Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
JJG
Human being with feelings

Default VST plugins not available in FX list

Been demo'ing Reaper for a few days, and overall I like it. However, I've encountered a couple things which are pretty much showstoppers for me.

** Some VST plugins not available in FX list.

- This occurs when I have Preferences->Plug-ins->VST->"Do not scan VST names/types (deprecated)" un-checked. In this case, some of my VST plugins don't show in the FX list, under any category. I looked in the file "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" at location C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\REAPER, and noticed that file entries for "normal" VST plugins (those that show up in the FX list) look like this:

ImpOSCar2FX_x64.dll=00F09BDA4397D001,1228031576,im pOSCar2FX (GForce)

While entries for VSTs which don't show up are much shorter, like this:

AIRPumper_x64.dll=00B1C250A4D7D101

Apparently these weren't scanned correctly?

** When I have both 32- and 64-bit versions of a plugin installed, with the same .dll name, I can't see the 64-bit version.

- This occurs when I have Preferences->Plug-ins->VST->"Do not scan VST names/types (deprecated)" checked. I have it checked because of the aforementioned bug, and because it doesn't take nearly as long to scan my plugin folder. However, if I have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same plugin installed, and if they have the same .dll name (a common occurence), I can't see the 64-bit version in the FX list. According to the blurb on the Options screen, this is expected behavior (because both 32- and 64-bit .dll's have the same filename). However, it sucks because it prevents me from using my 64-bit plugins! I'm not going to manually change the names of the 64-bit .dll's because this could break other projects and really shouldn't be necessary. For example, Bitwig and Ableton Live allow you to have multiple VST .dll's with the same name, and give you access to all of them.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
mschnell

What about first asking "how do I ... ? " in the Newbie section before suggesting a bug of the software ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
JJG

The first one seemed like a clear bug, given the specifics.

The second one was (apparently) expected behavior, but one which severely impedes usability for me (and probably other people, too). Maybe I should have made two threads, one in Bug Reports and one in Feature Requests?

If you're suggesting there is a known solution to either of these, how about *you* say what they are.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
mschnell

This subforum is not for getting help but for reporting verifiable bugs.

Did you take a look in the (excellent) User Guide and the (many, super excellent) instruction videos ?

-Michael
Old 12-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
ivansc

By way of explanation, when Reaper scans your plugin directories initially, if for whatever reason it detects a fault when scanning, it will then mark that plugin as faulty and exclude it from future re-scans until you do a full clear-re-scan, which resets everything and does a full scan of everything, including plugs that previously failed.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and like mschell said, it would pay you to download and sheck out the free user guide, or if you are allergic to heavy reading, look at a few of the excellent free video tutorials.
These are all available at reaper.fm.

One other thing you will find in the initial setting up section of both videos and user manual is the fact that the order in which you present your 32 and 64 bit plugin directories governs which you will see and which you wont. Try reversing the order of 32 and 64 in your list of locations.

Forgot to say this is why you see the difference in the information shown in your fx list and is very definitely not a bug. Which you will find out in the aforementioned manual and/or the videos.
Please dont take this as some a$$hole telling you to rtfm, just trying to point you in the right direction of general information as to HOW Reaper does stuff.
As I am sure you know, all DAWs have their own little peculiarities that you either have to ask about or do it the hard way by finding out for yourself.

Last edited by ivansc; 12-09-2018 at 03:26 PM. Reason: crap typing as usual...
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
JJG

ivansc, thanks for the explanation. I do have the user guide .pdf (the non-quickstart one) and have been referring to it; it mentioned nothing about these issues in the section about configuring your VST plugins, to my knowledge. I'll check the "setting up" section you mention, and will try switching the order of my 32- and 64-bit directories; I do still think this behavior is not optimal, but yes, all DAWs have their peculiarities.

As for the other issue, I see what you're saying about it. I did try clearing the cache and re-scanning, I believe, but the plugins still wouldn't appear for me (probably because they crashed the scanner each time). I think it's understandable that someone would interpret this behavior as a bug in Reaper and therefore report it as such (again, nothing mentioned about it in the user guide, AFAIK), but I'll ask first before reporting a bug like this in the future.

-Jeremiah
Old 12-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
(probably because they crashed the scanner each time).
I understand that a crashing VST should be reported during the scanning action.

-Michael