Old 10-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
Seldrums
Human being with feelings

Default Wireless Headphone monitoring solution

I know this may not be the best place to pose this question, but this forum is the one I've come to know the best and the one I read the most!

Not having used wireless headphones ever, I've searched online with limited results so I pose the question here.

Is there a viable wireless headphone studio monitoring solution available? In my estimation, I can only assume this would introduce latency and/or the interference would cause it to be not viable. Does anyone have any experience in this area or is this even possible? At the moment, I've got a single rack space 8 headphone unit which drives 8 pairs, so I've got that part of it covered. Just want to get rid of the extension cables. They don't last and need to be replaced every few months anyway. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Seldrums
Seldrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:15 AM   #2
uksnowy

Good question. I would also be interested in a wireless solution.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
mschnell

There are lots of in-ear stage monitor solutions and I suppose you theoretically can attach any headphone instead an in-ear bud to a good quality receiver device.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-18-2018 at 06:40 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

I bought a small FM transmitter and ten little radios sold as a "tour guide kit". If you can find a clear frequency in your area, it can work reasonably well. There's no noticeable latency (no more than headphones connected directly to interface) in mine. The base S/N ratio is not super awesome, and I get intermittent "static" depending on position, but it gets good enough reception for tracking all over the basement. They came with a bunch of crappy earbuds, but you can use any headphones or get slightly better in-ear types for not too expensive.

For what I do, and as long as clients have reasonable expectations, it is definitely worth it. Headphone extensions are always the flakiest of all cables for some reason.

Edit - Course this is just a single stereo mix for everybody. If you need more individual mixes, you need more transmitters, and more open frequencies.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 10-17-2018 at 06:13 PM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
jbraner

I use Sennheiser HD170 wireless headphones for tracking and monitoring when I need to keep the noise down (I live in a flat).
There is no latency, and the sound quality is fine (I reckon it's down to the headphone quality - not whether or not it's wireless).

I wouldn't use them for mixing, but I don't think I'd use any (wire or wireless) headphones for mixing. Well, none that I can afford anyway
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Seldrums

Thanks, guys. I'm going to explore these solutions.
Seldrums is offline   Reply With Quote