Old 01-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
pcartwright
Human being with feelings

Default JSFX: MIDI Strum

https://stash.reaper.fm/29593/MIDI%20Strummer.txt

This JSFX creates a strum effect by delaying each note by a certain length of time (can be adjusted by a slider). The user then has the option to either create a downward strum (lower pitches played before higher pitches) or an upward strum (higher pitches are played before lower pitches).

The downward strum and upward strum are triggered by two different MIDI notes which can be defined by the user.

Users can assign the chords (notes to be strummed) in either the same or separate MIDI channel from the strumming notes. Obviously, if users choose the same channel for both, the strum keys should not be in the same playing range as the chords.

Similar to my MIDI "Vocode" effect, the user also can choose between the strumming note velocities, the chord velocities, or some mixture of the two.

There is also a slider that allows users to increase or decrease the velocity through the strum. For example, a value of -5 will decrease the velocity the second note of a chord by 5, the third note by 10, and so forth. A positive value would increase the velocity.

Finally, CC 64 (sustain pedal) can be used to sustain notes between strums.

EDIT: Notes played while holding either of the strum keys will play. This can be used to simulate hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Last edited by pcartwright; 01-23-2017 at 06:45 PM. Reason: new version
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
pcartwright

A couple of use tips.

When playing live, make sure you play the chord before you play the strum keys (just as you would a guitar). This might sound obvious, but it can be slightly tricky on chord changes.

I suggest using parameter modulation to create variety on the time between each strum. An LFO goes a long way in creating subtleties.

Experiment with the velocity increase/decrease slider. I find I get a more natural sounding strum if I set this value to around -3 or so. Of course, you could put this on a LFO as well for even more variation.

Last edited by pcartwright; 04-14-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:32 AM   #3
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post

This JSFX creates a strum effect by delaying each note by a certain length of time (can be adjusted by a slider). The user then has the option to either create a downward strum (lower pitches played before higher pitches) or an upward strum (higher pitches are played before lower pitches).

The downward strum and upward strum are triggered by two different MIDI notes which can be defined by the user.

Users can assign the chords (notes to be strummed) in either the same or separate MIDI channel from the strumming notes. Obviously, if users choose the same channel for both, the strum keys should not be in the same playing range as the chords.

Similar to my MIDI "Vocode" effect, the user also can choose between the strumming note velocities, the chord velocities, or some mixture of the two.

There is also a slider that allows users to increase or decrease the velocity through the strum. For example, a value of -5 will decrease the velocity the second note of a chord by 5, the third note by 10, and so forth. A positive value would increase the velocity.

AWESOME !!
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post

Hey pcartwright,

I just tested it and it works great !!
One strange thing though:

In strummer plugin ,C3 and D3 are set as being the strummer trigger notes.
But in MIDI Editor, when i insert these 2 notes, the strummer will not work.
I have to transpose C3 and D3 down to C1 and D1 in MIDI Editor , then these 2 notes DO work as being the strum triggers ..
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:56 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

Nice thanks!
Old 01-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #6
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Hey pcartwright,

I just tested it and it works great !!
One strange thing though:

In strummer plugin ,C3 and D3 are set as being the strummer trigger notes.
But in MIDI Editor, when i insert these 2 notes, the strummer will not work.
I have to transpose C3 and D3 down to C1 and D1 in MIDI Editor , then these 2 notes DO work as being the strum triggers ..
C5 is middle C in the plugin. What is middle C labeled in your MIDI Editor?

Also, do you have a transposing effect inserted? Maybe transposed notation view?

Last edited by pcartwright; 01-22-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #7
germano

Superb.

In one week i found two strumming possibilities. This one and the "Reaper MIDI Editor: The Arpeggio/Strumming Tool" from Rob van Hees:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkdrS5J_CD4&t=52s

Very good week for reaper fans.

Thanks Cartwright. Very good job.
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
pcartwright

Would it make sense to allow notes to be played after a strum key is pressed (but before the strum key is released) to help simulate hammer-on and pull-offs?

It might also make it easier to use the strummer live (i.e. you don't have to be as precise with your keyboard playing).

Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #9
Sju

Haha this is really awesome really enjoying it in combination with AAS String Studio. Thanks!

PS. support for ho&po would be very nice

PPS. option for some kind of velocity to -time between notes modulation perhaps? louder -> faster strum

Last edited by Sju; 01-22-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote