Old 11-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
jimmyjazz
Human being with feelings

Default Finding individual wav files

OK, this isn't a disaster but it's disturbing. I sent a folder to a bandmate via WeTransfer and he wasn't able to find some of the tracks. When I "Open Project" within Reaper, go to that folder, and open the Project file, I see all the tracks.

It seems that the Project file is bringing in tracks from different folders. How do I find the location of those individual WAV files?

I searched for one of the filenames using Windows Explorer and found it in another project folder, which I first assumed was another file with the same name, but it might be the actual file I'm looking for. I need to play it . . . hold the phone!

Last edited by jimmyjazz; 11-27-2019 at 01:58 PM.
jimmyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
nait

Just a thought, although someone probably has a better idea.. but can you save the project under a new filename (ex. increment a number on the end) and when you save it, make sure the checkboxes are checked:

- Create Subdirectory for project (to keep everything all together in an easy to find spot)
- Copy all media into project directory (puts all the waves you have potentially scattered about in other folders into one folder within your project subfolder).

After about 2 months of using Reaper, I started to save my projects in their own folders and always ensure those checkboxes are checked. That way the folder has everything it needs to work inside of it.... minus any VSTs (i.e. FX and VST instruments the other user may not have), of course, but that sounds like a non-issue for you.

If you're already doing that, maybe ask the other person what files are being reported as missing, as it should say those on start up.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
jimmyjazz

Thanks. I think I found them. Somehow they got saved in another project folder, no doubt due to operator error on day 1 of tracking. Reaper probably just happily went on pointing itself to the right files unbeknownst to me.
jimmyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
nait

Yeah by default, if you load the wav file from some random file folder, it will look for the wav files in that exact location whenever the project is loaded. That's why I really recommend that you start saving your projects using the checkboxes I mentioned.

Even if you don't plan on sharing it with other artists, it still makes it a lot easier to back up your projects. Also, if you buy a new PC (or new drive(s)), it'll be easier to move stuff to the new one. The only downside, of course, is if you use the checkbox to copy the media, it will then duplicate the media, thus taking up more hard drive space. But you can select the check box to move media, instead, if that makes more sense for you to do.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
georgemickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjazz View Post
OK, this isn't a disaster but it's disturbing. I sent a folder to a bandmate via WeTransfer and he wasn't able to find some of the tracks. When I "Open Project" within Reaper, go to that folder, and open the Project file, I see all the tracks.

It seems that the Project file is bringing in tracks from different folders. How do I find the location of those individual WAV files?

I searched for one of the filenames using Windows Explorer and found it in another project folder, which I first assumed was another file with the same name, but it might be the actual file I'm looking for. I need to play it . . . hold the phone!

Give a free program Everything a try. I use it to find any file type I'm looking for, on any drive attached.

https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/
georgemickel is offline   Reply With Quote