Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
Some Idiot
Human being with feelings

Default Getting hardware inputs to appear? Tascam US-1800 to Mac OSX (10.9.5)

Hey there—first time poster, didn't want to reanimate an old thread that's got different parameters....

I am stuck on the very first thing after launching the application: getting my interface to work properly with Reaper.

I'm attempting to cross over to Reaper from PT10 using my Tascam US-1800, which was fussy sometimes on PT but mostly worked fine. I'm on a recent Mac, OSX 10.9.5, and on my first few attempts to fire up Reaper, with reinstalled drivers and attempts to configure, etc., I'm just not seeing hardware inputs line up with the new tracks I'm creating.

I *am* seeing reference to the 16 tracks in the hardware in one place, here: that's in the default settings for
Preferences / Track Send Defaults / Record Config.
In there, it allows me to choose Force Multichannel and pick a single track from those 16 as default. I don't really know if that's what I need to be doing, but, OK....

In any case, where in the Routing configuration do I correctly assign those 16 inputs to the 16 new tracks I'm making? I see parent channels in stereo pairs 1-2, 3-4; I see track channels in 2, 4, 8, etc; that's about all of it. I'm still looking for those mono inputs to assign ranging from 1-16 on my US-1800.

Long story short, I'm just not clearly seeing inputs 1-16 populate anywhere here yet. Your advice appreciated.

This is the first of many questions I'll probably have. Thanks in advance.
Some Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Some Idiot and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you get the excellent User Guide too:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

Slightly unclear here - have you enabled the Tascam inputs and outputs in Reaper's Preferences / Audio / Device? Can you post a screenshot of that window?

As for selecting an input device for a track - have a look at 3.5 in the User Guide.

Don't bother with those "Track Send Defaults / Record Config." at the moment
Old 09-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Some Idiot

Thanks for the fast response!
Screenshot *should be* attached.

I should also mention I'm running 64-bit, if that helps.

Yep, I've got the User Guide; do you mean sections 3.36-3.37 for Track Input? I don't see a 3.5. Maybe the version I grabbed yesterday is out of date?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 11.45.21 AM.jpg (59.5 KB, 320 views)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
DarkStar

Ah, you're on OSX of course,. On Windows, that window shows the input and output devices and lets you select them. What else is there in the drop-down for the "Audio Device" field?

As can be seen here: See post #3 to see how to describe your hardware set-up

User Guide - it's on page 57 here (well before you get to section 3.36)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Idiot View Post
Thanks for the fast response!
Screenshot *should be* attached.

I should also mention I'm running 64-bit, if that helps.

Yep, I've got the User Guide; do you mean sections 3.36-3.37 for Track Input? I don't see a 3.5. Maybe the version I grabbed yesterday is out of date?
You have the interface selected. That's step 1 of pointing Reaper to your connected hardware.

You should be able to right-click or ctrl-click on the red record arm button of a track and assign a mono input or stereo pair of inputs. Navigate to the mono or stereo menu (following the right-click) and you should see the selected interface's hardware inputs to select from.

If you've done that but have no signal on the inputs - try controlling the sample rate setting and block size setting from Reaper. Unchecking those boxes tells Reaper to let another app (or control panel app) control these device parameters. Entered values are ignored. Checking the boxes and entering the value tells Reaper to take control of this and use the entered values.

If you set Reaper to allow something else to control the interface and then don't follow through and control it from another app, it could be stuck in limbo.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Some Idiot

While typing this long setup detail response, which I've since deleted, and poking around at the User Manual and at Reaper, suddenly I seem to be able to assign those mono inputs, and it is recording sound.

I would like to mention, for posterity, although the user guide advises:
"Click the mouse over the Input settings for that track (below the pan fader - see right) to display a menu. The exact options on that menu will depend on which sound card and audio device(s) you have installed."

Perhaps the default size of the individual track control panels obscures those options; in any case, nothing was below the panning control except for the phase button.

I did, indeed, get to set those inputs by right-clicking the Record Arm button. Thank you both for your help!
Old 09-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
DarkStar

Good oh

Have a look at this:

Several users has reported some initial familiarisation problems with the v5 default theme.