Old 12-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Stringer
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Jamstix

I have been trying to use Jamstix in Reaper, and while it works, I find that some of the controls don't quite do what they are supposed to do. For example, in a midi jam, when I set the "fills" slider to 8 bars, the first fill is created at bar 68, and then it creates fills ever 8 bars for the remainder, but they don't always play properly. I have also had the opposite--nothing but fills, no basic rhythm. I have routed the midi output to the Jamstix channel, and it is clearly receiving it. The problems are odd, and inconsistent, and I am new to Jamstix, so I am not sure exactly what is going on. My other host is FL Studio, but I can't figure out how to route midi to another channel, so I have not been able to test it.

For other Jamstix users, is everything working ok?

Thanks,

John
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
DrJ

Hey there John, i've been using Jamstix with Reaper since i discovered Reaper (bout .956 beta) and haven't suffered the problems you're getting, although i don't use midi jam... the only thing i can think of is that you have Fills assigned to a midi note trigger and that you are maybe playing that key as part of your 'jam'... have done that myself, and yea it was annoying as hell til i figured it out!

Are you using the 1.71 release of Jamstix?

good luck
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
Stringer

Yes, I've got the newest version. I've got Mr. Ray73 midi part on track 1 and an audio guitar part on track 2. Jamstix is on track 3, and I have routed track 1 to track 3, monitor only. Jamstix responds to the midi information, at least the velocity slider moves, and the arrangment changes according to the chords. If I switch to audio jam, it responds to that too.

I am puzzled, because usually VSTi's just either work or don't work. This one appears to be working, but not quite as expected. I have a feeling I am doing something wrong, but I am not touching the keyboard while Jamstix creates the arrangement. It is working with pre-recorded midi info.

Thanks,

John
Old 12-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Stringer

Part of my problem appears to be that the "start bar" was set to 10 rahter than zero. I don't know how that happened, and there are still some mysteries, but Jamstix is now working more as expected.

John
Old 12-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
DrJ

glad to hear its working better, i reckon you should try the Jamstix & Reaper forum on the Rayzoon site - it does sound like its more likely to be a problem with your configuration of Jamstix, and Ralph is very good (and quick) at solving problems... i also know he has a copy of Reaper so maybe he can nut this one out!

best o luck
jeff
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote