Default Dangerous Bug or 'Feature' - Seriously Dangerous

See the attached GIF

(1) Open a blank project
(2) Create a track of anything
(3) Create a "volume" envelope
(4) Create points on that envelope
(5) Right click a point and select "Set Point Value"
(6) Delete whatever value appears in the text box
(7) The point will jump to 0.0 dB, even though you have not entered a value and have not pressed or clicked "OK"

If you are changing a point that is, say -30 dB, and you attempt to do the above while the track is playing, and are wearing headphones or earbuds, THIS COULD CAUSE SERIOUS HEARING DAMAGE. The volume will jump from the current value to 0.0 dB before you enter a value and press OK.

So, this is not something I think Cockos/Reaper should think is acceptable.
Attached Images
File Type: gif NotOkay.gif (15.4 KB, 34 views)
Supermicro 7048, Dual Xeon E5-2630 V3, 64 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro, Lynx AES16e, Aurora 16, NVIDIA Titan Z, abt 9 TB HDD, 3 TB SSD, Reaper v5.62/x64, too many VST products to list but most frequently, Waves, iZotope, LASS, VSL, NI

Last edited by Archimedes; 11-13-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
mschnell
Human being with feelings

"Dangerous" Obviously you forgot "(8) all audio files in the project are deleted."

No number equals Zero. IMHO a rather obvious and usual behavior. Do you suggest it better should be "no change" or "Not accepted (-> don't leave the edit mode) ?

-Michael
Old 11-14-2017, 02:22 AM   #3
RobertP

Yeah, it is not something you would want to happen like that, apart from the possibility of hearing or trouser damage.

I believe you can highlight rather than delete what appears in the text box and over-write but I am not sure if it increases/decreases AS you input numbers- not at my machine at the moment so cant check - just dont forget the minus sign...
Old 11-14-2017, 05:40 AM   #4
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
"Dangerous" Obviously you forgot "(8) all audio files in the project are deleted."

No number equals Zero. IMHO a rather obvious and usual behavior. Do you suggest it better should be "no change" or "Not accepted (-> don't leave the edit mode) ?

-Michael
Whatever the user intends to enter should not be applied until clicking "ok".
Supermicro 7048, Dual Xeon E5-2630 V3, 64 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro, Lynx AES16e, Aurora 16, NVIDIA Titan Z, abt 9 TB HDD, 3 TB SSD, Reaper v5.62/x64, too many VST products to list but most frequently, Waves, iZotope, LASS, VSL, NI
Old 11-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
There's an option in Preferences->General->Keyboard/Multitouch to commit changes to some edit fields after 1 second of no typing, but looks like entering envelope point values is one of the edit fields that doesn't follow this setting...
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #6
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Yeah, it is not something you would want to happen like that, apart from the possibility of hearing or trouser damage.

I believe you can highlight rather than delete what appears in the text box and over-write but I am not sure if it increases/decreases AS you input numbers- not at my machine at the moment so cant check - just dont forget the minus sign...
Yes, but any activity in that box causes the envelope point to change whether you hit "OK", or press an Enter key, etc.

This has happened to me, while wearing open-back cans. Pisses me off.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:38 AM   #7
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There's an option in Preferences->General->Keyboard/Multitouch to commit changes to some edit fields after 1 second of no typing, but looks like entering envelope point values is one of the edit fields that doesn't follow this setting...
Really quite dangerous Ed. Obviously not a big deal when the track is stopped or paused - but if I'm trying to bring up a faint Foley effect, like a gun shot or cinematic hit, I routinely hand-enter values rather than try to finesse a slider or drag the point. Next thing you know, Bang! in my ears! Yikes. Really toasts my roast.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 AM   #8
jeranx

Quote:
Hi Archimedes. You'd better set this in Prefs/Audio/Mute/Solo

By security, you're right.

Bye
jeranx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:46 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Next time try using shift+drag the point instead of typing a value, perhaps? I mean, I know typing in can be faster, but if safety is concerned, it's a workaround that's available.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #10
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeranx View Post
Hi Archimedes. You'd better set this in Prefs/Audio/Mute/Solo

By security, you're right.

Bye
Yep, I have that set. A blast from -30 db to even 0.0 dB though is painful - trust me - I've experienced that.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #11
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Next time try using shift+drag the point instead of typing a value, perhaps? I mean, I know typing in can be faster, but if safety is concerned, it's a workaround that's available.
Yep. Now I just stop the track, loop around the around the area I'm trying to adjust, etc. But, that's a hack. Why have an "OK" button in this case? Doesn't make sense.

Anyway, thanks! (and thanks for everything you do in the pre forum - very impressive!)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
jeranx

Quote:
Yep, I have that set. A blast from -30 db to even 0.0 dB though is painful - trust me - I've experienced that.
Yeah Archi, I agree with that..
jeranx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
Archimedes

I think the logic should be

If (playing) {commit if no input after 1 sec = false} else {commit if no input after 1 sec = as specified by user}