Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
Melodyshine
Human being with feelings

Default How do I change the VU meter color?

I wanted to use the Theme Editor but it doesn't work. It only works with the Classic Theme, but not with the Default theme.
Melodyshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
inspired

it will work from the theme editor, just also have to disable/untick an option.. i think it says something "use overlay for vu meters"
inspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
bigwoody

WOW, where is this option? I have been looking all over the place. Usually I go into the un-packed theme files and comment out the vu meter images, but this is really cumbersome. It would be great not to have to do that.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Melodyshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired View Post
it will work from the theme editor, just also have to disable/untick an option.. i think it says something "use overlay for vu meters"
? There are just 2 options: "Allow themes to override" and "Theme uses image resources". I tried all of the 4 combinations but they don't work with the default theme. Only the Classic and the Default 3.0 theme work.

So how do I change the Default's vu meter color?

Oh, I just found this http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=90300 It works now, I did not know that I could open a theme via 7zip.

Last edited by Melodyshine; 01-09-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Melodyshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
bigwoody

You must have read my mind, I was just getting ready to write the instructions on how to comment out the meter strip files for you. I had forgotten that this has been documented before. Glad you go it sorted out. I love the themers and what they are capable of, but I am old school and like the green/orange/red in my meters on any theme. I often do a similar thing with media item peaks and backgrounds.

Also remember that many of the themes have different layout options, so you may need to look in each sub directory for any meter_strip files.

Last edited by bigwoody; 01-10-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added sub file note
bigwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
CouRea

Default Folder Colors

Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct thread or not, but I need help. I'm getting pretty familiar with this Awesom DAW, but can't seem to find out how to change a "Folder" color. I have no problems changing the "audio wave" colors, but I want to color the actual folder like I've seen in some other REAPER projects.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

CouRea
CouRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoody View Post
... I am old school and like the green/orange/red in my meters on any theme.
AMEN!
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
esosotericmetal

Would someone be so kind and tell me how i'd go about modifying the VU meters in the default v5 theme? I'd like to just have your standard green/yellow/red meters. I've been able to change actual colors of the meters (by renaming the image files and changing the colors in the theme editor), but the meters have a gradient, and not solid colors for each volume range which is what i'd like. Thanks!
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
Omicron9

Quote:
Originally Posted by esosotericmetal View Post
Would someone be so kind and tell me how i'd go about modifying the VU meters in the default v5 theme? I'd like to just have your standard green/yellow/red meters. I've been able to change actual colors of the meters (by renaming the image files and changing the colors in the theme editor), but the meters have a gradient, and not solid colors for each volume range which is what i'd like. Thanks!
Bumping this thread, as I'd like to know the answer to this, too.

TIA,
Omicron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:13 AM   #10
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

If you're using the V5 default theme, or any 'modern' theme that uses the latest V5 meter theming capabilities, you have two options:

As I described in this sticky, disable the V5 colouring and do it the way we used to in the old days, using the theme tweak/configuration window. This gives you far less control over the meters' coloring in their many states, and their appearance will always be a compromise.

Unpack the theme. Steal 'meter_strip_h.png' and 'meter_strip_v.png' images from another theme with meters that you like, or grab an image editor and recolour the blocks : select the block you want to change using the marquee tool or magic wand tool, fill with whatever colour you like, save the image, then go back to Reaper and refresh the theme. Done!

---The Details---

Using the modern method means the 8 blocks give you total control over all the colours the VUs might be in any condition, which is a huge improvement over the old pre-V5 method. You can stretch or resize those images as much as you like and Reaper will squeeze them in without complaint, so long as they are a multiple of 8 on the edge so one block doesn't bleed into another when Reaper chops up the image.

a. Unlit. The background of the strip.
b. Lit. Will be swiped over to indicate signal.
c. Clipped Unlit. The background of the strip, when the channel has clipped.
d. Clipped Lit. Will be swiped over to indicate signal, when the channel has clipped.
e. Armed Unlit. The background of the strip, when the channel is armed.
f. Armed Lit. Will be swiped over to indicate signal, when the channel is armed.
g. Armed & Clipped Unlit. The background of the strip, when the channel is armed and has clipped.
h. Armed & Clipped Lit. Will be swiped over to indicate signal, when the channel is armed and has clipped.

Last edited by White Tie; 08-31-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: werdz r hard
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote