Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
talustalus
Human being with feelings

Default In 2019, are 3rd party VST files cross-compatible between Mac & PC?

In a 2012 post on here, people mentioned that VST files are different for mac and for Windows.

Is there any change to this 7 years later?

Will VST plugins work on both mac and Windows, or do they have their own dedicated VST formats?

Thanks

Last edited by talustalus; 09-08-2019 at 05:15 PM.
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
Xenakios

Still the same situation. It's not a question of the plugin standard itself but about the differences between binary executables between the operating systems. VST plugins are basically the same thing as stand alone executables. You can't run a Windows application on macOs or a macOs application on Windows. (And before anyone starts nitpicking, I mean run them directly, not through something like Wine.)
Old 09-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
talustalus

Thank you.

Uggh, switching from mac to Windows will take some work.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
Thank you.

Uggh, switching from mac to Windows will take some work.
Which serious plugin developer is still making only Windows versions of their plugins? I am not saying this to defend the macOs platform, I pretty much despise it, but it shouldn't be a huge problem for a developer to do builds for any platform these days.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
SmajjL

For porting for Linux, it is another story? and the Windows speaking devs must re-learn how to code or something?
It's not like they have software that can just translate/re'compile thinge automagicaly straght to Linux huh?
What is, the problem? the "time/money" thing again?
Would love to know (curious)

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
For porting for Linux, it is another story? and the Windows speaking devs must re-learn how to code or something?
It's not like they have software that can just translate/re'compile thinge automagicaly straght to Linux huh?
What is, the problem? the "time/money" thing again?
Would love to know (curious)
Linux shouldn't be a problem either (probably even easier to build for that these days than macOs, you can even run the Linux tools directly on Windows 10), but for the large developers it is of course about money. If developers add Linux builds, they are going to get a significant support burden for a very small user base. This is of course assuming the development was from the beginning done with some sensible code design that doesn't heavily use platform specific API calls and so on.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
SmajjL

Support burden, gotcha, thx
So the new released v1.0 of the NoName-software supporting all 3 will now go v1.01, would not all three have the same bugs in them?
Not that simple huh? .. wish it was

Old 09-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #8
Xenakios

Quote:
Support burden, gotcha, thx
So the new released v1.0 of the NoName-software supporting all 3 will now go v1.01, would not all three have the same bugs in them?
Not that simple huh?
It's never that simple. The problems could begin even from "the plugin just doesn't start on my Linux system" before any crashes or similar problems could even be seen. Those kinds of problems have been ironed out by many developers for Windows and macOs, but even on those systems they still occasionally happen and are a big pain to deal with.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
SmajjL

And if the company of Dev'ness have 100+ plug-ins in their arsenal? they must be really scared? (and we can just forget about it..)

If, the devs had started out on all three from start, would that help?
So they can go, OK, let's add support for the new plugins atleast?
Looks like KSystemlog sees alot, and if you see it, and users helps with the whine, it can be fixed, make it as easy as possible for the devs.
Hmm, what to do?.. use WINE? (you're gonna say yes to that aren't ya?)

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-08-2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: how hard can it be SchmajjL, to/too...don't wait up.. :)
Old 09-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #10
Xenakios

Quote:
Hmm, what to do?.. use WINE? (you're gonna say yes to that aren't ya?)
If you insist on running Linux as your OS but yet prefer using software done for Windows, that's your only option. Most of the "big" developers are never going to support native Linux. But I'd suggest just running Windows... Yeah yeah, Microsoft is evil and Windows is expensive, but it comes down to what kind of a hassle you are willing to live with...(Still running Windows 7 here on my desktop computer...Thinking hard about if I should buy Windows 10 or start the very painful transition to Linux...)
Old 09-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
serr

I'm still planning on moving to Linux as Apple crashes and burns. I wonder if some of the OSX plugins will simply port, being Unix native to begin with? (Is that laughter I hear in the distance?) Got to be less of a stretch than porting from Windows FWIW. I think I'd keep using OSX rather than consider Windows. So far the cracks in Apple have made me start trash talking but I haven't jumped shit just yet. Their new hardware is awful but they haven't broken OSX yet. (Will it be 10.15?)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
SmajjL

I insist!! + *echo!FX* and I have just in like two weeks of distro hopping and what have we, now landed as a new (happy noob penguin) and I have a W10H license and the more I read and hear about it, not even a SchmajjL can defend it anymore.. but I do "get it" just don't have to like it, got my >PC< back now I feel.

Depends how much locked-in you are with Windows stuff you really (reality) need and how much can be replaced, solve, does not have to be that! painful, it is not as painful as it used to be and the existense of WINE/Proton is maby drived by elite coders with "I am not alone with wanting a ->PC<-

Hope you make it and you are welcome to make it.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #13
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I wonder if some of the OSX plugins will simply port, being Unix native to begin with?
Apple's GUI and some other subsystems are completely proprietary and have nothing to do with Unix. So if a software was done by heavily relying on the Apple APIs, it's not going to be portable. Only command line programs and DSP code that doesn't use the Apple frameworks would be easily portable.

There have been attempts to implement Cocoa etc on Linux and Windows, but it's not really meaningful work to do (Cocoa is already being deprecated by Apple) and probably has never worked properly.

If the software was written with C++ with something like Juce, IPlug or Qt, it might be relatively easy to build for other platforms. But probably was already built for those, if the developer actually wanted to do that.

Last edited by Xenakios; 09-08-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #14
Xenakios

Quote:
does not have to be that! painful, it is not as painful as it used to be
I would need to replace my audio hardware to be able to work with Linux and that would cost more (something like 2-3 times more) than just buying a Windows 10 Pro license...I have also invested in iLok protected plugins that most likely can't be used at all in Linux. I could maybe sell those plugins, but it would not really be the ideal situation.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #15
SmajjL

Yeah well, I am pissed of enough and motivated like a champ hehe
The Total FX is a no go in class compliant mode, and I do miss the EQ of it (simply) so, I will pick up a mixerboard with an EQ on it and if that won't be enough, I pickup a graphic EQ also and I don't need the most expensive ones.
I'm doing it, going there and, I love it!
No problem'o (my case)

Sorry i'm late, Penguins!
--
Have not gone as far as swapping to Protonmail since i'm only a civilian, but.. hey, why not?

And not only about that stuff, I actually like and prefeer the Linux enviroment, that helps.
Just as i liked and prefeer good old Bill Gates/Windows, hope he has nothing to do with what is up today, still think my KDE enviroment is better than Windows7, speaking for myself, just the simple thing of beeing able to theme without hacks

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-08-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #16
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Which serious plugin developer is still making only Windows versions of their plugins? I am not saying this to defend the macOs platform, I pretty much despise it, but it shouldn't be a huge problem for a developer to do builds for any platform these days.
My motivation is about getting more processing power for less $$ than a mac.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #17
SmajjL

Maby just try dualbooting for a while and see how far you Can and are willing to go and to get the time preasure out of the equation.

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-08-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #18
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
My motivation is about getting more processing power for less $$ than a mac.
OK, in terms of plugin compatibility it shouldn't be a massive problem then. As far as I know, there are hardly any macOs-only VST plugins. AU plugins of course don't transfer over to Windows, as AU doesn't exist for Windows. Some VST plugins might have different data formats between macOs and Windows and it might not be possible to transfer projects directly between different operating systems. You should keep both systems operational while doing the transition. If a plugin won't load correctly with its setting on Windows, you could at least render the track on the macOs machine and transfer the audio into the Windows system.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #19
richie43

Quote:
But I'd suggest just running Windows... Yeah yeah, Microsoft is evil and Windows is expensive, but it comes down to what kind of a hassle you are willing to live with...
I love many flavors of linux and do most of my non-audio on some distro.... But I have tried to like linux for serious audio and always go back to Windows. I hate to admit it, and maybe I am "lucky"....
But I have almost never had a single issue with Windows. Windows 10 is the first Windows that actually runs best with zero "tweaks". I do HUGE projects on an older i7 and the ONLY issues I have are with buggy plugins. My computer stays on the internet and use only native WIndows Defender as my AV. The punk rock me wants to hate this...but it works amazingly for me.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #20
SmajjL

Actually, I never have any issues with Windows 10 either, it shows they have been around for a long time, everything works, absolutely..
That defender (if left with everything default to ON) even stopped/"warned" me about adding my Loopmasters samplepack.. no .exe in that what I know of, but Oki
You are better off not knowing what some people has to say because you might go all vegetarian or something after that.

I am trying to think, or tried to think.. this is just how all bussiness work (get over it) if I use a browser on any OS, i'm screwed etc etc, Windows know me since forever anyway, why care..
Good question..

And so many sites want permission for my newly baked cookies, so unfair.. just wanted to know a Linux command..

Ps, am I not off topic like, much?

--

And all the Windows 10 question if I want to allow this or that i'm OK with, because they are open about it, everything we know, so obviously they are Open about it and that, is good.. hmm
I need to learn meditation.. I'm ok, i'm ok...

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-08-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #21
talustalus

Quote:
OK, in terms of plugin compatibility it shouldn't be a massive problem then. As far as I know, there are hardly any macOs-only VST plugins. AU plugins of course don't transfer over to Windows, as AU doesn't exist for Windows. Some VST plugins might have different data formats between macOs and Windows and it might not be possible to transfer projects directly between different operating systems. You should keep both systems operational while doing the transition. If a plugin won't load correctly with its setting on Windows, you could at least render the track on the macOs machine and transfer the audio into the Windows system.
Ok, I thought mac vst was completely incompatible with Windows. It's encouraging that some will work.

I'll probably end up reinstalling the ones I use most.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #22
SmajjL

Quote:
But I'd suggest just running Windows...
Quote:
Thinking hard about if I should buy Windows 10 or start the very painful transition to Linux...)

Let me know what you decide, I need to spend time with my real hobby asap.. and stfu.. LoL

Nm.. takeing your blinking advice hint and I shall do the best I can with it
Nothing is perfect, not even me.. *meh*

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-09-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:58 AM   #23
SmajjL

and:
Even assuming you have the hardware and internet connection to enable 4K streaming, you have to use the right software. You can’t just head to Netflix’s website in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Netflix won’t stream in 4K with those browsers.
To stream Netflix in 4K on a PC, you have to use Windows 10—you don’t do this on Windows 7. You must use either use Netflix’s website in the Microsoft Edge browser or stream with the Netflix app from the Store.
Netflix doesn’t let you stream in 4K on a Mac, either. The only way to watch Netflix in a 4K on a Mac is by running Windows 10 in a virtual machine or via Boot Camp.

MS knows my buttons..

--

1001 arguments (with myself) later, Back to Windows10.. And now, RME Audio drivers is not safe? oki.. what evs.. *pft'h*
--
And then, tried to download an innocent JS script, BAM! https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...nder-antivirus in my face

Well, feel so safe now, thx

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-09-2019 at 03:15 AM.