Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 06-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default SWS ReaScript: How to pass HWND from Lua to C++: Unknown type HWND

I am trying to convert some basic windows-related C++ functions to Lua API. In particular, GetClientRect, which takes a HWND as argument.

How do I pass a HWND from Lua to a C++ function?

If I declare the function as follows, everything builds OK and and the syntax in the auto-generated API help is also correct.
Code:
bool C_GetClientRect(HWND window, int* widthOut, int* heightOut);
And in ReaScript.cpp:
Code:
APIFUNC(C_GetClientRect), "bool", "HWND,int*,int*", "window,widthOut,heightOut", ...
However, when I try to call this function, I get an error in REAPER: "Unknown type HWND".

I checked whether any other SWS functions take a HWND as parameter, and found two: BR_MIDI_CCLaneRemove and BR_MIDI_CCLaneRemove. Surprisingly, these functions also give the same "unknown type" error.

DarkStar has noticed this error back in 2016: Q4: Lua MIDI functions.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
juliansader

I figured out a solution!

Use void* instead of HWND in the parameters, and then cast the argument to HWND inside the function.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
cfillion

The type cast is not necessary: the argument can be kept as HWND in the C++ code. As long as it's exposed to REAPER as void* in ReaScript.cpp it should work the same (because the auto-generated reascript_vararg.h does the cast anyway).

Another bug with HWND in extension APIs is that returning one always gives 0. For the FXChain window APIs I created a custom type (FXChain as an alias of HWND__) to work around this while attempting to keep type checks (it turns out REAPER doesn't seem to type check custom types – it's possible to pass a MediaTrack* just like with void*).

The BR_MIDI_CCLaneReplace and BR_MIDI_CCLaneRemove functions were broken in this commit: https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/co...a4e4084ddeL149.

I think the best solution would be for REAPER to support HWND for extension APIs.

Last edited by cfillion; 06-19-2018 at 03:48 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:17 AM   #4
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
Hi juliansader, your private messages box is hidden, so i will ask here:
Could you please check again and let me know what is hidden? I regularly receive PMs, so AFAIK my PM box is available, but if anything is hidden, I need to unhide it.

Quote:
how to use your Window_ListFind/Window_ListAllTop, etc?
I'm trying to get all opened Parameter modulation windows.

that's what i tried:
listfind = reaper.Window_ListFind("Parameter modulation", false, "anysectn", "anykey")
> nil
To retrieve the list, you must use reaper.GetExtState("anysectn", "anykey").

Since the returned list may be much longer than the limit of API return strings (1024 characters), the function places the list in an ExtState.

Once you have retrieved the ExtState, you can use Window_HandleFromAddress to transform the addresses into REAPER objects:
Code:
t = {} -- table to store all the handles
for address in list:gmatch("%w+") do
    address = tonumber(address)
    t[#t+1] = reaper.Window_HandleFromAddress(address&0xFFFFFFFF, address>>32)
end