Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-28-2019, 03:38 AM   #1
monty
Human being with feelings

Default System freezes with arch & manjaro

If I boot the system I can use reaper without any problems, I have done a rescan of all the VSTs and the midi and audio ports are set correctly ...
but when I close reaper and then restart reaper again, it freezes the entire system ... this problem occurs with Arch Linux KDE and Manjaro KDE.
It seems arch or manjaro is still blocking the midi or audio devices even though Reaper has quit.
Everything else of the system is perfectly set-up and there are no other error messages.

LC_NUMERIC is set correctly and my IRQs for audio, midi & controlsurface are clean (other usb devices from these IRQs are unbind)
Code:
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
error message:
Code:
kernel: usb 2-5: timeout: still 12 active urbs on EP #82
kernel: usb 2-5: timeout: still 4 active urbs on EP #81
kernel: usb 2-5: timeout: still 12 active urbs on EP #1
kernel: usb 2-5: cannot submit urb 0, error -16: unknown error
in use:
linux52-rt
linux52-rt-headers
linux52-rt-nvidia-440xx
nvidia-440xx-utils
jack2 with cadence
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII

Last edited by monty; 11-28-2019 at 04:11 AM.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
monty

I guess the freezing was caused by an incorrect multiprocessing CPU FX setting on 8 CPUs ;-)
I have copied the complete reaper config folder from my lowlateny to real time system ... in KDE Neon (lowlatency) this setting did not cause any crashes, but it was still an incorrect settin ... now it seems to work w/ the reaper restart actions ... the rstart is just a little slower compared to Neon, may some other buffer settings need some optimization.
Code:
Allow live multiprocessing on: 8 CPUs
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
Old 11-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
monty

unfortunately the problem continues w/ sporadically freezes ... maybe something wrong with the rt-kernel management for my midi & audio devices. KDE Neon always ran very stable without all these problems and I can not see a difference in the system performance ... so I think KDE Neon will be reinstalled soon.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:59 AM   #4
4duhwinnn

If you have 8 cpu, try setting live-multi at 6 or 7, in case some
mission-critical OS function can't wait for reaper to back off.

Also, does reaper distinguish between a cpu and a thread?
My chip has four cpu, and 8 threads, so I set live-multi
to use 3 cpu

...if I'm wrong, someone who knows, please give a shout!
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:12 AM   #5
monty

Yesterday I re-installed the RT kernel & RT header and this morning I was able to work through for about 2 hours.
After a restart of reaper I got my first blackscreen - like a power failure ... my hardware switched off during operation.
I guess the RT kernel is dangerously faulty and may cause damage to the hardware.
So I just partitioned the Arch SSD and re-installed KDE Neon.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:49 AM   #6
cyrano

Just out of curiosity, Monty, which motherboard is in that machine?

I doubt if it would really damage hardware, but there's a first for everything. It would royally screw your disk eventually. I have been running Manjaro for a while, on an old Dell laptop. The battery is dead, so you can imagine that one day, I pulled the mains plug...

No damage to the system after three "tests". Seems pretty solid.

Could the RT kernel be so much worse?
Old 11-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #7
monty

Code:
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: MSI
        Product Name: 760GM-P23(FX) (MS-7641)    
        Version: 3.0
8 core CPU: AMD FX-8350 (8 x 4000MHz)
Ram 16GB
GT 630 (nvidia-440)
3 monitors (2x 22", 1x 15")

Last edited by monty; 11-29-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
Yesterday I re-installed the RT kernel & RT header and this morning I was able to work through for about 2 hours.
After a restart of reaper I got my first blackscreen - like a power failure ... my hardware switched off during operation.
I guess the RT kernel is dangerously faulty and may cause damage to the hardware.
So I just partitioned the Arch SSD and re-installed KDE Neon.
Curious why you restarted reaper, instead of just creating a new project?
Because I've noticed tha latest reaper in windows leaves a running process
immune to task-manager sometimes, after some buggy program crashes, maybe the same is happening in the linux version.

Also, is cmos battery strong? Is the computer power supply
close to being maxed out?
Is the house power circuit your cpu is on, shared by things that cycle on/off, like fridge compressors, AC, water heater, electric heater, and are
the monitors on the same circuit as the cpu, with power perhaps
distibuted unevenly at times with different brands/models at hand?.
And then the OS power management settings might need shuffling
to accomodate all your gear, but I think it's a power shortage,
from a 'coincidence', and the system protected itself. I would doubt
the kernel is faulty, but would lower the number of CPU's that
reaper uses, since you have a powerful computer. Over many years,
an under-spec power supply, and elderly cmos battery caused
the majority of my 'software' troubles.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:20 PM   #9
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Curious why you restarted reaper, instead of just creating a new project?
Because I've noticed tha latest reaper in windows leaves a running process
immune to task-manager sometimes, after some buggy program crashes, maybe the same is happening in the linux version.

Also, is cmos battery strong? Is the computer power supply
close to being maxed out?
Is the house power circuit your cpu is on, shared by things that cycle on/off, like fridge compressors, AC, water heater, electric heater, and are
the monitors on the same circuit as the cpu, with power perhaps
distibuted unevenly at times with different brands/models at hand?.
And then the OS power management settings might need shuffling
to accomodate all your gear, but I think it's a power shortage,
from a 'coincidence', and the system protected itself. I would doubt
the kernel is faulty, but would lower the number of CPU's that
reaper uses, since you have a powerful computer. Over many years,
an under-spec power supply, and elderly cmos battery caused
the majority of my 'software' troubles.
Cheers
Yep, cmos battery is doing well ... maybe the rt-kernel do not support my 8core cpu or the 3 monitor devices ... sometimes a few splash screens where placed in center off the screen crossing (overlaps). I tried also with an empty reaper config (deleted .config/REAPER folder) still freezes ... it works well w/ any debian based distro also w/ debian rt-kernel (5.x from testing).

Last edited by monty; 11-29-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:10 AM   #10
cyrano

I googled a bit for that particular mobo. Found two people with the exact same problem. Running Windows.I'm afraid it could be a hardware problem raising it's ugly head...

Both of these tried replacing the PSU, as one voltage was very low (12V). But that didn't resolve the problem.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:09 AM   #11
monty

thank you guys!
Neon with lowlatency kernel is ok, I do not notice any big difference to the Arch RT kernel. Neon also seems to produce less CPU load in performance mode and it works very stable & fast. The only reason moving to Arch was that I thought the RT kernel has less latency, but like I said there is no big difference compared to the lowlatency Kernel. The Arch RT kernel also had a significantly higher DSP load than Neon.
I'll stay with neon now, the "KXstudio" sources have also been updated now and everything works great without much effort.

Last edited by monty; 11-30-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
monty

it seems Arch makes a little addictive once you've used it ;-)
I guess I missed to install thermald ... could this be the reason for the crashes?
Old 12-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #13
monty

sorry guys, my mistake ... the crash was not caused due to the arch rt-kernel because I missed installing thermald and my bios triggered the blackscreen (power failure) to avoid overheating. I'm currently testing arch with a dual boot system (arch /neon) and keep neon as a backup system for a while.