Old 11-15-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
thesirkus
Human being with feelings

Default Quick question about copy and pasting

I have a question about copying and pasting in reaper. I can't copy a portion of a track and paste it anywhere it just copys the whole track and pastes it. I have tried everything people have talked about. Am I an idiot or what? I am running the latest version v1.36. Please help soon.

http://www.soundclick.com/thiniceandnge
thesirkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
turtlishous

i had a simular question just a day or two ago and this is what worked for me......splitting the track first then you can manipulate any way you please

heres the post if you haven'y already read it

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3610
turtlishous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Amether

Or selecting a region (use the loop region markers) then right click-"copy selected area of selected items".

This is a nicer way to do things as splitting makes automatic fades (by default) which will potentially sound like a hiccup.
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
turtlishous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amether View Post
Or selecting a region (use the loop region markers) then right click-"copy selected area of selected items".

This is a nicer way to do things as splitting makes automatic fades (by default) which will potentially sound like a hiccup.
yeah i was wondering about that, but i figured i would mess with it some more before i posted another question that i could possibly figure out if i fool around alittle more....

how do call up the region markers.....

p.s. sorry for the hyjack
turtlishous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
how do call up the region markers.....
A very good source of documentation for new users (apart from the manual and the videos and right-clicking on everything you can see) is the list of "actions" - program functions - many of which have been pre-assigned with keyboard shortcuts. And the rest you can assign yourself if you want.

This is how to find out what keys have been, and can be, assigned.

Go to

Preferences > Keyboard/Control > View Shortcuts as printable/searchable web page.

Then use your browser's "search" function to look for the function you want. In fact, it's a good idea to simply scan down the list and take a mental note of anything that looks like it will be handy in due course. Or even a written note!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:38 AM   #6
Gerry G

Default I dost support my Liege King Arthur

T'is best to engage a royal scribe to set out the shortcut list on parchment then a sturdy glue to hang it like a tapestry on thy castle wall.

Thenceforward, pray and refer to this parchment when in need of inspiration.

Thy manual is too a short epode and to reduce it to a parchment is a grand conceit.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
psingman

Yes, the op has asked a significant question. I, too, pray thee well, have had a difficult time copying and pasting. It doesn't do it where you want it. I mean, let's say you want to copy and paste a selected part, right after the part you took it from, sometimes it does it right after, sometimes in the next track. I did learn to bring the bloody cursor over and it seems to help a bit, but the proggie still makes up its own mind.

I know the developers, who are to be praised for a long year's work, don't think these things occur, but if they came to my house, sat in my basement studio and watched... they would go, oh yeah, hmmm, why did that do that. Still I love the program, like all others, it takes some time to grasp. You know, usually, it is just some simple little thing or button to press, that is taken for granted or not in manuals, but kind of like a given, if you are an engineer of enigmas. Haha, have to go, love the Bard's words, DR
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote