Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
beginnerplayer666
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 44
Default How to deal with hearing clean sound on top of fx sound

I noticed that I can hear my electric guitar's clean sound at the same time as my fx effects. At first I assumed that I was just hearing the guitar itself but now I know that I'm hearing both through my studio monitors. I'm using a scarlett solo.

Anyone know how I can deal with this issue? When I toggle direct monitoring on and off it seems to lesson it but not eliminate it...or at least it seems that way.

any thoughts on this?
beginnerplayer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
OldTascam
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginnerplayer666 View Post
I noticed that I can hear my electric guitar's clean sound at the same time as my fx effects. At first I assumed that I was just hearing the guitar itself but now I know that I'm hearing both through my studio monitors. I'm using a scarlett solo.

Anyone know how I can deal with this issue? When I toggle direct monitoring on and off it seems to lesson it but not eliminate it...or at least it seems that way.

any thoughts on this?
Do you by any chance have the "Direct Monitor" (or whatever it's called on your interface) button/switch engaged? If so, the interface is routing your input signal to your phones/monitors as well as to Reaper.
OldTascam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
ChrisBlue
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 252
Default

I've had the same issue. Don't know what was causing it but when I switched my guitar pickup to a single rather than the double setting it seemed to stop the issue
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
beginnerplayer666
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 44
Default

ok this all makes sense now. turning off direct monitoring minimized the issue....but then switching to using one pickup instead of two eliminated it completely...well as far as I can tell. problem solved for me. but I'm just using reaper for guitar practice for now. I haven't started recording anything yet.
beginnerplayer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #5
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9,402
Default

The number of pickups you're using shouldn't make any difference.

What effects are you using? Plugins? A hardware effects box?

With some plugins they expect a mono input, but REAPER always gives them a stereo input unless you change the track I/O. This ends up with the left channel being effected and the right channel passing clean.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
beginnerplayer666
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
The number of pickups you're using shouldn't make any difference.

What effects are you using? Plugins? A hardware effects box?

With some plugins they expect a mono input, but REAPER always gives them a stereo input unless you change the track I/O. This ends up with the left channel being effected and the right channel passing clean.
https://imgur.com/3oXcm2a
beginnerplayer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginnerplayer666 View Post
Okay, I've not had that problem with Ignite Emissary, but it's worth a shot anyway.

On the Emissary plugin, click where it says 2 in / 2 out (between Param and UI buttons), try setting both inputs to channel 1, or just turn off channel 2:



My guess is that switching to one pickup instead of two just makes it less audible. Direct monitoring will always bring the clean signal through, but if you're still hearing the clean guitar with direct monitoring off then something else is awry.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
beginnerplayer666
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Okay, I've not had that problem with Ignite Emissary, but it's worth a shot anyway.

On the Emissary plugin, click where it says 2 in / 2 out (between Param and UI buttons), try setting both inputs to channel 1, or just turn off channel 2:



My guess is that switching to one pickup instead of two just makes it less audible. Direct monitoring will always bring the clean signal through, but if you're still hearing the clean guitar with direct monitoring off then something else is awry.
Well, i guess after switching off direct monitoring, still hearing the clean sound was either in my head or I was hearing directly from the strings to my ears(as apposed to strings, through audio interface, through DAW, through monitors to my ears).

How I just came to this conclusion is that I recorded myself doing a riff with direct monitoring off, then on, then off again...then I just listened through my monitors and could hear the difference. When direct monitoring is off, it doesn't record my clean sound, and the tone sounds better. I did this using both my pickups.

Hope what I just said makes sense.

Also I adjusted the settings like you said and it made it sound even better, which is a plus.
beginnerplayer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginnerplayer666 View Post
Well, i guess after switching off direct monitoring, still hearing the clean sound was either in my head or I was hearing directly from the strings to my ears(as apposed to strings, through audio interface, through DAW, through monitors to my ears).

How I just came to this conclusion is that I recorded myself doing a riff with direct monitoring off, then on, then off again...then I just listened through my monitors and could hear the difference. When direct monitoring is off, it doesn't record my clean sound, and the tone sounds better. I did this using both my pickups.

Hope what I just said makes sense.

Also I adjusted the settings like you said and it made it sound even better, which is a plus.
It's easy for our ears to play tricks on us!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #10
beginnerplayer666
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It's easy for our ears to play tricks on us!
haha yeah.
beginnerplayer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.