COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
Justin
Administrator

Default NINJAM private servers

Since people have expressed interest in setting up private servers, we're doing an experiment, which is to add 50 servers, each with a 4 person max (and 2 channels per user). They are labeled in the list as "private server".

(side note: the list is too small! the next version of ReaNINJAM will have a resizable list which will make it easier to read).

Anyway, the servers are not _truly_ private. They are like having a studio with a door that doesn't lock. So please be respectful and don't join a server that isn't empty unless you're invited, and if you think it's empty and there's someone already there, leave ASAP.

This is just an experiment. If it fails miserably maybe we'll add the capability to put locks on the doors (for a limited amount of time, anyway). Or maybe they'll all go away, or become normal public rooms.

Stay safe everybody!

Last edited by Justin; 03-29-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
akademie
Human being with feelings

Fantastic!
Timed lock would be nice solution for many uses that require privacy, I think.
A good step.

P.S.: These servers/rooms shouldn't have auto record / autosong enabled though (for privacy reasons, obviously).
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:27 AM   #3
pljones

Not having looked at the code, of course... but...

- Add the idea of channel passwords (in addition to user passwords).
- Allow "anonymous" entry to a channel to require a password.
- Add the ability to lock a channel with a password.
- Add a maximum channel (or server) lock timeout.

Then, something like "!lock <password> (<timeout>)" to set a lock (for up to timeout minutes or the max configured limit if not specified or less) and anyone else wanting to enter the channel would need the password.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #4
CavanStudio

This is amazing!!! Thanks a lot!!! It will be tested today and I will share our experience ASAP, this will be our first digital rehearsal! Are "log ins" anonymous or is there a standard user/password?

Cheers from Costa Rica! Max
CavanStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
lavrgs

If there are any basic instructions for a new user?. I have been able to join but I wonder if it is possible to change BPM and how to invite someone
lavrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrgs View Post
If there are any basic instructions for a new user?. I have been able to join but I wonder if it is possible to change BPM and how to invite someone
to change bpm, you can use "!vote bpm 130", change bpi use "!vote bpi 16" etc. To invite someone, tell them (via some other channel) where you are.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
pljones

There a lot of Q&A covered in the other stickies, too.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=12578
Old 03-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Anybody have any feedback/experiences on these servers? Working OK? Problems?
Old 03-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
franelco

Thanks for your work!!

Only this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233517
franelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #10
CavanStudio

Hello Justin! We did tried the private server and it worked smooth with 3 musicians from Costa Rica! Thanks for that! Definitively it worth the try for jamming sessions! Max
CavanStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Those private servers are no longer listed in the list, they will go away soon -- instead we've made a new system which allows for truly private rooms with a lobby you can join first. It'll be listed as the last server in the list for a bit...
Old 03-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
akademie

Justin,
is it possible to make the same (private rooms...) in our servers too? New ninjam server source? Or is it some kind of additional software outside of ninjamserver that add this kind of rooms management?
Thanks

EDIT:
It is too easy to join the other's room accidentaly by using too common roomnames. Lets say "testroom" or "rehearsal" etc. you know, kind of "brute force" behavior, even if not intended that bad way.

Last edited by akademie; 03-31-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Justin,
is it possible to make the same (private rooms...) in our servers too? New ninjam server source? Or is it some kind of additional software outside of ninjamserver that add this kind of rooms management?
Thanks
There's a branch on my github mirror that supports it, however it reduces logging/recording functionality somewhat, at least for now.

Quote:

EDIT:
It is too easy to join the other's room accidentaly by using too common roomnames. Lets say "testroom" or "rehearsal" etc. you know, kind of "brute force" behavior, even if not intended that bad way.
Your privacy is only as good as your room name, yeah. People could use this to their advantage, though, and say, make a semi-private room called "ambient" or "blues" or "classical." If you use your band's name + a random word, you'll be fine.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:21 PM   #14
akademie

OK, cryptic roomnames would solve it partialy then

I am not experienced "builder" so I will keep my server as it is now running, but it is always good be aware of new functionality etc. what can be done if I would go to make new server in future.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
akademie

Little bit off topic,
but would it be possible in ReaNINJAM to save content of chat window together with the ninjam session locally?
Most of the time the chat can contain important information about the session from all participants, so it would be fine if saved as text file next to clipsort.log.

EDIT: And timestamps for individual lines of chat would be pretty useful.

Last edited by akademie; 03-31-2020 at 02:41 PM. Reason: timestamps hint added
Old 03-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Little bit off topic,
but would it be possible in ReaNINJAM to save content of chat window together with the ninjam session locally?
Most of the time the chat can contain important information about the session from all participants, so it would be fine if saved as text file next to clipsort.log.
sure yeah, can embed it in clipsort.log (next builds of reaninjam will do that).
Old 03-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #17
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
sure yeah, can embed it in clipsort.log (next builds of reaninjam will do that).
Wohoooo :-O
Hopefully it will not break current Reaper's NINJAM sessions import.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #18
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Wohoooo :-O
Hopefully it will not break current Reaper's NINJAM sessions import.
It shouldn't, but I confess I didn't test it yet (I will tonight)

Edit: tested, works fine!

Last edited by Justin; 04-01-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #19
Justin
Administrator

Hmm seems like it's not getting much use, maybe the interest wore off.. or maybe the server doesn't work right? Anybody have any private1.ninjam.com experiences lately?
Old 04-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #20
pljones

People like to join rooms that have people in - they tend to go more for rooms with more people in.

So when they were listed out in full, people might pop in if they saw someone there *anyway*. Or if most of the public servers was full, they could see this long list of empty servers to use.

Now it's all hidden away and doing what it's "meant" for - it's not attracting ad hoc use and, really, there's not that much planned activity.

(I keep thinking "I really should get around to checking in with @insert_user_here@ to see when we can have a jam"... and just don't do it. Sorting out using a private server is one more step )
Old 04-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #21
akademie

Quote:
Hmm seems like it's not getting much use, maybe the interest wore off.. or maybe the server doesn't work right? Anybody have any private1.ninjam.com experiences lately?
Hello Justin,
I think that the server with private rooms is really great idea. It is very usable and elegant solution for people which need temporary privacy of their performance for any reason.
On another hand, as pljones wrote, if anybody only wants to jam along with other unknown musicians, it is much easier for them to look for online users in public servers and join them.
So I wouldn't be so quick in deciding on the usefulness of that private server(s).
And don't forget, that there is also a bit difficulty with controlling the session for lot of people - voting for bpi and bpm. You saw it in private server yourself that even to create room by typing "!join roomname" was a problem for lot of them
Maybe a little help/hints of commands that can / have to be used in session could be available directly from ReaNINJAM window rather than in chat window, if you know what I mean. As of now it requires a bit of knowledge about using ninjam (from web page and forums).

Lot of people also thought that they will just use NINJAM to rehearsal etc. like in realtime, which is not made for such purpose of course.

I think that it will stabilize over time. If you need to take care of the load of the server, maybe lowering the number of private servers (instead of 50) could do the job for you? But I would vote for keeping the private server/rooms available if possible.

BTW, it worked fine from my home yesterday (as you know we had a chat there together). But from my work office I cannot connect because of port 2049 is used.
I cannot connect on that port even to my private server in hosting so that's nothing wrong with your servers, just that one port can be forbidden for any reason and then it is unreachable.
Maybe it would be good to have not only one server but two or three (with different ports) for people with port issues, so they can pick another server with different port?

Last edited by akademie; 04-01-2020 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #22
dug dog

Quote:
I saw Kenny's vid today and I'm here now trying to figure out how to make this go. I haven't yet figured out how the latency thing works.... (I'll keep reading.) LOL.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #23
pljones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
I saw Kenny's vid today and I'm here now trying to figure out how to make this go. I haven't yet figured out how the latency thing works.... (I'll keep reading.) LOL.
Try this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....59#post2230659
Old 04-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #24
hwhalen

I tried it yesterday and it works very well.
That being said I'm not sure if it'll lend itself
to my band mates and I using it. We tend to work
on a defined song basis. Jazz players can really get
good use of this remote jam service. Pop music will
IMHO need a little more structure...which can be achieved
with a little ingenuity.

Thanx for this service Justin.

Cheers
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #25
Justin
Administrator

Looks like there are a number of rooms in use, yay!
Old 04-03-2020, 03:26 AM   #26
mjkl

I think this is a really great idea, thanks very much Justin.
I've been trying to introduce people to this, it feels like a great way to work and connect with others.

A home server (if I can access the relevant settings on my router) feels like it might be the better way to go in the long run, but for getting people into it I reckon this is a much easier option.

One of my bands did a recording last week using ninjam which I've made a music video for, so please check it out if you like.

https://www.facebook.com/mahatmosphe...5064365277892/
Old 04-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #27
K8ch

Default Thanks Justin!!

Really appreciate anything that you (or others) do, to improve the NINJAM experience (not that it's in dire need of anything).

I've only recently tried NINJAM, haven't tried to set up a room, yet.
I took a glance at the instructions at the ninjam.com, and it didn't look easy.
So, I haven't tried.

The YouTube video starts with, "...you have to know how to change the port in your router..."...and at that point, I'm lost.

So, it seems a somewhat complicated thing...but I hope that either I'm wrong, or that it is made less difficult, soon.

Thanks again!!!

Peace,
K8ch
Old 04-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #28
pljones

If you're going to run a server - any server for anything - you need to have degree of knowledge about managing internet services and controlling your connection to the internet. This isn't something specific to NINJAM. You do need to understand it first.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #29
K8ch

That makes sense, of course.

PS: Love the Tony Williams quote.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #30
Justin
Administrator

I've updated the private server so you can actually create public rooms, by prefixing the room name with a # character (in this case they will be listed by the server on connect, or you can query a list again via the !stats command)
Old 04-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #31
akademie

Quote:
I've updated the private server so you can actually create public rooms, by prefixing the room name with a # character (in this case they will be listed by the server on connect, or you can query a list again via the !stats command)
Wow, that's another cool idea Justin!
Appreciated
Old 04-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #32
lavrgs

Default I'm in the lobby

Quote:
Looks like there are a number of rooms in use, yay!
Once you're in the lobby can you create a room...or.. how do you create a room? oops it's right above my question
lavrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #33
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrgs View Post
Once you're in the lobby can you create a room...or.. how do you create a room? oops it's right above my question
Hi lavrgs. while you are in lobby, to create a private room, just type:
!join roomname
(where roomname is any name you like for your room - make it as unique as possible
Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #34
ultraleetj

OK, what if you could probably halve the amount of rooms and slightly increase capacity of each, say for 6?
I have seen one of the public severs go up to 16. I am also hosting private jams from time to time, but how do you calculate what you could get? In average I get 6 mpbs of upload speed here, so according to what is posted in the ninjam site I could host a 16 person jam?
ultraleetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #35
bejazz

Hi Justin and all the guys under the project ninjam

I was wondering why you dont create a feature to get private server with some remuneration , really private ? jammr seems working with this
as an old user of reaninjam jamtaba id prefer to give money for the servers of ninjam than another company .This will help getting money for servers and will keep the philosophy of having free public servers .

Is it possible to use jamtaba using the server created this way ?

Thanks to the all team giving us those great moment of jamming !
bejazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #36
akademie

bejazz,
you are free to use my private server, you only need to reserve (book) specific time...
(you'll be then sent confirmation email with credentials and second email at the time when the session actually starts)

musicorner - PRIVATE NINJAM SESSION ROOM
(please, read carefully about date and time formats and zones)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #37
bejazz

Thks akademie but booking before , is just not my way of using ninjam .
Old 04-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #38
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejazz View Post
Thks akademie but booking before , is just not my way of using ninjam .
OK, but then you would need to build and run your own private server I think.

What exactly is a problem with booking/reservation?

The server offers private session and it cannot be unlimited ad hoc when anybody decides now to go into private session (think of it like a rehearsal room where more bands do their rehearsals, get it? You also cannot just come and play without prior reservation, and also ... not to much to write if you don't like it, for sure).
Only I think to be in private session requires also to agree beforehand with partner(s) on some specific time etc., doesn't it?

No problem at my side, I was only kindly offering you my free server. Few musicians are using it for more than a year.

I then recommend you to use those private-rooms that you can make on new Justin's servers.

EDIT: But, hey, I can offer you also extra unlimited session to be there just for you 24/7. Well, but not free then. I pay for the server and running ninjam private there to help people that need privacy for their projects, but in wide sense of users, and that I like to do it for free, because a lot musicians can be satisfied. Locking server resources to one session is something different and smell like some kind of business to me.

Last edited by akademie; 04-19-2020 at 10:38 AM. Reason: adding paid option for bejazz
Old 04-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #39
bejazz

Another asking

i play jazz and often bpi too short for playing whole tune even when halfing bpm

could it be possible to get bpm down to 20 and bpi up to 96

Hope its possible

Thanks a lot
Old 04-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #40
bejazz

Quote:
OK, but then you would need to build and run your own private server I think.

I then recommend you to use those private-rooms that you can make on new Justin's servers.

thanks again
the idea is to get ninjamers friends in public room and when the team is ok, getting to a private server.

.. yes your right, i really need to create my own server .. but i suck in router setting up . so private with some security wth ninjam will be just perfect for me

Last edited by bejazz; 04-19-2020 at 11:55 AM.