Old 05-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
davemann
Human being with feelings

Default ReaStream Windows Audio Drivers

Hello,

With the amount of tinkering needed to be done in order to get DAW audio input/output routing working with apps like Zoom, Skype, Teams, etc... it would seem like a great solution would be if there were Windows (and MacOS - maybe??) drivers available that would accept a ReaStream source.

Essentially - A virtual line-in, and a virtual line-out device, which could both be configured by either a very small app to set up the identifier, IP Address, and Number of channels. Or if it were possible - to have a tab on the "Properties" page of the device settings in the Sound Control Panel.

The icing on the cake would be if the driver supported specifying how many virtual devices were created, so that we could have many set up for different applications and use cases.

In this way, we could easily route our inputs/outputs tracks/busses to Windows devices, and in turn to applications that use the Windows Driver model and do not natively support ASIO.

If there's already something like this out there, then I would love to be pointed in the direction of it. Having to use OBS and things like VB Audio cables as an intermediary isn't always ideal.

I realize that this isn't exactly a feature request for REAPER itself, but it would go a long way towards helping folks get the best quality audio into their VC apps in this time when so many folks are struggling to get more than Potato for audio.
davemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
AtmanActive

This?

http://sar.audio/
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
davemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmanActive View Post
This seems to work for me in a roundabout way. I use a separate computer (a Mac) to host my REAPER instance which is connected to my Interface, rather than my PC. My latency/stability is much better on the Mac, which is why.

But anyhow - If I run SAR on my PC, and use ASIO4all as the engine for it, and create a pair of playback and recording virtual cables, and run another instance of REAPER on my PC as a way to send my stereo master from my MAC (using ReaStream) and another ReaStream to send a monitored input from the PC to a channel on my Mac (which doesn't route to the master bus) this works.

I was just hoping for a simpler way, but using SAR does actually get me there. I imagine if using my interface on my PC were more stable, it would be perfect.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
davemann

While watching some videos on how to use SAR, I also came upon this gem:

http://www.niallmoody.com/apps/pedalboard2

So, instead of using REAPER on my PC where I run Zoom, OBS, or whatever else, I just run this guy and use the ReaPlugs version of ReaStream to connect the Ins/Outs to the SAR virtual cables on my Mac which I run REAPER on connected to my interface.

Not bad.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #5
AtmanActive

I use Pedalboard2 as well.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
AtmanActive

A word of advice: ASIO4All is a workaround.
It does NOT have a stable ASIO timing.
It just uses windows audio and patches it to EMULATE real ASIO. But is not a real ASIO.
So, for any production purposes, I would suggest to avoid ASIO4ALL and use a proper ASIO card with proper ASIO drivers.

ASIO was invented to enable audio software to talk directly to audio hardware without windows kernel in the middle. If there are no real ASIO drivers, then, there is no real connection to audio hardware. ASIO4All can NOT fix that. ASIO4All can only patch windows audio to make it visible under ASIO protocol, but all timing and quality issues that were there in the first place, are still there. So, the reason why ASIO was invented can not be fixed with ASIO4All.