Old 12-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
ChrisBlue
Human being with feelings

Default Hearing guitar FX

I am trying to hear and record my guitar through an amp plugin but can't hear any effects. I have put the amp both on the input effects and (not simultaneously) on the track effects and switched between monitoring modes, presumably record monitoring ON is the one I should have (but none of the options are enabling me to hear the amp). I've watched videos on this before and can't seem to get it. I feel it is probably simple but am not getting results. Help would be appreciated. Thanks for any help I do have Direct monitoring on on my interface

Last edited by ChrisBlue; 12-04-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: more info
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
domzy

what interface are you using and does it have a direct monitoring capability? If so, make sure it's turned off and you should be able to hear the fx from Reaper.

you do have it. is it turned off?

Last edited by domzy; 12-04-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: op updated post
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
ChrisBlue

I have a Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen, when I turn OFF direct monitoring there is no sound at all through the interface and speakers. I right clicked on the record-arm button and it shows record monitoring on in Reaper (as does hovering over the monitoring icon). I have the amp effect on the input FX.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
domzy

if you play audio from reaper can you hear it?

when trying to record, i know you said you can't hear it but are you seeing activity on the meter?
Old 12-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
domzy

and you do have the track record-armed?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
ChrisBlue

Yes I have a signal and sound through the speakers, just wasn't getting effects on the sound. It was one of those situations when something doesn't work and so you try something that without your realising stops the other things you try from working, namely I tried a reverb on the input FX after the amp which now I've taken off is allowing the amp FX to work. I don't know why it didn't work before I put the reverb on though. Not sure why the reverb stops it working since reverb on the input FX is legitimate isn't it? Anyway thanks for your help
Old 12-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
Reason

I've had a specific freeware algo reverb kill all audio from any track it's on, after a random amount of time. It's a relatively popular one and I don't see that issue reported by others so might be an idiosyncrasy to my setup. Sounds different than your issue though - sounds like audio was coming through, just the effect wasn't, er, effecting?

What effect/effects are you using?
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:41 AM   #8
ChrisBlue

It was Eventide Ultratap.