Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 12-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
run, megalodon
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper can't properly rewind/fast forward

My simple goal is this: to be able to rewind and fast forward and hear what I'm doing.

The "rewind/fast forward a little bit" actions skip instead of moving smoothly, and you can't hear what you're doing, so right now the only way to do this in Reaper that I'm aware of is to use the move cursor left/right actions. There are some problems with this though, due to the fact that this action is dependent on zoom level. First, I would like to choose the rate of fast forward and rewind or at least have a constant one instead of having it jump around every time I zoom in or out. Second, the playback when using these actions is limited to a certain speed but the cursor is not, so if you are zoomed out enough, the cursor will outrun the playback, and when the cursor stops moving the playback will continue until it catches up, as seen here: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/c6ji3hj3j

I created a thread about this before as a bug, but I suppose it isn't really, and I got no response there anyway, so here it is again. So does anyone else see a problem with this?

Last edited by run, megalodon; 12-14-2010 at 11:10 PM.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
tls11823

Have you tried to use scrubbing? I'm not sure whether that will give you what you're looking for, but it may be close.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
bogo

+1 for a smoother rewind/forward. Also it would be cool to have the option to keep the play head fixed and the waveform moving for all the transport actions.
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
Have you tried to use scrubbing? I'm not sure whether that will give you what you're looking for, but it may be close.
As far as I know I'm using scrubbing to its greatest extent in using the move cursors actions, unless I would buy a jog/scrub wheel or midi controller to use the midi cc actions, which I'd prefer not to (but may have to).
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
bogo

I'm still looking for a good rewind/forward action.

What are the actions you use to simulate a rewind/forward? Can you scrub using the keyboard? Please give me the recipe if it's a custom one.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
bogo

I've built this one for fast-forward, works ok :

tansport: pause
Transport: increase playrate by 6% (8 times)
Action: wait 0.5 before next action
transport: play

ctrl z (undo) to go back to the initial playrate (I have to pause before to avoid noise).

I've untiqued ''preserve pitch when changing master playrate''.