing much of what you are seeing (that I know of) and I can't seem to repro any of it...

Using the INI, assign an action to a button to ensure it is using FPXT because it almost sounds like it isn't. Otherwise, I'm in the middle of moving and will be a week or three before I can look at anything.

When I can, I'll grab my DLL from my Reaper directory and you can try that since I can't repro.