Old 12-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
357mag
Human being with feelings

Default Has anyone here tried this?

Was wondering if anyone has bought OS X and installed it on their PC. You can buy the operating system from Amazon for fairly cheap. I may try this in the future. But not now since there is no final OS X version of Reaper yet and there are three pieces of hardware that I would need to change in order to be compatible with OS X.
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
BaronStinky

OSX has a proprietary thingy. Preferred manufacturer... somethingorother. It's built right into the OS, so you can't just go ahead and install it on a PC. There are various hacks floating around that allow you to circumvent this nonsense, but it almost never works right out of the box. I've managed to get my home-built PC up and running with the iAtkos distro of osX86 (OSX for non-apple machines) but I could never get it to play nice with my video card. It takes a lot of time and effort, and it violates Apple's EULA.

Soooo, long story short don't just buy a copy of Leopard and expect it to work on your PC. It won't. If you're fairly savvy and fancy a challenge, do a google search for "osX86" and be born into a whole new world.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
357mag

Some chap told me that as long as you don't start building computers and redistributing them with OS X on it Apple doesn't really care. You can put it on your own PC without violating anything. But of course you won't get any support from Apple, and if you try to update the operating system it will probably crash.

And as long as you use OS X compatible hardware it should work.

But who knows...
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
BaronStinky

That may or may not be true legally, but technically: (from the osx86 wiki)

"The "Trusted Platform Module," or TPM, is a computer chip embedded inside Intel-based Macs to prevent the Intel-based version of Mac OS X from running on non-Apple hardware. (during installation of Mac OS X, Mac OS X interfaces with the TPM. If Mac OS X finds that the TPM doesn't exist, Mac OS X refuses to install or run.)"

You can certainly buy a copy of OSX and then download a hacked copy if you want to pay Apple for their code, but you'll still need to go through heck and back to get that stuff working. Not impossible, especially if you buy your hardware with this goal in mind. The various forums out there are a great resource on how to build a Hackintosh friendly machine.