Old 12-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Alkamist
Human being with feelings

Default Bug with hidden tracks? Accidental deletion

Hey! I've noticed with Reaper that there is an option to hide tracks in the mixer and TCP. This is a very attractive thing for me because I usually deal with a very large track count and that really helps me keep things cleaner and organized.

However, I have noticed a bug with this in that when you hide tracks in the mixer and TCP, those hidden tracks can be accidentally selected via the TCP but not in the mixer.
This occurs when the hidden track(s) are within the range of a shift click between two tracks.

I tested this like so:
- Make three tracks in positions 1-3
- Hide the middle track (track 2)
- Select the two remaining tracks (in the TCP) via shift click (click the first one, hold shift, click the second one)
- Unhide the hidden track
- You will notice that the hidden track is also selected

If you do the above steps except you do the selection within the mixer, when you unhide the hidden track it will not be selected.

This is in my opinion a bug because you don't want to have access to selecting hidden tracks. That can lead to accidental deletion. So if you do this (bear with me):

- Make three tracks in positions 1-3
- Hide the middle track (track 2)
- Select the two remaining tracks (in the TCP) via shift click (click the first one, hold shift, click the second one)
- Delete the two remaining tracks
- You will notice that the hidden track is also deleted

This only happens within the TCP, and when the hidden track or tracks are between (in track order) the two or more tracks you are shift clicking. If the hidden track or tracks are after what you are shift clicking, they will not be selected, i.e. the third track is hidden and you click track 1 and shift click track 2 and delete, the third track will be in tact.
Alkamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Dang..I had this in a forgotten browser tab and didn't send it off...

Welcome to the forum!

Actually, shift+select is supposed to select all tracks in between and it might be equally unexpected if it wouldn't delete the hidden tracks anywhere. REAPER is sometimes trying to offer some direct action/behavior preferred by some users on one place, and not on the other place where you can perform that action, in case you need the opposite behavior.

Otherwise, you'd always have to go to the Track Manager first and unhide tracks before using shift-select deleting or we'd need yet another Preferences option for that behavior. Or did I misunderstand this?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Alkamist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Dang..I had this in a forgotten browser tab and didn't send it off...

Welcome to the forum!

Actually, shift+select is supposed to select all tracks in between and it might be equally unexpected if it wouldn't delete the hidden tracks anywhere. REAPER is sometimes trying to offer some direct action/behavior preferred by some users on one place, and not on the other place where you can perform that action, in case you need the opposite behavior.

Otherwise, you'd always have to go to the Track Manager first and unhide tracks before using shift-select deleting or we'd need yet another Preferences option for that behavior. Or did I misunderstand this?
Thanks!

Oh I see what you mean! That does make a lot of sense. But maybe it should be a preference though, because sometimes I delete tracks with a shift click via the TCP simply out of impulse because it is there and available. The possibility that I might accidentally delete a track unintentionally scares me out of hiding tracks at all!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Tod

Ah, I can see how easily this can happen. Anything hidden via the track manager should be off limits in the TCP or MCP. I'm surprised I haven't gotten caught with this one yet, heh heh, at least I don't think I have.

I do usually look at the track numbers before removing tracks but still it would be so easy.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Alkamist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Ah, I can see how easily this can happen. Anything hidden via the track manager should be off limits in the TCP or MCP. I'm surprised I haven't gotten caught with this one yet, heh heh, at least I don't think I have.

I do usually look at the track numbers before removing tracks but still it would be so easy.
Yeah sadly I actually have been caught with it before. A rather unfortunate way to be brought to my attention =[ But hopefully it can be fixed. I would really like to be carefree while hiding tracks, that's the point of hiding them isn't it? The reason why you would want to hide a track is to not have to worry about it for a while and maybe bring it back later.