Old 11-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Default So... F#?

After fighting the good fight for VB I think I'll be trying Visual F# for my next project. It seems to be a nice language from what i've read so far, but we'll see how it goes.

Thoughts?

I think my learning experience might involve duplicating my last project in F#.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Runaway

So Lawrence what was the problem with vb (.net?)
Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
So Lawrence what was the problem with vb (.net?)
Nothing really, I was just looking it over and I like the way the F# language is setup and thought I'd give it a try.

That was short lived though. It has no designer and I'm not going down that road again, building all my forms and controls from scratch.

The language is really nice though.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Okay, when someone brings out Db mixolydian, please give me a heads up
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Okay, when someone brings out Db mixolydian, please give me a heads up

Haha.

Being serious, F# has some really nice things in it and the language is very easy to learn, and it's a complete break from C, C#, VB, an entirely different language. The big stumbling block for me is no form designer. But I'll play around with it anyway.

To build Win forms you must do it all in code, like... 20 years ago... which is a hassle. They otherwise seem to pre-suppose you'd mostly be building XAML forms, which I have no experience in. One cool thing about it is that it complies to Win, Android and IOS (with Xamarin).

At any rate, I'm in my "Get PayPal to help pay the winter gas bill" mode. I just uploaded a macro editor for Mixcraft. I hope to see some donations.

http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/view...hp?f=4&t=16623
Old 11-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
WyattRice

Hey Lawrence,
Have you ever tried Lazarus with free pascal?

I've used to create a frontend GUI for ddpinfo and cdrecord "DDP To Cue Writer", and it's multi platform and no dot net libs needed.

Just thought I'd mention it.
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

Regards,
Wyatt
Old 11-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Haha.

To build Win forms you must do it all in code, like... 20 years ago... which is a hassle. They otherwise seem to pre-suppose you'd mostly be building XAML forms, which I have no experience in. One cool thing about it is that it complies to Win, Android and IOS (with Xamarin).
IIRC, GUI's isn't really what it is for. It's for highly computational and analytical tasks, so you'd build that in F# and likely use another language for GUIs etc and load the F# DLL into it or vice versa. XAML has everything you wish Winforms had but it has it's has good and bad points.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-30-2014 at 08:50 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
Lawrence

I'm late to the party. It seems Visual Studio is free now, the whole thing, not just express. I just installed VS Community so now I have VS "Pro" I guess, instead of just Express. I'm gonna build myself a starter Winform GUI template with F# and .NET, a form and some controls, and see where it leads.

I like the look of the F# language structure. If I can get a couple of forms going I might make the transition from VB. If I make any progress I'll update this thread.

Last edited by Lawrence; 12-01-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
Lawrence

Well that wasn't so hard. Here is my first F# Windows form. My early issue will be case sensitivity, which is required here and doesn't auto-correct like VB. I'll just create a template form with a few buttons and lists and combos and things on it and use it as a starting point for my little apps.

The tedious part for me will be positioning UI controls. In VB & C# you can do that drag and drop and then just debug.print the X/Y's to hardcode the positions if you need to. Here you have to size and position all the controls explicitly in code lines. You also have to explicitly reference the core .NET components, unlike VB.

So far so good. I love the simplicity of the language. I assume I'll also have to manually create all of the event handlers.

Last edited by Lawrence; 12-01-2014 at 10:24 AM.