Old 06-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
TonyL
Human being with feelings

Default VB-303 struggling

I see that some Reaper users have this TB303 emulation and it has good reports on the sound although it's quirky to use.

They ain't kidding I've struggled for hours and eventually got some sounds from it but there's one problem that's a show stopper. Using Host sync mode the ch16 MIDI trigger works fine for running/stopping the sequencer except it always reverts to pattern number 1 when I click on Reaper play or jump to project start.

There is a sort of kludge. Routing ch1 MIDI from another track to the VB-303 track and sending a short starting note corresponding to a pattern number resets the sequencer from number 1 to the required pattern. I think VB-303 is seeing a Reaper start Play condition as a reset to pattern 1 but using a MIDI blocking fx before it to filter out everything except the ch16 sequencer trigger doesn't work, in any case this would prevent required pattern changes from working.

Something I'm missing or a 'feature' ?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by TonyL; 06-12-2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Spilling error
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Ianuarius

Could it be that the ch16 MIDI trigger is already routed by default to do the "problem" behavior? I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking, but could you maybe try running the thing with just the default behavior and see how it acts... you know, as a debugging step.
Ianuarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
TonyL

Thanks Ianuarius. I decided that life was too short to spend hours tweaking temperamental plugins despite this one allegedly being an almost perfect 303 emulation..hmm perhaps that's the problem.

Anyway, I found Muon Tau gave me the 'squelchy' sound I was after, maybe not 'perfection' but I'm happy with it. Thanks again.
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
Reason

I did the same thing after trying for hours to get VB303 programmed and working the way I wanted. I ended up using TAL's SH-101 free emulator. It's a shame because Venom sounds really good to my ears, but making music with it is beyond me.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
alanofoz

Heh! Here in Oz "VB 303" sounds like beer & bullets...

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote