Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Sower
Human being with feelings

Default Should I go Linux?

Hi. I have set up a new windows 8 install. Unlike the others I don't hate the interface, but I'm getting quite annoyed by recurring bugs. I have done almost 10 restorations from image files in the past week, which I have learned to make frequently. I'm longing to go back to linux, which I left 3 years ago when dwelling in to DAW stuff. Now is it even more hassle to get Reaper working in linux? I want my Native instruments VST's and RME babyface to work also. What experiences do you have? I'm not looking more troubleshooting that I have now, just stability I'm used to with linux - I left only for the support for commercial stuff being poor at least in 2010.
Sower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
CrankyChris

I've sworn off windows 3 or 4 times. And every time I get Linux installed, there's some driver I need that's not supported...so I can't print...etc. God only knows what the support is like for audio interfaces.

Maybe it's better now, but I always ran into this type of problem
CrankyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
EpicSounds

I think you're in for a bad time...
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Boray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sower View Post
I have done almost 10 restorations from image files in the past week,
What!? That can't be normal. Maybe a hardware problem somewhere. The hard drive maybe? Start up and enter the BIOS settings. You should be able to run hardware diagnostics tests from there. Start with testing the hard drive.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Snap

RME is the best supported vendor in Linux. The Multi, Digi and Firefaces and the whole Digi/HDSP range are all supported, But AFAIK, not the Babyface.

On other hand, Reaper works fine on Linux over Wine and there are some other hosts for Win VST plugs. But I don't have experience with VSTi on Linux hosts. I hardly ever use any even in Win or Mac.

Last edited by Snap; 01-26-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
richie43

I am a huge linux fan. Almost all of my non-audio computing is done on some flavor (ever-changing flavor like a gobstopper!) of linux, but I struggled with audio and linux enough and have learned to love my Windows/Reaper DAW. Reaper does not "work fine" under wine, that is wishful thinking. If you want to be idealistic and spend a huge amount of time resolving dependencies, configuring (many many repetitious times) Jack (qjackctl), hhave your fun. If you want to be productive and make music, accept that linux, as awesome and powerful as it is, is NOT ready for stable pro-audio work. And if you are needing to restore from images so soon and often, you have problems bigger than Windows can cause. I have had a rock-solid Windows 7 then updated to 8 DAW for almost 3 years now. No problems. You are having some kind of compatibility problem, I bet.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
On other hand, Reaper works fine on Linux over Wine ....
I have never had this experience. Slow, sluggish and unstable performance with Reaper and wine. Are you speaking from experience or from something you read (maybe in a linux blog...lol)
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
pitpat

I have to agree with what Richie43 says. I have used reaper on linux before as well, for almost a year. It is 'usable' only when the project is extremely light... i.e. uses around 30% CPU or less.

Once the project starts getting CPU Heavy, the GUI and responsiveness of the software goes southwards very much. Once this happens, its irritating to work with rather than a joy.

The whole experience of a new OS, getting a windows software to run on it, etc. is fun. But that excitement wears out once you realize, you are accomplishing less work than a windows machine.
pitpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Snap

I guess you are right, guys. I don't run big projects. Usually no more than 24 tracks. Commonly less. 16 or thereabouts. Hardly ever any Midi stuff. Just live recordings of bands playing at once. I haven't had problems yet. But honestly, I resist to drop Win off for audio. But win it's not the panacea either. It breaks my nerves. Wish one day Linux gets ready for full flegged pro audio.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 AM   #10
Snap

Quote:
It is 'usable' only when the project is extremely light... i.e. uses around 30% CPU or less.
Never bothered to check that. So I run my last session to see how much CPU load it takes. 22 tracks, busses and folders and plenty of plugins including 3 different IR rooms and reverbs in Reaverb. I guess that's "extremely" light weight for the current trends. I'm in the last KXstudio. Reaper at idle eats up 20 some % of CPU over Wine with the WineASIO driver linked to Jack. With the session running it jumps to 60 some %. But it runs smooth and without any hickups or slow graphics. I have to say this PC is nothing special. A simple and modest dual Celeron with 4 GB RAM. My HP workstation (4 Xeon cores and 16 GB RAM) just recently died. But even this way I don't notice any performance difference compared with this very same session running on windows in my (now gone) HP machine. It works just right and good for me. I guess it all depends on how hard you need to push Reaper in Linux... or anything else.

Last edited by Snap; 01-27-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
KenC

I check out Linux just to see where it's got to every couple years.

Then when I want to do something incredibly advanced like remap a mouse button to back in my browser, and then need to read Linux support forums for a week, getting told helpful things like read the man page (That doesn't exist), or a link to a page regarding my question that's hasn't been valid for years since everything changes constantly, or install a ton of things that depends on other things, only to find the last dependency I need doesn't work anymore, (Perhaps I also need to recompile my whole OS to set some flag, which breaks the GFX shell and now I'm staring at a text interface next time I boot) and now a bunch of other things doesn't work anymore because they relied on the older versions that I just updated and...

I wait another couple years
Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #12
Cosmic

Go back to Win 7 if you've got any sense OP.

Best OS for audio I've ever used.On any platform.Super stable.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
I check out Linux just to see where it's got to every couple years.

Then when I want to do something incredibly advanced like remap a mouse button to back in my browser, and then need to read Linux support forums for a week, getting told helpful things like read the man page (That doesn't exist), or a link to a page regarding my question that's hasn't been valid for years since everything changes constantly, or install a ton of things that depends on other things, only to find the last dependency I need doesn't work anymore, (Perhaps I also need to recompile my whole OS to set some flag, which breaks the GFX shell and now I'm staring at a text interface next time I boot) and now a bunch of other things doesn't work anymore because they relied on the older versions that I just updated and...

I wait another couple years
Yes, this is normally true. I also go back and forth to Linux over and over again. I just tried it again along the last month. As I said above my Workstation MoBo went south. I had a hackintosh and Win duak boot there. Now I won't back for Mac OS. Just left it behind after 20 years or so and going to Linux for daily use for anything but audio. For audio it's still not the best route. Most audio software and audio dedicated distros are one man projects. This is limiting but also has some advantages. If you want to work with audio on Linux don't go the general route and better stick to dedicated audio distros like AV Linux or KXStudio. They're custom built, stable and not intended to be tweaked that much. Love it or pass by. AV Linux is superbly light, fast and stable. If you don't mess it up I will stay rock solid. Performance is outstanding. Now you'll have to like the native Linux audio apps. But that's a different story. Reaper works fine there too.

Though I'm fine with both AV Linux as a portable live USB stick OS to boot anywhere, and installed KXStudio. I still have to keep win for some tasks. Triple boot PC once again.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
G-Sun

I tried the linux-daw route a few years ago. Was so much trouble..
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
richie43

I love these linux audio threads. They pop up every month or so and are always very entertaining. According to a few of the linux forums I frequent, I am probably considered an mid-advanced linux guy; I have compiled my own kernel, set up a customized audio OS based on one of many "vanilla" linux distro (including a self compiled low latency kernel and a PAE patch back when I was still on a 32bit CPU...), and I still never got to the point where I could boot up my DAW, fire up my amps and preamps, and just make music. I was determined to rid myself of "Window$ and Crapple" (boo big business, rant rant, etc), but in the end, I really want to make music when I want to make music. I always advise people like the OP to buy a spare "linux box" so you have another computer that you can try the latest linux flavor every other day, when you want to, and make music on your stable DAW when you want to.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I love these linux audio threads. They pop up every month or so and are always very entertaining. According to a few of the linux forums I frequent, I am probably considered an mid-advanced linux guy; I have compiled my own kernel, set up a customized audio OS based on one of many "vanilla" linux distro (including a self compiled low latency kernel and a PAE patch back when I was still on a 32bit CPU...), and I still never got to the point where I could boot up my DAW, fire up my amps and preamps, and just make music. I was determined to rid myself of "Window$ and Crapple" (boo big business, rant rant, etc), but in the end, I really want to make music when I want to make music. I always advise people like the OP to buy a spare "linux box" so you have another computer that you can try the latest linux flavor every other day, when you want to, and make music on your stable DAW when you want to.
Yeah.

I am still enjoying playing around with various Linux distros myself. But for DAW work, I am finding it a no-go. Bummer... but it is what it is...

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Sower

Thanks. I see now my last night's desperate/wishfull thinking. There's no linux wonderland for audio. My image restores were not all from serious bugs, but the restore is so quick that I've learned to use it rather than troubleshoot - of course the problems tend to come back. Mainly had file explorer crash things, tried to generate dumps and the system went black. Update some drivers - system goes black. That sort of thing, a lot harder than with a win 7 clean install. I think it's really not a very compatible system right now.

I've tested HDD and RAM, they're fine but I still might go for a new HDD if these are signs of drive failure. I would have to get a win8 pro upgrade to get a right to downgrade to 7 (this is OEM 8). Thank you guys, you've given me heads up of linux pro audio. I'll try to make win 8 work, and I'll go for 7 if I have to. Last night I even considered Mac, geez... I'll have to pull myself together.
Sower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Yeah.

I am still enjoying playing around with various Linux distros myself.

D
Absolutely. I have a customized Linux Mint right now, it's what I call "vacation linux" or "lazy man linux". It's fun to have a linux distro that works out of the box, to see how far linux has come for the non-coding general public. My afraid-of-computer wife loves linux mint..... I know that I will get the itch to have a need for fixing dependencies or repair a broken kernel.... great fun when it's time for that. But audio time for me is not coding and fixing the OS time.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
CrankyChris

Quote:
Yeah.

I am still enjoying playing around with various Linux distros myself. But for DAW work, I am finding it a no-go. Bummer... but it is what it is...

D
I think this is an important point.

If you like fiddling around with configurations, linux is the way to go. If you just want it to work......hell no. I 'm a software engineer and the LAST thing I want to do is mess around with operating system crap. I have enough to worry about.
CrankyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #20
joelsampson

Another vote to "downgrade" to Windows 7.

I like Linux and use Ubuntu Studio on several older laptops and my wife's desktop. It's great for internet stuff and general business use with Libre Office. And GIMP is ok. It's nice to update all the software with a single click.

However -- Not so good for doing music production if you need something more than Audacity.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #21
robo

Get on the Reaper Linux dev squad and help make it happen!

They needs your helps peoples.
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #22
SiKo

Your need to restore so often doesn't sound to me something is wrong with the choice of OS. 7 or 8 (8 is faster!) shouldn't make a difference on the same system in terms of stability/compatibility.

Better check your hardware.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #23
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post

Absolutely. Wish I could help. but it's light years beyond my knowledge.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #24
Rome

Quote:
Yeah.

D
Hmm, more than 20 hours between the point when someone mentioned Linux and your mandatory negative comment. What took you so long?
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
richie43

Quote:

This is where I make enemies with the linux folks. I love linux and LOVE Reaper, but I will always maintain that I actually hope that they don't put energy into porting to linux. That would pull them away from the work that they already have to do. Besides, porting it to linux isn't enough, linux is just not ready enough with or without Reaper. For instance..... qjackctyl, vst support..... No thanks. I hope the Cockos devs stay on the course they are already on.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
Hmm, more than 20 hours between the point when someone mentioned Linux and your mandatory negative comment. What took you so long?
I don't see his comment as negative at all. It's just his opinion on the obvious.... It IS what it is.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #27
Jae.Thomas

a troll trolling a troll is still a troll
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
a troll trolling a troll is still a troll
Trollo lollo lo?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #29
Rome

Quote:
I don't see his comment as negative at all. It's just his opinion on the obvious.... It IS what it is.
Well, he is allowed to post the same shit over and over again and if I'm responding then I'm a troll. Well, then it may be.

But I know what you mean. Eg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
linux is terrible for your
needs methinks

windows 8 works pretty great!
is a joy to read, no trolling at all. This one fulfills all rules of a highly qualified comment. I know that I will fail gracefully if I try to write something similar useful but I'll try anyway:

"windows 8 is terrible for your needs methinks

linux works pretty great!"
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #30
Jae.Thomas

Is there anything left to say? I am agreeing with him. Linux sounds like a terrible route for him. Why bother? As far as windows 8, you left out the last part of the comment that maybe his HDD is going bad, hence his initial problems...

nice try.

no agreeing, no opining, Rome has spoken!~
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #31
serr

Why don't you just go to OSX? If you are not interested in turning over your current hardware for OEM Apple maybe you can make a hackintosh install work. Just a thought. Reaper in OSX is the most stable DAW in existence at the moment.

You know what though. If Apple (drunk with their consumer gadget sales) leaves the pro computer market I think we'll see Linux take over.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #32
robo

Quote:
This is where I make enemies with the linux folks. I love linux and LOVE Reaper, but I will always maintain that I actually hope that they don't put energy into porting to linux. That would pull them away from the work that they already have to do. Besides, porting it to linux isn't enough, linux is just not ready enough with or without Reaper. For instance..... qjackctyl, vst support..... No thanks. I hope the Cockos devs stay on the course they are already on.
I think Cockos is more than capable of managing their own timetables. The parts of code that need support are available to everyone who would like to contribute.

Further, Jack is pretty awesome once set up (even on windows) and there are many alternatives to the plain qjackctl app.

Not really sure exactly where your viewpoint rests on loving linux and reaper but not loving reaper on linux as a native app.
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #33
richie43

Quote:
I think Cockos is more than capable of managing their own timetables. The parts of code that need support are available to everyone who would like to contribute.

Further, Jack is pretty awesome once set up (even on windows) and there are many alternatives to the plain qjackctl app.

Not really sure exactly where your viewpoint rests on loving linux and reaper but not loving reaper on linux as a native app.
Yes they can manage their own timetables, that's actually my point. So we agree in an odd way. And the Cockos devs seem to like their current work-flow, timetable, and the small number of people it takes to do what they do. To bring in the extra people ("everyone who would like to contribute") does not seem to be in their plan, so I am merely supporting that. Jack can be awesome once it is set up, I agree. But I have never had it set up and have it stay set up the same way, for some reason. I did not try linux audio for a week and give up. I had a second DAW dedicated to linux for over a year. Luckily for me I had my stable and productive DAW to actually get anything done when I wasn't configuring (again), resolving dependencies, and sussing out new issues. So my view point really is that I love linux (for some things), I love Reaper, and do not care to pressure Cockos to make Reaper a native linux app. Don't you think if linux was really prepared for something like Reaper, and run it anywhere near as nicely as it does in Windows and Mac, that Ardour, for instance, would already be the Reaper of linux? Ardour has been around for a long time, and they actually have competent people developing it. But even as a NATIVE app, it is not as good and powerful as Reaper on it's platforms. And I will say it again....I want my VST's, thank you.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #34
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
Well, he is allowed to post the same shit over and over again and if I'm responding then I'm a troll. Well, then it may be.
If the "same shit" were not TRUE, I wouldn't post it now would I?

I appreciate that you are a Linux advocate and probably a hardcore user... some of us don't want to spend hours fiddling with JACK and command line BS. We just want stuff to work. Just last night, I spent about half of the little time I had to play with my music stuff trying to figure out WHY I had no sound and JACK kept reporting 48 Khz sample rate to Mixbus when it was set to 44.1 Khz in JACK configuration. It worked fine the evening before and I simply shutdown the system when I finished work. A restart the next day is all it took to BREAK IT?
Screw that... Windows has never done that to me.

Salute the Linux flag brother! I LIKE IT! For a LOT of things... but it drives me FREAKIN' NUTS concerning audio.

D

PS I wouldn't mind seeing a native Linux Reaper... someday. Somebody is going to have to fix the audio system in Linux first. It works... it doesn't... it works... it doesn't... WHY? Fix that and you have something.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #35
richie43

Quote:
If the "same shit" were not TRUE, I wouldn't post it now would I?

I appreciate that you are a Linux advocate and probably a hardcore user... some of us don't want to spend hours fiddling with JACK and command line BS. We just want stuff to work. Just last night, I spent about half of the little time I had to play with my music stuff trying to figure out WHY I had no sound and JACK kept reporting 48 Khz sample rate to Mixbus when it was set to 44.1 Khz in JACK configuration. It worked fine the evening before and I simply shutdown the system when I finished work. A restart the next day is all it took to BREAK IT?
Screw that... Windows has never done that to me.

Salute the Linux flag brother! I LIKE IT! For a LOT of things... but it drives me FREAKIN' NUTS concerning audio.

D

PS I wouldn't mind seeing a native Linux Reaper... someday. Somebody is going to have to fix the audio system in Linux first. It works... it doesn't... it works... it doesn't... WHY? Fix that and you have something.
Read my last post, lol. Indeed, it works and then it doesn't and then......
I always say on these linux/Reaper threads that if the "linux flag" is you main focus, then good luck with that linux audio thing. If you want to make music and be productive, have a second desktop or laptop to do your linuxing with and have a non-linux DAW that works when you need it.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #36
Diogenes

Quote:
If you want to make music and be productive, have a second desktop or laptop to do your linuxing with and have a non-linux DAW that works when you need it.
Exactly what I have done. Keeping tabs on Linux with a two drive, dual boot setup on a current machine plus a full blown Linux only machine for "DAW work"... as in "when it works".

Main DAW is Win 7. Always works, never broken, same excellent performance day after day, month after month, year after year...

Like I said;

Quote:
Somebody is going to have to fix the audio system in Linux first. It works... it doesn't... it works... it doesn't... WHY? Fix that and you have something.
While you're at it... VST? VSTi's? Somebody? ANYBODY?? WINE doesn't count. That's bullshit. Period.

For all the Linux die-hards: LINUX RULES MAAAANNN!!!! (except for audio)

For the rest; Stick with Windows and OSX if you want painless usability. (Call me a troll... a dick-head... whatever you want. Truth is truth... but who wants to hear truth? Not very damn many.)

Good night and good luck... I'm hoping for you... (US!)

D
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
SeanTypedThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
RME is the best supported vendor in Linux. The Multi, Digi and Firefaces and the whole Digi/HDSP range are all supported, But AFAIK, not the Babyface.

Can't comment on anything else, but anyone with an RME Babyface might find this of interest:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16104

Basically it says that the Babyface now has a class compliant mode, this is mainly geared towards being able to work with ipads as an audio interface (really awesome, I'm sure, but not relevant to me), but it also means that it can now function with Linux.

However, one of the configuration files must be edited to allow it to work, a technical oversight with the USB instructions in the code that hadn't come up until now:

http://www.mail-archive.com/stable@v.../msg30123.html

Has a link to a stable patch, as well as instructions for manual editing.

Now if only people had better things to say about wine and reaper, I might give linux based production another shot...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #38
zardoz

No. You've been warned.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
Archimedes

I started in electrical engineering, and then software engineering, in the late 1970s. Grew up with this stuff. My favorite platform of all time is Digital Equipment's PDP 11 series running RSX-11M+. I loved that OS. Kernigan and Ritchie developed the C programming language as a method for quickly generating Macro-11 source code in the course of developing UNIX on PDP-11s. C and it's many variants (C++, C#, Java, many scripting languages, etc.) is the most widely used grammar on earth. I've used all versions of UNIX (from the BSD and AT&T origins, including SCO, to all modern incarnations).

What has this to do with your question? The answer is NO! UNIX (and all variations thereof) are extremely powerful and useful for a class of applications. If I were writing yet another shop floor control or process control, or embedded system, UNIX would be my go-to OS. But, for Reaper, and music production, or office applications, or entire other classes of applications, it would be extremely unwise to move from Windows or OSX to Unix. They really are optimized for different application spaces. There is no "one size fits all" operating system - yet.

I run a Dell XPS 435T dual quad core machine, Win8 64 bit, 24GB Ram, UAD Quad, Lynx AES16e system connected to an Inspiron via IP running single quad core, 16GB Ram, Win 8 64 Bit rig. I have a UA 4-710d for A/D, and Motu 2408MK3 for both A/D and D/A. It's a decent rig. There is absolutely NOTHING I can't do efficiently, smoothly, and professionally with this gear. I would never consider going to any unix variant. Not because I have a thing against Unix, or am particularly fond of Windows. But because I understand the different design and implementation philosophies behind them both and know that audio product and Windows (or Mac OS) are better suited to that type of application. Why fix what isn't broken.

Last edited by Archimedes; 01-30-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #40
hopi

ever heard the phrase, "Ah, go Linux yerself"...? :