Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 06-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Torniojaws
Human being with feelings

Default Cubase-style loop left/right locator placing

I was wondering if there could be an option for the user to change between two (or more) different locator placing methods. Personally, I find the current one a little bit twitchy and "uncertain". It is extremely easy to accidentally drag-click with the mouse and lose the loop area completely, or alternatively accidentally click on the edge of the loop and drag it, instead of dragging a track.

The Cubase method is very good, and it would be a nice choice to have. The way it works in Cubase is that you press either Ctrl + Alt and click on the timeline to place a left locator and Alt+click to place the right locator. That way you only place the locators when you want to do that - you cannot accidentally move/nudge/remove the loop locators, which happens very easily in Reaper.

I'm sure someone could add a third method that would be even better. It would be nice to have a choice in Preferences, so everyone could use the method they personally prefer
Torniojaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
brotherone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torniojaws View Post
I was wondering if there could be an option for the user to change between two (or more) different locator placing methods. Personally, I find the current one a little bit twitchy and "uncertain". It is extremely easy to accidentally drag-click with the mouse and lose the loop area completely, or alternatively accidentally click on the edge of the loop and drag it, instead of dragging a track.

The Cubase method is very good, and it would be a nice choice to have. The way it works in Cubase is that you press either Ctrl + Alt and click on the timeline to place a left locator and Alt+click to place the right locator. That way you only place the locators when you want to do that - you cannot accidentally move/nudge/remove the loop locators, which happens very easily in Reaper.

I'm sure someone could add a third method that would be even better. It would be nice to have a choice in Preferences, so everyone could use the method they personally prefer
Yes, the loop area is very sensitive to mouse movement in the project window.
I also would prefer a method like in Cubase.

Best regards
brotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
Blackrg

Default +100 on that one

+100

I love that the loop is fixed and immovable in cubase, a lot of people build up tunes in sections..and this helps

Last edited by Blackrg; 06-21-2007 at 05:13 AM. Reason: mispell
Blackrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Tallisman

This should be better now with 1.868 - it is for me (almost perfect) and i to hail from the Cubendo camp.

things that help:

1. map the lock feature (default key-bind: [alt]+[L]) to a single key near where your left hand sits on the keyboard. For me it is [B]. Prior to this latest update, my work flow incorporated automatic [B] strokes, and i never loose the loop selection.

now with the new update, loop selection is harder to grab by mistake.

2. in Cubendo, L&R clicks in the time-line ruler sets loop... In reaper I mapped the following macros:
[W] =
move edit cursor to mouse cursor (with snap)+
set loop start point.
[shift]+[W] =
move edit cursor to mouse cursor (with snap)+
set loop end point.

3. and this is still the fastest for me: with the loop lock disabled (see [b] map above) [ctrl]+[r-click & drag] sets a loop selection, even when dragging on items. Once you get used to this, Reaper's quirks become beloved (well, some of them do)

hope these help.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
jaimun

Default Set Locators L R

Thanks, I was getting crazy with such a simple question!
I mean, from Cubase 1.0 on the Atari I think L & R where used for this task, it is maybe the only shortcut that remains through version changes.
I post this reply so any Cubase user searching for Locators can find it with ease.
jaimun is offline   Reply With Quote